58 replies to this topic

#16 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,457 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:40 PM

Yeah because that is ONLY thing included.  

In my defense, it's the only thing I was talking about.

All the add-ons are your typical political horseshit, slimy.

#17 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,811 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:07 PM

Gotcha.  Personally I have more issue with the other things included.  The ID thing by itself, I'm not too upset about, even though it does target certain groups by design, it's probably not insane to want some kind of an ID.

#18 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,019 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

Gotcha.  Personally I have more issue with the other things included.  The ID thing by itself, I'm not too upset about, even though it does target certain groups by design, it's probably not insane to want some kind of an ID.

I'm with you, I find it ridiculous that you don't have to show your ID to vote, but I don't want the government wasting time and resources implementing stupid laws.

I would have loved to not hear about abortion reform, obamacare, or voter ID until the economy was strengthened and the tax codes whipped into shape.

Not even going to talk about real budget cuts, and fixing the stupid debt issues.

#19 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,563 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:56 AM

I'm with you, I find it ridiculous that you don't have to show your ID to vote, but I don't want the government wasting time and resources implementing stupid laws.

Well considering that voting is a constitutionally protected right and that having an ID isn't a legal requirement....I don't find it ridiculous. 

#20 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,329 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:01 AM

Stupid policy...especially if they were specifically targeting certain demographics. 

#21 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,353 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

Well considering that voting is a constitutionally protected right and that having an ID isn't a legal requirement....I don't find it ridiculous. 

The new law does NOT impact your constitutional right. 

The constitutional right is that every eligible citizen has the right to vote.  All the ID requirement does is ensures that this right is only afforded to eligible citizens.

#22 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,820 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

I understand the arguments about how voter ID may disenfranchise a certain demographic, mainly the poor...

What I want to know is how people without ID function in daily life?  Do they not drive?  Do they not get forms and papers from gov't agencies?  Do they not buy alcohol?  Do they not cash checks?

This article makes  a lot of sense...

http://www.dailykos....he-Virginia-way

#23 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,353 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

I understand the arguments about how voter ID may disenfranchise a certain demographic, mainly the poor...

What I want to know is how people without ID function in daily life?  Do they not drive?  Do they not get forms and papers from gov't agencies?  Do they not buy alcohol?  Do they not cash checks?

This article makes  a lot of sense...

http://www.dailykos....he-Virginia-way

And......an ID will be provided for them free of charge.

Libs can argue that the program does not warrant the additional costs....and that is a valid debate. 

But, arguing that the poor will now be disenfranchised and not be able to vote is laughable.  They get a FREE ID....all they have to do is go get it. 

Maybe that is just too much work and trouble for them.

#24 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,810 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

i want the id thing to be fully implemented so what is found or NOT found will totally shut up BOTH sides. epic waste of time and money in the mean time.

#25 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

I would disagree, by saying that I do not believe the intent of the voter ID laws are to discriminate against minorities.

Stop and frisk basically spelled it out.

how did it "spell it out"?

e: i would be in favor of voter id if in-person voter fraud actually happened at a level that could sway elections. the risk isn't worth the reward. in-person voter fraud is a non-existent problem. the question is, why are we addressing non-existent problems with government intervention? this type of legislation shouldn't be popular with anyone to the right or left. the right because it's a pointless expansion of big gubmint, and the left because it disproportionately affects minorities. so why are there people out there who support it? do they stand to gain? when republicans continue to lose elections due to shifting demographics, what will they blame? there's no upside here

#26 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,329 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

Voter-ID deniers should understand that this is wanted by a majority of Americans. 

#27 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 17,014 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:33 AM

Unfortunately the answer to many of these is no. Or they manage to do it without ID. Drive without a license etc.

Articles state that round 300,000 people have no form of ID in NC. If the law is done right they don't have to be discriminated against. At the same time the only group of people that this law could hurt is these 300,000 who are also mostly poor and black.

This is an easy law for republicans to vote for since it will not not affect their constituencies. It is a little funny that McCory states that a photo ID is normal for getting on an airplane or renting sports equipment. I seriously doubt a black kid living in lumberton below the poverty line is planning his next trip to San Francisco or thinking about renting a wakeboard.

#28 Guest_CarolinaBlacknBlueblood_*

Guest_CarolinaBlacknBlueblood_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:33 AM

how did it "spell it out"?

e: i would be in favor of voter id if in-person voter fraud actually happened at a level that could sway elections. the risk isn't worth the reward. in-person voter fraud is a non-existent problem. the question is, why are we addressing non-existent problems with government intervention? this type of legislation shouldn't be popular with anyone to the right or left. the right because it's a pointless expansion of big gubmint, and the left because it disproportionately affects minorities. so why are there people out there who support it? do they stand to gain? when republicans continue to lose elections due to shifting demographics, what will they blame? there's no upside here

Unfortunately the answer to many of these is no. Or they manage to do it without ID. Drive without a license etc.

Articles state that round 300,000 people have no form of ID in NC. If the law is done right they don't have to be discriminated against. At the same time the only group of people that this law could hurt is these 300,000 who are also mostly poor and black.

This is an easy law for republicans to vote for since it will not not affect their constituencies. It is a little funny that McCory states that a photo ID is normal for getting on an airplane or renting sports equipment. I seriously doubt a black kid living in lumberton below the poverty line is planning his next trip to San Francisco or thinking about renting a wakeboard.

Thats not true. You cant get ounlic assistance with out a government issued state id, you also cant cash your government check withoit a oicture id. All this is is leftist propaganda. I hope that a kid in limberton isnt thinking ahout voting either.

#29 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,563 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

Thats not true. You cant get ounlic assistance with out a government issued state id, you also cant cash your government check withoit a oicture id. All this is is leftist propaganda. I hope that a kid in limberton isnt thinking ahout voting either.

all the spelling errors aside, pretty much none of what you said is true. You can get public assistance without a state ID. You can use any official letter sent to your address as proof of ID and residency, let alone that SS cards and Birth Certs all qualify. 

Also, outside of a few specific cases, government "checks" don't come in check form. The funds are loaded onto benefit cards that work like debit/credit cards. 

#30 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 17,014 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

What floppin said.

I have read the 300k number in several places. I guess it could just be made up by leftys but I doubt it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.