Photo
- - - - -

Soooo.. Cam Newton was $cam Newton and destroyed the integrity if the NCAA, but Johnny Manziel is just a victim of the system?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,827 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:08 AM

Just for fun I went back and looked at the media reaction to Cam Newton's issues with the NCAA and the general media reaction for Johnny Manziel.

With Cam there seemed to be an earnest to stripping any records he or Auburn had or were in the process of having (accusations came mid season).  There was media on twitter falling over themselves to condemn Cam Newton and his father.

There was a fervor to dig up all they could on Cam and his family's past to try and find signs of a guy that didn't think the rules apply to him.

There were several articles about Cam Newton not having integrity like this one in the Orlando Sentinel

http://blogs.orlando...a-panthers.html

Now, Johnny Manziel has seen his fair share of bad press.  And deservedly so.

But there has been a desire by many in the media to change the narrative to Manziel just being a victim of the system.  Shifting blame and focus off of Johnny Manziel and onto the NCAA or autograph brokers.

Almost all of these start with a quick rebuff about Manziel with something like "Manziel did something dumb but...." then spend the rest of the time lambasting the NCAA or adult autograph seekers/brokers.  You also have Jay Bilas trolling the NCAA (both successfully and hilariously), but it also is by design to deflect blame off of Johnny Manziel and onto the NCAA.

I don't necessarily disagree with them.  But do you think there a double standard with Manziel.  People did not try to make Cam Newton's situation a NCAA issue until after they ruled he was in the clear and then it was outrage that they didn't find Cam ineligible not because of the system.  Before that, it was a story almost exclusively about Cam Newton and Cecil Newton.

But at least from my twitter feed, you would think that the Johnny Manziel issue is exclusively about the NCAA.

tl;dr version- do you think it is a double standard that Cam Newton's NCAA issues was all about Cam and Cecil Newton and the destruction of their character and integrity, but the Johnny Football issues has become primarily about the NCAA and how Johnny is a victim of a flawed system?

I am putting this in the tinderbox instead of college football sub forum because it will inevitably and properly have discussions of race being a part of it, so I wanted to put in the forum that would allow that discussion to take place.

Has anyone else been noticing this?

#2 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,006 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:38 AM

You are 100% correct.

It is pathetic and sickening to see how they have treated the two situations.

#3 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,570 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

And I am sure someone made some money when Johnny M commited too....I watched Blue Chips...I know how college recruiting works!

Cam never personally tried to put his school carelessly at risk like Johnny M is doing either.

johnny M definitely has a fake smile too.

#4 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,138 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

Cam had other issues (arressted for possession of stolen property) than just his dad trying to get paid.  Doesn't excuse Manziel's idiocy at all. 

#5 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,480 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:55 AM

Cam had other issues (arressted for possession of stolen property) than just his dad trying to get paid.  Doesn't excuse Manziel's idiocy at all. 

Hey, nice statement that doesn't actually make anything resembling a point!

#6 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,758 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

Johnny Manziel is a frigging idiot.

He's a victim of nothing but his own stupidity.

#7 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

You just can't trust those Italians at QB

#8 Katweiser

Katweiser

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:17 AM

I dont know if I buy into this, but I saw a list of the top guys at ESPN that are over college sports happen to Alabama alums. With ESPN being so big other news outlets will follow their lead. Enough coverage, then the NCAA will follow suit. Which by the way, Mark Emmert, the president of the NCAA happens to be best buds with Nick Saban. This might explain why stuff like this doesnt get any attention.....

1375025885044-1.jpg

may be nothing, but if you think about it, what evidence do we have on Johnny football that he got paid for autographs? Why is it a story? Alabama plays A&M the 2nd game of the season in just 1 month. Its a nice little distraction for Manziel, if he gets suspended for that game, that would very interseting......

#9 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,138 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

Hey, nice statement that doesn't actually make anything resembling a point!

You've got issues. 

#10 Nicks To The Colts

Nicks To The Colts

shitpost around the clock

• HUDDLER
  • 9,300 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

anybody still clinging to the notion of "amateurism" when it comes to the NCAA is kidding himself.

#11 dos poptarts

dos poptarts

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

Now ESPN stands to lose if Johnny isn't playing in the Bama game. If he's playing, it will be the #1 game of the day. If not, you may as well watch UNC vs Coastal Carolina.

#12 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,480 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

You've got issues. 

wink1.jpg

#13 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,886 posts
  • LocationRound about here

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

http://msn.foxsports...-scandal-080713

#14 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,006 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

come on dude....he bought a laptop that happened to be stolen.  He did not steal it.

Hell, half the electronics I owned in college (bought there) was probably hot.

#15 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,480 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

Martin had other issues (smmokked weed a few times, drug addict), than just being black in a white neighborhood. Doesn't excuse Maziel's idiocy at all. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.