Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

smitty interview on 'the drive'

Best Answer SevenSixes, 13 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

btw, if anyone who actually got to listen to the interview could provide some context for some of those statements it would be great.

the two that i would like to hear more about is the shula/davidson (non)comparison and jeff byers (did he just mention him, or did he mention others?)

The whole interview is available to listen to here.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,199 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

A WHOLE PIE!

via twitter...

Smith: "Now with my age, I get up every morning with a purpose, with a goal I want to accomplish."

Smith on still having passion as a veteran: "...that thirst and desire...I have that key role still."

Smith compares getting out to a fast start to a boxing match. Says you don't want to start fighting in the 5th round when you're beat up.

Smith: "In the WR department, Armanti Edwards has stepped up, tremendously."

Smith: "A guy that I'm always tough on, and will always be tough...but that has really stepped up is Josh Norman."

Smith said Norman is listening to the technique/teaching from his coaches and combine that with his talent, "things are coming easy to him".

Smith on if he's seen Cam Newton make smarter decisions and check down more during this camp: "I've seen it, I think we've all seen it."

Smith on if current OC Mike Shula is similar to former OC Jeff Davidson: "No that is not accurate at all."

Smith on if fans should be concerned about O-line: "They are going be concerned because they aren't familiar with the names, they aren't comfortable...sometimes change is good."

Smith on O-line: "They are gelling and working together and they are getting better everyday."

Smitty says G Jeff Byers is the kind of guy you want to go into a fight with you.

Smith: "James Anderson asked 'What kinda day we having?'...I said if I get the opportunity, I'm going to knock your ass out."

Smith on convo with James Anderson: "The difference is, he's a former teammate so I would pick him up off the ground."

Smith on Kenjon Barner: "He is such a patient runner...He reminds me so much of Warrick Dunn."

Smith has very high praise for Kenjon Barner, says he's "jealous" of Barner's abilities.

Smith on why his relationship with Cam has grown: "We have checked egos at the door & that has helped. We've taken each other at our word"

Smith: "There's no place I'd rather be, no place I'd rather play, no place I'd rather call home than Charlotte, NC."

very high praise for norman and barner. i'm not used to smitty being so positive. i can't remember him being so vocal like this ever...at least not positively.

#2 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,199 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

btw, if anyone who actually got to listen to the interview could provide some context for some of those statements it would be great.

the two that i would like to hear more about is the shula/davidson (non)comparison and jeff byers (did he just mention him, or did he mention others?)

#3 1989

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

Loved this:

Smith: "There's no place I'd rather be, no place I'd rather play, no place I'd rather call home than Charlotte, NC."

#4 0115

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:53 PM

:,)

#5 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,449 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:01 PM

Smitty is the man. Who was asking these questions though? Jeff Davidson? Come on man, lol.

#6 Panthercougar68

Panthercougar68

The Nice

• HUDDLER
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

I can't remember is Taylor said it but smith agreed the difference between Davidson and Shula is that Davidson's approach was a "check down to touchdown kind of guy" while Shula is a "touchdown to check down kind of guy". In regards to how conservative they are on offense.

The fear is becoming the run, run, pass, punt offense again but they mentioned that it will be nowhere near as conservative as it was back in those days.

Basically saying, yes we will run the ball more but in no way is Shula as conservative as Davidson.

#7 dugbug

dugbug

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

Is there any better panther?  Seriously, he is the man.

#8 Panthercougar68

Panthercougar68

The Nice

• HUDDLER
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:12 PM

I love the tough love comments about Norman more than anything.

#9 rdog157h

rdog157h

• ALL-PRO
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

He will get a statue for sure! Hopefully right beside Jerry Richardsons!

#10 TruthVsComfort

TruthVsComfort

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

Fantastic. Smith is the greatest Panther of all time and I am very excited about both Norman and Barner.

#11 SpeedOFLight

SpeedOFLight

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts
  • LocationGreensboro NC

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

Great find! He does seem more vocal and positive. That is a good thing. He is building his team mates up which is a big confidence booster

#12 SpeedOFLight

SpeedOFLight

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts
  • LocationGreensboro NC

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

Great find! He does seem more vocal and positive. That is a good thing. He is building his team mates up which is a big confidence booster

#13 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,395 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

Not to make it into a Cam thread, but the checking egos at the door comment was nice. Shows the maturity of Cam, and probably Smitty loosening up a bit and letting this be a little more Cam's offense as opposed to the Smitty of old demanding the ball constantly/being pissed if he wasn't getting it. 

Love the praise for Barner (if he becomes anything like Dunn, awesome), and Norman especially. I was on the Norman bandwagon last year and feel like he has the attitude and talent to become a great corner for us. 

#14 Leeroy Jenkins PhD

Leeroy Jenkins PhD

HCIC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

#greatestpantherever

#15 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

I think the Warrick Dunn comparison is really high praise...and pretty accurate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com