- - - - -

NY stop-and-frisk policy violated the constitutional rights of minorities

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_CarolinaBlacknBlueblood_*

Guest_CarolinaBlacknBlueblood_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

all the spelling errors aside, pretty much none of what you said is true. You can get public assistance without a state ID. You can use any official letter sent to your address as proof of ID and residency, let alone that SS cards and Birth Certs all qualify.

Also, outside of a few specific cases, government "checks" don't come in check form. The funds are loaded onto benefit cards that work like debit/credit cards.

You can't function in this society without a valid ID. I'm sorry, if you lack the motivation to aquire a state ID, how can you be trusted to help decide who our leaders will be? All this is pointless anyway, considering state IDs will be free to low income folks. For future reference, spelling error= adress vs address. Typo= picture vs oicture. Thanks.

What floppin said.

I have read the 300k number in several places. I guess it could just be made up by leftys but I doubt it.

It's the same argument and the same numbers they used in Georgia a few years ago. Recycled failed arguments, that's what the left is best atm

#32 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,896 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

You can't function in this society without a valid ID. I'm sorry, if you lack the motivation to aquire a state ID, how can you be trusted to help decide who our leaders will be? All this is pointless anyway, considering state IDs will be free to low income folks. For future reference, spelling error= adress vs address. Typo= picture vs oicture. Thanks.

It's the same argument and the same numbers they used in Georgia a few years ago. Recycled failed arguments, that's what the left is best atm

So it's just made up lies. Gotcha. How many people in NC do you think operate without an ID?

I've met people with no ID when I got my first job selling shitty life insurance in Spencer NC. Your typical 85 year old black lady never drove, probably never had a valid birth certificate and dealt all in cash. And besides being dirt poor, did just fine. And voted religiously.

#33 Guest_CarolinaBlacknBlueblood_*

• Guests

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:04 PM

So it's just made up lies. Gotcha. How many people in NC do you think operate without an ID?

I've met people with no ID when I got my first job selling shitty life insurance in Spencer NC. Your typical 85 year old black lady never drove, probably never had a valid birth certificate and dealt all in cash. And besides being dirt poor, did just fine. And voted religiously.

That's a very specific "typical" demographic you pointed out. I would imagine there aren't enough 85 year old black ladies who never drove, to exceed the total population of Greensboro North Carolina.

#34 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,896 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

That's a very specific "typical" demographic you pointed out. I would imagine there aren't enough 85 year old black ladies who never drove, to exceed the total population of Greensboro North Carolina.

Nor did I suggest this was the only demographic that represent citizens without government ID.

#35 Guest_CarolinaBlacknBlueblood_*

• Guests

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:01 PM

Nor did I suggest this was the only demographic that represent citizens without government ID.

I would highly doubt the number of folks without a valid ID would exceed the population of Traphill, North Carolina. State IDs aren't the only IDs accepted at the poles.

#36 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,896 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

I would highly doubt the number of folks without a valid ID would exceed the population of Traphill, North Carolina. State IDs aren't the only IDs accepted at the poles.

Polls. I doubt your doubt is based on anything concrete besides preconceived notions..

It's a fair debate whether voter ID laws are discriminatory and I suggest they are not if presented fairly. But maybe they are.

But the debate about whether there are a material number of people who don't have IDs in the state is fruitless. If you can't move past that then any further debate is silly.

#37 Guest_CarolinaBlacknBlueblood_*

• Guests

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:51 AM

Here's the thing, the fact that a majority of North Carolinians agree with voter id makes all this a mute point. Whether it is discriminatory or not seems to be only based on folks own paranoia. Does it disproportionatly affect blacks, probably. Does that it make it a racist law? absolutely not. Its all in how you perceive the world around you.

#38 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,662 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

Find any majority in any group that doesn't support voter id.

http://www.elon.edu/...oll_voterID.pdf

You can argue individually about the other issues, but voter id alone has widespread support across all ages, demographics, political affiliation, and gender. 

#39 Guest_CarolinaBlacknBlueblood_*

• Guests

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

Moot point...

#40 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,196 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

Unfortunately the answer to many of these is no. Or they manage to do it without ID. Drive without a license etc.

Articles state that round 300,000 people have no form of ID in NC. If the law is done right they don't have to be discriminated against. At the same time the only group of people that this law could hurt is these 300,000 who are also mostly poor and black.

This is an easy law for republicans to vote for since it will not not affect their constituencies. It is a little funny that McCory states that a photo ID is normal for getting on an airplane or renting sports equipment. I seriously doubt a black kid living in lumberton below the poverty line is planning his next trip to San Francisco or thinking about renting a wakeboard.

They will be given a FREE ID and have three years to go get it. So, they are not being hurt or disenfranchised.

#41 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,896 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

They will be given a FREE ID and have three years to go get it. So, they are not being hurt or disenfranchised.

I don't have an issue with this, however some people will simply not get the free ID. May be their own fault but the law can only lower the minority voting pool. And even a few thousand less democratic voters is material. Recall Obama won by like 12k votes in NC in 2008 

If it is do be done fairly the state should spend a fair amount of money getting the IDs into the hands of those who don't currently have one.

#42 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,662 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

I don't have an issue with this, however some people will simply not get the free ID. May be their own fault but the law can only lower the minority voting pool. And even a few thousand less democratic voters is material. Recall Obama won by like 12k votes in NC in 2008 

If it is do be done fairly the state should spend a fair amount of money getting the IDs into the hands of those who don't currently have one.

There is money allocated to do just that.

#43 Guest_CarolinaBlacknBlueblood_*

• Guests

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

It won't cost the state as much money as some are saying. They told voters in Georgia, 300,000 ids would need to be issued in the first year. Since 2007, only 27,000 have been applied for. If you're a voter who cares about voting, then you will get the ID. If you're someone who was just bussed in and told how to vote, you may not get the ID. Our state wins, and those looking to stack the election lose.

#44 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,662 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

It won't cost the state as much money as some are saying. They told voters in Georgia, 300,000 ids would need to be issued in the first year. Since 2007, only 27,000 have been applied for. If you're a voter who cares about voting, then you will get the ID. If you're someone who was just bussed in and told how to vote, you may not get the ID. Our state wins, and those looking to stack the election lose.

27,000?  That's all?  NC and Georgia are near identical in population and probably demographic makeup.  What're the chicken little groups here in NC estimating to disenfranchise?

#45 Guest_CarolinaBlacknBlueblood_*

• Guests

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

Here's a great article refuting all the garbage being spread by the NAACP.
http://www.ncspin.co...w-that-we-dont/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com