Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to do with Ben Gordon?

What would you do?   37 votes

1. 1. What would you do?

• Let his contract expire at end of the season (improve cap situation next year)
    • Trade him ASAP for assets/player/draft picks (his stock won't improve)
    • wait til Trade Deadline (improve his stock) and move for assets/player/draft picks
    • tell him to dribble the ball while Clifford/Ewing are talking (fun ensues)
    • Pie

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

29 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I really believe waiting untill trade deadline and move for assets and or picks would be the smart option, but I just couldn't pass up voting for having him dribble will Clifford/Ewing are talking.

Posted · Report post

not sure some of you guys understand the value of an expiring contract.  If a cash strapped team is going to lose a player to FA because they can't afford to resign him, they'll take Gordan and give us what we want...most likely draft picks.

It has to be the right deal, but I'd hate to see Gordan gone for nothing.  Because he is gone anyway.  He'll never play for us again.  

But if we don't get the right deal, no biggie...we'll still enjoy the cap space.

This is completely wrong.  Not even close to right.

If a cash strapped team is going to lose a player in free agency, then that player is himself on an expiring contract.  For instance, if the Bulls couldn't afford to re-sign Luol Deng after this year then his contract will expire after the season.  Why on earth would they trade him for Ben Gordon and give us assets...both contracts are expiring?  They would be giving us free assets... and a better player.  I'll just let logic prevail on this one.

Expiring contracts are valuable, as teeray mentioned, when a team wants to get rid of a bad contract with multi-years left on it.  Instead of paying a guy $13mil a year for the next 2 to 3 years = $39mil.  They trade the player for an expiring deal and only have to pay for the one expiring year and then open up team cap space in the off-season to allow them to be flexible in free agency.

Another different example is if a playoff team feels that they are in need of a shooter or off the bench scorer and truely believe that it will improve their chances of advancing in the playoffs.  They would then trade future picks, young potential players that are not yet producing, or cash... for Ben Gordon and hope that he can impact them in their playoff run.

As I said before, Ben Gordon's contract right now is more valuable to the Bobcats then it is to anyone else.  That could easily change during the  season once teams see where their holes are or injuries start to happen... 

Posted · Report post

there are multiple options.

A team that needs cash to keep an important player could trade an asset with multiple years on their contract to get rid of that cost for Gordon.

It probably won't happen, but it could.  Say a guy has 3 years at 5 mill per year...if we wanted him, it's a win win situation for a trade.

The draft pick scenario is less likely but certainly possible.

How about we see what we can get before sentencing ourselves to letting him go for nothing?

Posted · Report post

You act as if letting him go for nothing is a bad thing...

That frees up $13 million for us to SPEND ON TALENT next year.

As of right now, this is our best option.  Things may change in the future.  But letting him walk gives us more money instead of tying it up on other big contracts.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

As of right now, this is our best option. Things may change in the future. But letting him walk gives us more money instead of tying it up on other big contracts.

This.

Posted · Report post

As of right now, this is our best option. Things may change in the future. But letting him walk gives us more money instead of tying it up on other big contracts.

Easily what the plan is.

There is just a disconnect on some fans understanding the cap and what has to happen in trades in the NBA.

Money for free agency would be ideal...Grainger would be a great fit. Cannot see P George leaving. However if we see any evolutionary leaps from Hendo or Kemba it frees up some resigning money.

It is the most beneficial scenario for the Hornets.

Posted · Report post

If we traded him to a cap strapped team we would have to receive back at minimum 9,250,000 in salary, most likely in multi year contracts.

Doesn't make much sense unless we get a high caliber player at a position of need.

Posted · Report post

Easily what the plan is.

There is just a disconnect on some fans understanding the cap and what has to happen in trades in the NBA.

Money for free agency would be ideal...Grainger would be a great fit. Cannot see P George leaving. However if we see any evolutionary leaps from Hendo or Kemba it frees up some resigning money.

It is the most beneficial scenario for the Hornets.

I agree.

We clearly need to save money for Kemba if he somehow make the huge leap next year. If not, we'll probably get him on the cheap.

But, that money will serve us well in next year FA. Especially, for a guy that you mentioned Danny Granger or possibly Luol Deng.

Posted · Report post

We already have Luol Deng..remember :)

Posted · Report post

If gordon gets traded you have to take back a questionable contract. 

Not a lot of guys out there that fit this team, though I could maybe see a trade for Eric Gordon

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Expiring cap is only useful if you can sign a player that fills that void that actually wants to take our money and not play for one of the ten franchises in the league that actually have a realistic chance of beating the Heat in a 7 game series. I hate to sound like a downer, but until we can court a proven winner we might as well forget that free agency exists unless we're trying to aim for mediocre. You don't build a franchise through free agency. You have to have the pieces to move into position when the time is right. That's why I feel like the Jefferson signing was an abandonment of our plan and as exciting as it will be to watch him, I hope it doesn't put us in no-man's land between too bad to make it past the first round of the playoffs and too good to be in contention for any game changers at the top of the draft.... basically where we were when we had Larry Brown at the helm.

Posted · Report post

And I understand that the Heat kind of sort of built through free agency, but anything short of collusion by the players (which is basically what happened there) it isn't going to happen again. There is only one Lebron James in this game and where he goes becomes a contender defacto.