137 replies to this topic

#121 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,506 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:09 AM

First off, let me just say:  I feel extremely privileged to be posting in the same forum as so many intellectuals!  :)

Unfortunately for the high IQ types, marketing religion as the only path to "eternal salvation" was inevitably going to attract all sorts of riff raff to the fold.  People are only required to "believe" and they are in!  That pretty much explains the "less intelligent" finding in the OP's study.

Sadly, for every intellectual type, there are millions more faithful praying to a soggy corn flake that looks like Jesus.  

Frankly, these hayseeds are just dragging down the flock's average and publicly embarrassing the big brained bunch in the Tinder Box.  If you think that is bad, can you imagine having to share eternity with all these knuckleheads? Talk about a living h-e-l-l-o!

Well the good news is, there is still time to correct this grave error! 

The TB Brainiacs should organize an emergency prayer-a-thon imploring the "Big Guy In The Sky" to raise his standards of admittance!  God could then engrave the new rules on a stone tablet or even better yet, post them on Facebook.

It would be the Modern Miracle everyone(even atheists)have been praying for!!!!!  

Proof of God's existence and a significant improvement in his flock's IQ!

A new version of Christianity where the high IQ's only make the grade? Sounds pretty progressive.

#122 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 11,202 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:47 AM

haha i apologize if i was offensive. if it helps, i do not reject christianity outright - only a literal interpretation of most of its claims and the structural religion built atop it. my criticism comes not from a wholesale rejection of the religion but an attempt to drag it - kicking and screaming, as has always been the case - into modernity. i cannot help but think the "take it or leave it" mentality has only widened the gulf between believers and non-believers, making either position increasingly unpalatable to whichever side of the spectrum one falls on.

No offense taken at all.
I disagree about religion reluctantly modernizing itself. The only people who worry about that sort of thing are those who use the religion for money (teleevangelists, etc)
Considering Jesus' reaction to that very issue, why would I care about either them or the impression they give?

#123 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 11,202 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

A new version of Christianity where the high IQ's only make the grade? Sounds pretty progressive.

ideas like his are exactly the reason Christians need to stop trying to fuse government and religion. they are incompatible and one or both will be corrupted as a result

#124 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 22,002 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

If you say I'm somewhere between mr scot and madhatter doesn't that go against your tenet of the golden fallacy or whatev?

I was not trolling with bron. He was playing along with the intellectual one upsmanship and I obliged.

I don't have hours upon hours to create wall of texts to appease
anyone with my views or lack there of. I enjoy the banter on a host of subjects and dont mind if someone disagrees with me.

Mav is a super smart kid who also is as level headed and open minded as anyone here. He is at least willing to hear the other side of before saying more.

The study is one of many and it doesn't say anything ground breaking.

Now I must go and watch the Kardashians.

#125 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 22,002 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:48 AM

ideas like his are exactly the reason Christians need to stop trying to fuse government and religion. they are incompatible and one or both will be corrupted as a result

Totally agree. I could google but there is a passage about not getting involved in civilian affairs ie politics.
Sure stand up for your rights on things but keep at arms length.

#126 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,506 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

Romans

#127 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 22,002 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

Romans

im referring to 2 tim

#128 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:06 PM

If you say I'm somewhere between mr scot and madhatter doesn't that go against your tenet of the golden fallacy or whatev?

not unless i've argued that the scope of intellectuality ranges between the "extremes" of mr scot and madhatter, and that the truth is in the middle (i haven't)

here, maybe this time you can get someone to read it to you: http://en.wikipedia....t_to_moderation

I don't have hours upon hours to create wall of texts to appease
anyone with my views or lack there of. I enjoy the banter on a host of subjects and dont mind if someone disagrees with me.

you don't need "hours upon hours"

you can actually make a convincing argument in less than 5 minutes if you're posting about something that you actually understand. conversely, if you don't actually understand whatever it is that you seem to have such strong opinions about, you can make yourself look like a complete moron. you should try to be more like the former and less like the latter. i promise it won't take "hours upon hours" to not look like a mouth-breathing dipshit

#129 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 22,002 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:10 PM

i do hope that being a douche becomes an Olympic sport. you are the United States best hope.

#130 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 11,202 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:45 PM

No way. its impossible to out-asshole an Australian.

#131 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:24 AM

No offense taken at all.
I disagree about religion reluctantly modernizing itself. The only people who worry about that sort of thing are those who use the religion for money (teleevangelists, etc)
Considering Jesus' reaction to that very issue, why would I care about either them or the impression they give?

I agree with you. If its true and right why does/should it need to change, especially just for the sake of being more appealing and acceptable to people.

#132 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,506 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

I agree with you. If its true and right why does/should it need to change, especially just for the sake of being more appealing and acceptable to people.

Most people find the concepts of forgiveness cool, same with the concept of mercy.

But the repentance thing is where people answer, "say what?". I agree with not changing a message which was intended to transform, not be transformed.

