Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

NFL power rankings (yeah i know its way early)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#31 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

SUPPORTER

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

[Young sports journalist]
Hmmm... So you're saying I could spend 50-60 hours a week researching, writing, fact checking, & otherwise doing my job, thus building my reputation & gaining the respect of tens of thousands of knowledgeable football fans... Or I could let others do that, spend 7-8 hours a week reading their work & finding a blurb I could twisy to mean whatever I wanted, come up with a few snarky, obnoxious quips, & gain the readership of the millions of bandwagon jumping knuckle draggers who post my crap everywhere, leading to the casual fan & even the knowledgeable fan clicking on my site, thus gaining a nationally syndicated column or radio/TV show?[Young sports journalist]

Yep, as a young(ish) man trying to break in to the uber competitive world of sports journalism I get that.  You can say the right thing and dwell in mediocrity or even worse for your very, very short career, Or, you can sensationalize a towel, a smile, a punching incident that is 5 years old, an imaginary probowl incident, or The Golden Calf of Bristol and fly up the ranks to find a seat at the 4 letter network.  Its a real bitch.

#32 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:13 AM

Yep, as a young(ish) man trying to break in to the uber competitive world of sports journalism I get that. You can say the right thing and dwell in mediocrity or even worse for your very, very short career, Or, you can sensationalize a towel, a smile, a punching incident that is 5 years old, an imaginary probowl incident, or The Golden Calf of Bristol and fly up the ranks to find a seat at the 4 letter network. Its a real bitch.

Its what made me change majors.

#33 OneBadCat

OneBadCat

HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:20 AM

Redskins at #10? Really?  Not to mention Rams, Bears, Cowboys and Saints are listed above the cats. Stupid rankings.

#34 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

SUPPORTER

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

Its what made me change majors.

2 words my friend, New Media.  It's where its at.  Pod-casts, blogs, social media.  You can develope a loyal following organically.  It's made all the difference for me.

#35 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

Yep, as a young(ish) man trying to break in to the uber competitive world of sports journalism I get that.  You can say the right thing and dwell in mediocrity or even worse for your very, very short career, Or, you can sensationalize a towel, a smile, a punching incident that is 5 years old, an imaginary probowl incident, or The Golden Calf of Bristol and fly up the ranks to find a seat at the 4 letter network.  Its a real bitch.

headlines sell better than content.

#36 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

SUPPORTER

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:34 AM

headlines sell better than content.

To the lowest common denominator you are correct.  But look at how many ple are actually fed up with this form of journalism.  There is a growing market for substance over flash.  For those laying the ground work for that now it will pay dividends later.

#37 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

HUDDLER

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:38 AM

This isn't college power rankings don't mean poo in the NFL

#38 Guest_HelloWorld_*

Guest_HelloWorld_*
Guests

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

I'll take that. I don't want us going into the season with too much expectation. Most team have that guy at WR but we don't. Plus, our defense is yet to be tested in its updated form. I think we'll win 10-11 games but won't be surprises if we only win 8.

#39 Guest_HelloWorld_*

Guest_HelloWorld_*
Guests

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

Dolphins over the Giants? Bengals over the Ravens, Packers, and Patriots?

This is a troll job.

The Bengals is not to be messed with though. They have that defense plus their 1st round TE to line up with A.J. They might be a 12 win team this year. The AFC is not that strong.

#40 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

HUDDLER

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

Redskins at #10? Really? Not to mention Rams, Bears, Cowboys and Saints are listed above the cats. Stupid rankings.

Griffin is on ESPN literally about 23 hours a day, thus the ranking.

The Cowboys get over rated EVERY year, thus the ranking.

The Saints are a glory hole pick because fake good guy Brees has his Vicodin stealing addict coach back, thus the ranking.

Rams are the popular sleeper, thus the ranking.

The Bears won 10 games last year, thus the ranking.

We have a paper thin oline, a yet to be tested secondary, and a coach that makes questionable game day decisions. Thus our ranking.

#41 rayzor

rayzor

Moderators

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

To the lowest common denominator you are correct.  But look at how many ple are actually fed up with this form of journalism.  There is a growing market for substance over flash.  For those laying the ground work for that now it will pay dividends later.

among readers, maybe. 

among those who view journalism as mainly a means to sell advertising (ie, the ones who do the hiring) it's all about the headlines. if you want to work and make enough money to live on, you have to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

#42 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

HUDDLER

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

, you have to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Aka Cowboy, Redskin, Saint, and Steeler fans

#43 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

HUDDLER

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:54 PM

this is the same website that has a video titled "RG3 on Shark Week and on RG3"

mother of god

#44 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

SUPPORTER

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

among readers, maybe. 

among those who view journalism as mainly a means to sell advertising (ie, the ones who do the hiring) it's all about the headlines. if you want to work and make enough money to live on, you have to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Maybe I'm just stuborn but I refuse to believe that there arent still smart and informed people out there somewhere.  I've never bought into the post music video MTV society.  I believe in the silent majority that quietly mocks these people and are wondering when someone will finaly stand up to the stupidity and give the people the proper information and respect they deserve.  I may be very lonely in this dream but its mine and I plan on keeping it that way.  The time will come when enough people are done being lead by the reigns and look to make their own way.

*steps off soapbox*  *drops mic*

#45 rayzor

rayzor

Moderators

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

Maybe I'm just stuborn but I refuse to believe that there arent still smart and informed people out there somewhere.  I've never bought into the post music video MTV society.  I believe in the silent majority that quietly mocks these people and are wondering when someone will finaly stand up to the stupidity and give the people the proper information and respect they deserve.  I may be very lonely in this dream but its mine and I plan on keeping it that way.  The time will come when enough people are done being lead by the reigns and look to make their own way.

*steps off soapbox*  *drops mic*

those people definitely exist, they just don't click on ads.

the outlets that make the money do stuff that appeals to the people who get excited about shiny things hanging in front of them. this isn't something new, though. newspapers and every othernews outlet make their money through advertising. it's all about the money eventually. if you aren't about the money, you don't stick around. to get that money, you need flash and drama. substance and authenticity is boring.

if youbwant to earn a living in journalism, you have to be able to supply the flash and the drama and keep it short , simple, and essentially stupid. if you can't do that, you won't get hired.