Photo
- - - - -

Soooo.. Cam Newton was $cam Newton and destroyed the integrity if the NCAA, but Johnny Manziel is just a victim of the system?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#31 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

this is interesting...

http://lubbockonline..._075-4584.shtml

#32 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

HUDDLER

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

Anyone with a clue can see why this is the way it is, and it's sad.  Granted, I do think these NCAA players need to get paid something, and I hope that changes, but yes, the double standard is unfair.  Social media is blowing up these things also. 

#33 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

HUDDLER

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

Adam Gold speaks to the NCAA hypocrisy...but it still doesn't excuse what Manziel did because any NCAA D1 athlete knows these freaking rules.

http://www.wralsport...tball/12753571/

#34 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

HUDDLER

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

I'm tired of seeing Cam Newton linked to Jonny U's problems in almost every article nowadays.

#35 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

First and foremost,  can anyone here show where I've said what Manziel has done is no big deal?  You judge people on THEIR actions.  Quit trying to generalize everyone into a certain group and make *** for tat comparisons when if you ask athletes regarding negative comments would prefer you not compare them to negatives of other athletes.  Something people caught hell for (deservedly so) regarding Cam turning into Jamarcus v2.0 or Vince Young v2.0.  Want to wallow in this?  Have at it, but your life is going to be constantly miserable attempting to find the next one-up that didn't get equal treatment by public opinion OR a bunch of narrow-shouldered liberal writers from ESPN. 

I actually think what Manziel did is worse that what Cam did.

Cam bought a laptop that turned out to be stolen.  If he got a fantastic price on it, maybe he should have assumed it was stolen, but he did not steal it.

Manziel allegedly has accepted thousands of dollars to sign memorabelia......KNOWING that it absolutely was against NCAA rules and would be huge violation both for himself and the university.

Manziel's actions are definitely worse.

#36 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

Anyone with a clue can see why this is the way it is, and it's sad.  Granted, I do think these NCAA players need to get paid something, and I hope that changes, but yes, the double standard is unfair.  Social media is blowing up these things also. 

They actually do get paid....in the form of thousands of dollars of tuition.

But, I know exactly what you mean.

I agree that part of their scholarship should be a small/moderate monthly stipend.  Enough money to allow them to go to the movies...go out on a date...buy a pizza some times.  Without that, you are really putting them in a bind.

They can't get a PT job due to their school/sport commitment and thus you are putting them in a situation where they are likely to cheat.

#37 mav1234

mav1234

HUDDLER

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

honestly considering the cost of an education typically, I think the free ride is a pretty good fuging paycheck.  Maybe it is less so for these guys because the education they receive may not be... the best in some cases, but I do not know if I agree with paying them.

I dunno, I know the schools are just profiting a poo ton from these guys and maybe that profit should be distributed differently but unless you're going to start charging these guys tuition and going to scholarships based on academics alone I don't think paying them is the best idea.

#38 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

HUDDLER

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

"They" (athletes) don't put a whole lot of worth in the education reimbursement because, let's face it, ones with the intent to just jump right into professional sports do not care about what they make in Spanish 101.  UNC-Ch living proof....even in super-dumbed down classes.

So that's why that money's not really considered as reimbursement.

#39 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

"They" (athletes) don't put a whole lot of worth in the education reimbursement because, let's face it, ones with the intent to just jump right into professional sports do not care about what they make in Spanish 101. UNC-Ch living proof....even in super-dumbed down classes.

So that's why that money's not really considered as reimbursement.

People who expect to jump to the pros are a vast minority. And even many of them take their education seriously.

Not only do they get a free education, they are given the largest non professional platform in the world to showcase those talents in order to grow their future potential income.

They don't have to go to college. They can go to Europe or the NBADL if they play basketball or to the CFL to play football.

They choose to play for the NCAA because it gives them the best opportunity to become pro.

I am not for the schools and NCAA paying players. But I would like to see them eliminate agent rules on payments to kids but don't allow students to sign contracts with them until they turn pro. If those guys want to dump money into college kids without a contract let those sleaze be the ones who pay them.

#40 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

honestly considering the cost of an education typically, I think the free ride is a pretty good fuging paycheck. Maybe it is less so for these guys because the education they receive may not be... the best in some cases, but I do not know if I agree with paying them.

I dunno, I know the schools are just profiting a poo ton from these guys and maybe that profit should be distributed differently but unless you're going to start charging these guys tuition and going to scholarships based on academics alone I don't think paying them is the best idea.

To me, the need of a stipend us not about the free tuition. Yes, that us a nice chunk if change. However, athletes can't even work a PT job to have spending money. Many come from families that can't send money every week. They can't even buy a pizza. With no pocket change, we are setting them up for failure.