#16 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,969 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

Armanti has never looked like a legit WR in past TC's....not sure why everyone is writing off his tremendous improvement as saying "he always looks good in TC".

#17 RelaxImaPro

RelaxImaPro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,439 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:56 PM

I've cracked jokes about Armanti, but damn I flipped my poo on both his big plays last season... I was really happy for the dude (aside from the obvious that it directly benefited us, but legitly happy for him as a person/player).  Even through all the joking I always wished the kid nothing but the best and hope he lights the league on fire this year.

The Man, the Myth, the Legend:  Armanti Edwards.

#18 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,057 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

tumblr_lriaismIO51qb972po1_500.gif

#19 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,412 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

Armanti has never looked like a legit WR in past TC's....not sure why everyone is writing off his tremendous improvement as saying "he always looks good in TC".

yep. before this year and early on TC it was "he always looks good in shorts, but wait until the pads come on." this wasn't just fans...it was the coaching staff.

then the pads came on this year and he's still doing good.

and then it's "just wait until he has to fight for the ball" and then he fights for the ball and he still looks good.

now it's "let's see if he can still do it when he knows he's going to be hit over the middle."

i'm not sold, yet, but i'm also not writing this kid off anymore. i'm more inclined to think that he's turned a corner than not. seeing is believing, but right now he's looking really good for the first time of his career...and it's happening consistently and late into training camp.

i hope we have legit weapons in him and ginn. right now it's really looking like we might.

#20 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,057 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

i don't want to speak to early, but i think armanti could possibly become the greatest wide receiver in the history of the nfl this year and if you disagree you're a gay communist nazi. 

#21 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,969 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

yep. before this year and early on TC it was "he always looks good in shorts, but wait until the pads come on." this wasn't just fans...it was the coaching staff.

then the pads came on this year and he's still doing good.

and then it's "just wait until he has to fight for the ball" and then he fights for the ball and he still looks good.

now it's "let's see if he can still do it when he knows he's going to be hit over the middle."

i'm not sold, yet, but i'm also not writing this kid off anymore. i'm more inclined to think that he's turned a corner than not. seeing is believing, but right now he's looking really good for the first time of his career...and it's happening consistently and late into training camp.

i hope we have legit weapons in him and ginn. right now it's really looking like we might.

Agreed.

It is not just that he has run some nice routes and catching with his hands.  The part that I like is that he is attacking DB's...going up over DB's to make catches...making the very difficult catches.

Really looks like the time and effor thas started to pay off.

I am VERY interested and excited to see how he does in Pre Season.  I hope he gets a ton of reps and balls out.

#22 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,542 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

good. now produce on the field

#23 The Golden Child

The Golden Child

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:10 PM

Want everyone on this team to succeed, but until I see this translate to a game I'm not on the bandwagon.

Exactly.

#24 LA_Panther

LA_Panther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:14 PM

I've decided to no longer get my hopes up on how we look or how a certain player looks the preseason.

#25 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,960 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:14 PM

Skepticism is required by righting him off and hoping that he doesn't succeed is foolish.

Brandon Williams hasn't played football in two years and there are people on this forum that have crowned him Antonio Gates 2.0.

It's exhausting to see so many fan/coaches on this forum. Your job isn't to critique him, it's to pull for him and hope he succeeds.

I know it's hard, but just forget the App State factor and pull for him because of his work ethic, his diligence to become a better player, and because he's a Carolin Panther.

#26 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

Very true.

As a former Armanti critic, I have said publicly this season he looks like a legitimate NFL wide receiver. I have never said that before.

#27 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

Brandon Williams hasn't played football in two years and there are people on this forum that have crowned him Antonio Gates 2.0.

To be fair, most here have said they would like him to grow into the #2 TE spot.

#28 sixtoes9134

sixtoes9134

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

Full disclosure, I am an ASU graduate.  As I'm sure you all can appreciate, he did a lot for our University which is why we are all such homers.  We would not be moving FBS next year without his accomplishments.  Toughness was never something he lacked in Boone, which is why I was surprised to hear Jonathan Jones on The Fan here in Raleigh today saying the knock on him has always been the ability to take a hit over the middle and/or in traffic.  No offense, but you can't have a knock on someone about taking a hit who has been played so little that nobody would even know whether he can take a hit.  I saw him go face first into numerous linebackers when he only weighed 180 and hold his own.  Never slid.  Always took or made a hit as a running QB.

But, at the end of the day, I guess we will see how things go starting Friday night and the next few weeks and whether he stays on the depth chart where he is now, or whether he falls.

#29 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,960 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

To be fair, most here have said they would like him to grow into the #2 TE spot.

Oh yeah no doubt, there are some great posters that are excited about Williams, as well as they should be. He is a physical specimen that rivals a Greek statue and with proper coaching from Coach Hoener, he could be a solid player.

The problem I have is that people haven't given Edwards the opportunity (like they are giving Williams to grown into the tight end position) to grow into the wide receiver position. We brought in a division 1-AA quarterback who hadn't played a lick of receiver, and expected him to automatically be the number two wide receiver.

If someone needs to be blamed, it needs to be the person that picked him as early as they did, and the coaches that failed to develop him.

Ricky Proehl has done a hell of a job in his first year as a position coach and all the wide receivers have said that he gives guys opportunities, something that the previous wide receiver coaches did not.

Like the next guy, I'm skeptical about Armanti; but I'm certainly not righting him off.

#30 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,662 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

Full disclosure, I am an ASU graduate.  As I'm sure you all can appreciate, he did a lot for our University which is why we are all such homers.  We would not be moving FBS next year without his accomplishments.  Toughness was never something he lacked in Boone, which is why I was surprised to hear Jonathan Jones on The Fan here in Raleigh today saying the knock on him has always been the ability to take a hit over the middle and/or in traffic.  No offense, but you can't have a knock on someone about taking a hit who has been played so little that nobody would even know whether he can take a hit.  I saw him go face first into numerous linebackers when he only weighed 180 and hold his own.  Never slid.  Always took or made a hit as a running QB.

But, at the end of the day, I guess we will see how things go starting Friday night and the next few weeks and whether he stays on the depth chart where he is now, or whether he falls.

This sentiment has been expressed numerous times by people who actually watched him play. Hell, I've said it many times myself, as a Boone native. The problem is that people have confused his timidity as a receiver with being scared to take a hit. In years past, Edwards played the receiver position timidly because he literally had to think about everything he was doing and wasn't able to play loose - he was playing very tight, inadvertently, by trying NOT to fug up. 

The difference this year has been that he no longer has to think about every little facet of how to be a receiver while he's playing. He can just....play. He can run routes fluidly and release on his breaks without hesitation. He can play to his ability, instead of to instruction. That's why he looks like a receiver, because he's actually playing like one.

The best analogy that I can think of is that AE played like a child first learning to read, the previous two years. He had to sound out every letter for every word as he went along. Now he can just see the words and know what they say without looking at the individual letters. That's the transition - he knows what to do and he can just let his natural gifts take over.

AE isn't, wasn't, and has never been afraid of contact. People saying that he is, have never seen him play - it's that simple. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com