Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post-cut Guards, who will we pick up?

40 posts in this topic

Posted

I guess we'll have to see who gets cut. 

I still think we'll bring in Wharton, especially now that TC is over and the season is approaching.

Wise vet move to wait until TC and most of the preseason games are over before coming in, LOL. 

Posted

The most likely pull for Gettleman, and not nearly as favorable as getting a player from the Detroit roster would be pulling a young cut from the Giants roster.

They have Boothe and Snee in starter roles at guard and multiple young quality backups along the line including S Caspers (3rd year) , M Jasper (2nd year), Stephen Goodin (2nd year), Chris Degeare (3rd year), etc.

7th round draft pick Eric Herman could likely be hidden away on their practice squad.

http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/5/2/4282956/2013-nfl-draft-eric-herman-new-yrok-giants-ohio-university

I thought this after Zod mentioned it...but why would the Giants cut young cheap guys if they have older guys with injury concerns?

Posted

I thought this after Zod mentioned it...but why would the Giants cut young cheap guys if they have older guys with injury concerns?

Well, in the case that the veteran Snee gets the ax coming back from hip surgery, I would suggest jumping all over a starting quality veteran!

We could only be so lucky 

Posted

Some vet named wang got cut today for the eagles. Also another vet named wegide for some other team that was supposed to be a bit of a surprise.

Geoff Schwartz I'm hearing hasnt been starting at the moment. At this point I wouldn't mind trading seventh rounder for him.

Posted

Yeah, but they will keep their good young guys as they need backups as well.. Isn't the idea for us to get a veteran since we have young developing guys already?

Posted

You're right, bad example.

But the point and intent of your comment was still SPOT ON.

Posted

Reading this thread is also a lesson in the stupidity of over analyzing a preseason game. Jut look at everyone complaining about how our DEs suck. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Reading this thread is also a lesson in the stupidity of over analyzing a preseason game. Jut look at everyone complaining about how our DEs suck. 

I think some of that stems from a simple misunderstanding of the D-line.  

The best DE's in the world are going to look rather mediocre if they are not paired with good DTs.  There are a variety of reasons for this.  The most obvious being blocking assignments.  If the lineman are able to block the DTs without using a double team, this increases the emphasis on blocking the DEs (especially bull-rushing DEs)  Also, if the QB has a well developed pocket to sit in due to lack of interior push, it can appear that the DEs are just not applying any pressure at all. 

*This is just another reason to be really excited about our defense this season!!!

1 person likes this

Posted

There are also whisperings around the NFL that Seahawks CB Antione Winfield may be cut.........

Posted

There is a really interesting position battle for RG in Detroit right now.

They have three solid NFL veterans: Dylan Gandy, Jake Scott and Leroy Harris, they couldn't pass up the opportunity to draft Larry Warford when he fell to them in the 3rd.  With the LG position solidified with Rob Sims and second year man Rodney Austin, it is likely that one of the three veterans competing for the RG spot will be released.

This is aided by the fact that the Lions really like UDFA Darren Keyton who can also play back-up Center.

It is possible, if Warford wins the starting role (which I assume the Lions are pushing for) 2 of the 3 veteran guards could be released.

Look for Dylan Gandy, Jake Scott, Rodney Austin, Rob Sims or Leroy Harris  to hit the market after final cuts are made.  That is just too many highly paid players for one position.

In other words, ignore everything P55 says.

Posted

dolphins also have a poo o-line, expect them to be trying to pick someone up

Posted

There are also whisperings around the NFL that Seahawks CB Antione Winfield may be cut.........

is he better than Florence at this point? I honestly do not know, I'm not being sarcastic. 5 years ago I would have been all over him. 

Also Seahawks have by far the best secondary in football so that isn't too surprising.