137 replies to this topic

#16 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,539 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

There will be correlation issues here as always. Religious people are more likely to be poor conservatives right?

Atheists are more likely to be rich and therefore educated...

http://www.patheos.c...ts-religiosity/

#17 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,058 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

thats why the study and reactions are funny cat. if someone posted a "study" that said religious people were smarter don't you think you would go oh wait a sec or look at who did the study and find a way to diminish it?

I actually thought about that. I'd look into the study and see how reliable it was, however I wouldn't just say, they must be bias and dismiss it.

#18 Big A

Big A

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,447 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:18 AM

Am I the only Athiest on this board? As for intelligence, I've always scored high ninety percentile on standardized tests growing up and 5 years ago took the Wechsler Adult intelligence test administered by UNO over two days and scored High Superior. Also I am pretty successful at my work so all in all the article seems pretty dead on.

#19 SZ James

SZ James

1 888 CAM PAIN

• HUDDLER
  • 7,433 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:22 AM

^:cam2:

#20 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,349 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:33 AM

thats why the study and reactions are funny cat. if someone posted a "study" that said religious people were smarter don't you think you would go oh wait a sec or look at who did the study and find a way to diminish it?

I'd look at the methodology before concluding that, actually, and try to explain the results with logic based on the writing of what was done rather than "well clearly the authors are just bias."

Then again, I'm a bias non believer.

#21 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,563 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

Am I the only Athiest on this board? As for intelligence, I've always scored high ninety percentile on standardized tests growing up and 5 years ago took the Wechsler Adult intelligence test administered by UNO over two days and scored High Superior. Also I am pretty successful at my work so all in all the article seems pretty dead on.

I can't imagine that selling boarded up shacks to retards in Louisiana is all that hard... not a great proof.

#22 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,349 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

don't have time on lunch break to actually try to break this study down at all, but http://www.scribd.co...ed-Explanations for those of you that want to actually read it rather than going off of popular press articles and/or dismissing it because it upsets you.

My primary questions on this would be:

1) did they account for socioeconomic factors? 

2) did they account for geographical differences and access to education (which is tied to #1)?

3) what measure of intelligence did they use, same with religiosity?  while I read the quotes in the OP I would like to know the specific measures used for this stuff.

4) how did they correct for differences in education, if at all?

5) stats, and assumptions of the tests they made.  my area of biology loves stats :P

I am more curious if they're finding a correlation between amount of education and intelligence and that individuals with higher levels of education tend to come from groups less likely to be religious.  I dunno, need to look into it

as I said, I'm not passing judgement on the conclusions as I haven't had a chance to read through it

#23 SZ James

SZ James

1 888 CAM PAIN

• HUDDLER
  • 7,433 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

Meh, IQ testing isn't the end all be all for measuring mental ability

#24 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

• HUDDLER
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

Shocking. : \

#25 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,204 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:48 AM

Meh, IQ testing isn't the end all be all for measuring mental ability

you know how many times i said this in a job interview just as they are shooing me out the door? :lol:

#26 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,744 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

Use the brain that God gave you! Just not too much

#27 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,517 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

atheism generally requires at least a basic level of critical thinking as a prerequisite, religion generally does not.

Even though there are religious people that think critically (and plenty of them), the less intelligent among them will drag down the overall average.

This isn't rocket science.

#28 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,058 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

I think superstition shows a lack of intelligence. And while there are a lot of superstitions attached to religious beliefs I think one can be religious and not be very superstitious.

#29 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:16 PM

atheism generally requires at least a basic level of critical thinking as a prerequisite, religion generally does not.

Even though there are religious people that think critically (and plenty of them), the less intelligent among them will drag down the overall average.

This isn't rocket science.

Was going to post basically the same thing.

#30 Big A

Big A

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,447 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

I can't imagine that selling boarded up shacks to retards in Louisiana is all that hard... not a great proof.

A quick search will reveal I listed just listed an office building at $1.49 M and Vacanf land zoned BC-1 for $875k just this morning, not exactly boarded up shacks and over $100k in commission when sold. FAIL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.