#133 88 Bronco

88 Bronco

• HUDDLER
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

First off, let me just say:  I feel extremely privileged to be posting in the same forum as so many intellectuals!  :)

Unfortunately for the high IQ types, marketing religion as the only path to "eternal salvation" was inevitably going to attract all sorts of riff raff to the fold.  People are only required to "believe" and they are in!  That pretty much explains the "less intelligent" finding in the OP's study.

Sadly, for every intellectual type, there are millions more faithful praying to a soggy corn flake that looks like Jesus.  

Frankly, these hayseeds are just dragging down the flock's average and publicly embarrassing the big brained bunch in the Tinder Box.  If you think that is bad, can you imagine having to share eternity with all these knuckleheads? Talk about a living h-e-l-l-o!

Well the good news is, there is still time to correct this grave error! 

The TB Brainiacs should organize an emergency prayer-a-thon imploring the "Big Guy In The Sky" to raise his standards of admittance!  God could then engrave the new rules on a stone tablet or even better yet, post them on Facebook.

It would be the Modern Miracle everyone(even atheists)have been praying for!!!!!  

Proof of God's existence and a significant improvement in his flock's IQ! 

Why not just pawn them off on the Buddhists?

#134 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

http://www.washingto...er-and-humbler/

What should we make of a recent study that, like earlier ones, says atheists are more intelligent than religious believers? This latest is really a study of 63 individual studies, in which 53 showed less religiosity among the more intelligent participants. Hmmm. Most atheists, myself included, have a skeptical nature and want to delve deeper into such studies—even when they put us in a favorable light.

For instance, how was intelligence defined and measured? Intelligence was defined in this study as the capacity for analytical thought, problem solving, and the understanding of complex ideas. The studies, which included a life-long analysis of the beliefs of 1,500 gifted children with IQs over 135, showed fewer religious believers among the gifted than in the overall population. Additional studies corroborated that religiosity tends to decrease with increased educational level. For example, only 7 percent of the members in the National Academy of Sciences believe in a personal god.

You could argue that the studies might be flawed for a variety of reasons, which include ignoring emotional intelligence and other worthwhile qualities that can contribute to a high quality of life. However, religion aside, I think most people believe that scientists (and even mathematicians) are smart. The cliché, “You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to figure it out,” means you can do it even if you’re not that smart.

But I’d rather let others discuss the relationship between religiosity and intelligence.

I’m more interested in perceived character flaws of atheists, perhaps related to intelligence. Some atheists come across as arrogant and smug when they gratuitously criticize and even mock religious beliefs, occasionally quoting ludicrous biblical passages to those who don’t interpret the Bible literally. Yet I can make a case for ardent atheists being more humble and open to change than religious fundamentalists, illustrated by the T-shirt phrase: “Will Convert for Evidence.” Richard Dawkins, the world’s most famous atheist, supported a bus ad campaign with the relatively humble slogan, “There’s probably no God.” I’ve yet to see a comparable religious ad that says “There’s probably a God.”

Which of the following sounds more arrogant?

Worldview 1. I know God created the entire universe just for the benefit of humans. He watches me constantly and cares about everything I say and do. I know how He wants me and everyone else to behave and believe. He is perfect and just, which is why we face an eternity of either bliss or torture, depending on whether or not we believe in Him.

Worldview 2. We’re the product of millions of years of evolution. Most species are extinct, as humans will eventually be. I hope to make a positive difference because it’s the right thing to do, not because of future rewards or punishments in an afterlife. When I don’t know something, which is often, I say, “I don’t know.”

As to humility, who’s the most humble person ever? Moses. How do I know? The Bible tells me so. In fact, Moses himself in Numbers 12:3 informs us he is. Some skeptics will question whether bragging about humility is an oxymoron, but here’s a justification for Moses’ claim, beginning with a joke.

A scientist is called to testify as an expert witness. The judge asks him about his credentials, and the scientist says, “I’m the most brilliant, respected, and articulate scientist in the world.” When a friend later asks why he was so boastful, the scientist replies, “After all, I was under oath.” Since Moses was under God’s oath, he was required to tell the biblical truth about his humility. In fact (actually fiction), the Five Books of Moses were supposedly dictated by God to Moses, so Moses had no choice about how to write it all down, including his humility and even a description of his own death.

There’s no credible evidence that Moses existed, let alone a God with whom he conversed. But some preachers and religious leaders also claim a direct link to God, which give them the authority to always “know” the absolute Truth with a capital “T,” as they confidently decree everything that God expects of us. Yes, we might all occasionally need an arrogance check, but such preachers are far from Snow White. Perhaps they should be asking “Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who’s the most arrogant one of all?”

Herb Silverman is founder and President Emeritus of the Secular Coalition for America, author of “Candidate Without a Prayer: An Autobiography of a Jewish Atheist in the Bible Belt,” and Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Mathematics at the College of Charleston.

#135 Guest_Spider Monkey_*

Guest_Spider Monkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

So they're saying Obama is stupid?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com