Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Backfield speaks of "broken promises"...

66 posts in this topic

Posted

This makes me more optimistic that we will actually run the ball when we need to.

Posted

With the comments from Deangelo and now Tolbert, seems pretty clear it's not just sour grapes.

Let's hope they can make good on all this run talk.

Posted

I always felt they ran to much out of the option, and not enough traditional run formations.

Having a feared passing attack is great.

Having a feared rushing attack

makes the passing attack even morr difficult to defend.

1 person likes this

Posted

then he's going to be awfully disappointed this year splitting snaps with williams, stewart, and barner

Posted

so why the HC didnt inform his OC to stick to the game plan?

Posted

then he's going to be awfully disappointed this year splitting snaps with williams, stewart, and barner

I don't think he's concerned with splitting carries (or padding his stats as someone alluded to earlier in the thread)..  He even said as much when Stewart returns to the field.

I think he's primarily talking about the game plan like DWill brought up a while back. 

Being told he would be game planned as a hybrid/2nd TE role and yet was forgotten..  Just as DWill said Chud would game plan to run the ball all week in practice, and then completely ditch it during the game.

If I were in their position I would at least like to see consistency from my coach instead of flying by the seat of his pants as soon as the game starts.

Posted

This article makes me yearn for a shula ran offense... I am not sure how to feel about this..

lol sig. 

Posted

chud was up his own ass for 2 years... i agree.

Fits right in with Cleveland

Posted

i'm thinking/hoping a couple things happen this year.

1) we have more offensive plays than last year thanks to a faster paced/streamlined offense and the ability to extend drives. last year we had 988 offensive plays vs. 1010 defensive ones. this needs to at least be flipflopped. it's possible for us to be in the top 10 # of defensive plays made and top 10 fewest defensive plays. (we had 10th fewest defensive plays last year vs. 25th most offensive plays...top 10 last year would have been 1040 plays). this means we are more efficient as a team, but also very controlling/dominant, ie, imposing our will on both sides of the ball.

2) we are also balanced between run and pass. i don't mean it has to be 50/50 exactly, but definitely within just a couple percentage points between running and passing. being a top 10 team in regards to offensive plays would mean about 65 plays per game. balanced would have us at around 32 running plays and 32 passing plays.

that 32 would be quite a bit and would have us in the top 3 rushing teams for the year (at least as far as # of rushing plays goes) but even that would be hard to split among the backs we have.

you have to expect that barner will get about 3-4 at least and then tolbert and cam will probably have between 5-7 per game. that would only leave about 8-9 for williams and stewart each per game. it would be nice to get them a few more carries per game, but i just don't see that happening. however, i do think it's a respectable number for an RB corps as a whole. much better than the last two years for sure.

2 people like this

Posted

I hated Chud.....but it ain't like when he was running the RBs last year....they were producing enough to stick with it heavily.

Now I definitely think he was lazy and just relied on Cam to get him a job and was a horrible situational play caller.....

But of your RB is going nowhere....consistantly...wouldn't you get away from it.

I am not saying that is sufficient reasoning for Chud's poo.....but it does need to be remembered that overall the ground game was not doing great when called upon

Posted

I don't think he's concerned with splitting carries (or padding his stats as someone alluded to earlier in the thread)..  He even said as much when Stewart returns to the field.

I think he's primarily talking about the game plan like DWill brought up a while back. 

Being told he would be game planned as a hybrid/2nd TE role and yet was forgotten..  Just as DWill said Chud would game plan to run the ball all week in practice, and then completely ditch it during the game.

If I were in their position I would at least like to see consistency from my coach instead of flying by the seat of his pants as soon as the game starts.

Agreed. I think Tolbert is coming from the stand point, of he was utilized much better the second half of the season, than the first. I.e; it wasn't so much total numbers. But the overall consistency of his utilization through out the season. 

Posted

Chud got caught up in using Cam to run the ball and forgot about our talented and expensive backfield... I can understand why both DeAngelo and Tolbert were frustrated. 

2 people like this