Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Our OL reviewed

65 posts in this topic

Posted

Where are the upgrades? I said in my post they will be there when cuts start....

It doesn't take much to improve out G and RT play. You don't have to sign a pro bowler to get a noticeable upgrade.

Wharton isn't that good anymore.....sadly, he likely is an instant upgrade for the season.

Gettlemen is a scout by trade....that doesn't mean he is going to do whatever it takes to win in what is essentially a playoff or rebuild year.....for Marty Hurney's coach.

Also, Gettlemen has some absurd he is new thus awesome hype. At this stage he is largely an unknown...brought in, told he would do x this year and made some painfully obvious calls. I hope he turns out to be legit. Him not signing OL talent doesn't mean there aren't instant upgrades....his job is more complex than that.

Again where are these upgrades at final cuts.  Guys like Kirwin and Ryan say they aren't going to be instant starters which is what we need to be better than what we have.

Posted

Gotta look bigger....gotta look that we have Newton, good RBs, etc. OL can hold the entire O back and limit whatever does....

Hoping several question marks pan out on your OL....so it actually functions is beyond risky. Not to mention the risk they put all your key players in. If there is one spot you can justify overspending and going beyond the call of duty it is the OL IMO

Gettleman already told you that he was making moves not just for this year but the next few years.  We need to win more games but in a smart controlled fashion.  You got look bigger which means for the future as well as the present.

Posted

But everybody said we are going to win 12 games.

2 people like this

Posted

But everybody said we are going to win 12 games.

8-8 is very realistic. To get to 10-6 which doesn't automatically mean playoffs, we will have to beat a Super Bowl contender or two.

Posted

we'll be getting hogmollies for the O in the draft.  We need to win as much as we can this year,

groom our talented young stars, and keep improving in the offseason as well.

Our coaching has to improve...we've got to win a lot more of those games decided by a touchdown

or less.

Getty can't fix everything in a year.  It sure looks like he's made major improvements already.

And even though we have to face Brees and Matt 4 times a year, I'd still rather improve the OL

before focusing on the secondary.

Remember we have a new OC.....give it some time.

Posted

This is what happens when you have no money to sign FA's and only have 5 draft picks.

You simply cannot plug ever hole on the roster.

Gettleman has done the best you can possibly do under the circumstances.

Posted

The sky is blue

I think you mean the sky WAS blue. It apparently fell on Thursday night.

We are doomed.

Posted

Can you rollover cap space that is leftover from one year to the next? If so, it's possible that Gettleman is looking at the number of zeros that will be attached to the contracts of Cam, Kraken, etc. and knows he'll need every dollar, so they are considering our O-line serviceable for the time being. Plus, if LaFell or Gettis have great years they will need to be paid too. I know they don't have the resumes to command a ton, but certainly if they both have solid years there will be interest in them and their prices will go up. Next year is Smitty's last under contract, and he'll probably go the year-to-year or maybe two year contract route. If he is still having 1,000 yard seasons, he'll get paid at least a little somethin. We have quite a bit of guys coming up under contract, so Gettleman may be looking longer term. Plus, I'm sure he's talking with RR daily and Rivera must have at least some input into saying yes I think what we have at O-line right now can work. No one wants to win more than Rivera, because he's the first one gone if the hole thing gets blown up. So I'm sure he'd say Dave, what we have simply cannot pass for an O-line at all.

Posted

Basically if you look at everything except winning. Two undrafteds holding up the right side of the line. Center coming off of a injury D2 lg and an aging left tackle. Gettlemagic. But it's cool because we have two new DT, bandaid wrs, bandaid secondary, rookie rb with ball security issues, and another d2 guard that can't get on the field. I keep saying it Gettleman built this roster so he can give Ron a chance but at the same time completely rebuild it if it doesn't work.

It is easy to shoot holes in everything and complain.  It is much harder to fix the problem.  Gettleman has done a great job changing the cap almost 30 million dollars and still kept most of our talent.  You know that if he can find someone who could be an instant upgrade and fit it into the larger plan he would.  After all he is all about big bodies.  Maybe he knows that Kugbila is coming back soon maybe he has his eyes on some diamonds in the rough.  Maybe he thinks we are not as bad as you and others do.  But I do know he will do everything he can.  I just don't think it is as easy to do as others suggest.  There won't be plenty of guys who are an instant upgrade. 

Posted

CRA, just stop. You're overracting... like usual.

Any competent football fan knows that talent and coaching is only half the battle. The other half is chemistry and experience.

Posted

This is not a Debbie Downer post, but...

I think OL play is 1 reason we will not be much above .500 this season; not opening up lanes, pressure getting into the backfield, etc.  If Cam's play remains as it has been so far in preseason, we won't even make it there.

I still don't think Rivera has what it takes to be a HC.

Posted

Alright, we've had an immense amount of holes on this team since 2010 (except at RB).  Many of them have been systematically addressed through the draft.  We are currently set up to have an extremely young, physical and fast defense loaded with talent on the front end.

There might have not been a realistic way to address Oline this year.  Many of the top prospect linemen went extremely high in the draft (2 guards in the top 15, along with 3-4 tackles) and the big name FAs had heavy price tags (Levitre and Long were both overpayed).  If we are lucky, we'll pick up a few scraps after preseason to fill in as depth, but if we don't at least we can pretty much spend the next entire offseason building this line.