#1 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,927 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:35 PM

http://www.salon.com...hool_nightmare/

Here's one area where the new Republican NC government apparently has not been trying hard enough to destroy as efficiently as its friends up north but hey it's still early.

#2 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,346 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:51 PM

In other news, eskimos kill several baby seals. NC republicans implicated in the incident

#3 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,469 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:06 AM

Honestly, could one of the posters here that supports the demolishing of the public school systems in place of voucher etc systems explain the logic to me?  I am seriously curious.

#4 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:17 AM

This is part of a well organized, concerted effort by ALEC and the GOP to destroy the general public's confidence in the public school system and then hand off the 500 billion dollar industry of education to their for profit crony friends.

#5 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,927 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

And to do it they get the backing of the Christian Right, see the thread on the voucher oops on how that part is accomplished.

#6 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,733 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:16 PM

Honestly, could one of the posters here that supports the demolishing of the public school systems in place of voucher etc systems explain the logic to me?  I am seriously curious.

I voted for McCrory...  I thought he could go to Raleigh and turn around some of the boneheaded stuff that's been done in NC gov't.  Boy was I wrong.

The school system has always been a disaster... McCrory's plan is obviously just to destroy them and see what happens.  Dumbest thing I've ever seen.

#7 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,158 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:22 PM

My son is in the "best" charter school in Charlotte. At least that's how it's been ranked lately. We haven't been very impressed and are giving it one more year.They have a small percentage of students that are economically disadvantaged, small percentage of minorities and a small percentage of disabled students however they barely test on par with the state. Facilities are crap and the few computers they have are constantly in use for testing. And their turnover is high and often replaced with fresh out of college teachers.

But the charter corporation is making good profits. 

#8 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:21 PM

And to do it they get the backing of the Christian Right, see the thread on the voucher oops on how that part is accomplished.

It is hard to believe in 2013 that so many Americans are still extremely superstitious.  On the ups side, it sure makes it easy for unscrupulous pandering politicians to control their constituents' voting behavior.

In fairness, four different polls — taken at different times and using different sampling methodologies — are linked here, making the comparisons imperfect.  But it’s fascinating that superstitious beliefs are outperforming hard science — either despite or because of twelve years of required indoctrination of the latter.  I’m not sure what to make of it.

Percentage of Americans who believe in angels: 55

Percentage of Americans who believe in evolution: 39

Percentage of Americans who believe in anthropogenic global warming: 36

Percentage of Americans who believe in ghosts: 34

Percentage of Americans who believe in UFOs: 34

More Americans believe in angels than evolution?  Talk about a political paradise for shysters. This effort by the right to defund public education in favor of superstition based, for-profit education, with monies that would otherwise teach things like science and reasoning, could set our society back generations.

Half of all Americans believe they are protected by guardian angels, one-fifth say they’ve heard God speak to them, one-quarter say they have witnessed miraculous healings, 16 percent say they’ve received one and 8 percent say they pray in tongues, according to a survey released Thursday by Baylor University.

Read more: http://www.washingto.../#ixzz2cXBiOdZ2
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

#9 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,469 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:33 PM

My son is in the "best" charter school in Charlotte. At least that's how it's been ranked lately. We haven't been very impressed and are giving it one more year.They have a small percentage of students that are economically disadvantaged, small percentage of minorities and a small percentage of disabled students however they barely test on par with the state. Facilities are crap and the few computers they have are constantly in use for testing. And their turnover is high and often replaced with fresh out of college teachers.

But the charter corporation is making good profits. 

I have heard this story over and over.  I have heard it from parents across the country whose children attend charter schools.

I don't think public education is perfect, but I fear that bringing a goal of profit making into it is going to... not be a good idea.

#10 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,733 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:46 PM

I have heard this story over and over.  I have heard it from parents across the country whose children attend charter schools.

I don't think public education is perfect, but I fear that bringing a goal of profit making into it is going to... not be a good idea.

I think that the general belief is that a private company surely can run things better than the gov't, and on the surface, that's probably the case...

But when you start putting profit margins ahead of the actual education, which we all know happens, it's doesn't really compute.

Public education is never going to be perfect, but it can work...  firing eleventy billion TA's, cutting teacher benefits and making every education student in the country say "pffftttt, I'm not teaching in NC" isn't the way to fix it.

#11 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,053 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

privatize with no regulations, that's what i say!

#12 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,653 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

My kids go to a charter school and have flourished and if they went to public I think they would be bored and maybe digress.

If anything this has made many finally look at how bad public schools really are. Competition is good and if it can force public schools hand to change for the better then great.

Where has all this out rage been over public schools been the last 10 years? Where were the protests?

I will say it again. If a child gets a voucher and doesn't do better then it removes the notion more money for teachers will improve a childs test scores.
The common denominator is still the parents/guardian and the child no matter where they go or how much a teacher makes or how new the school is.

Expect more parental involvement and teacher parent relationships and scores go up.

#13 bigjohn

bigjohn

Block and Tackle

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

My kids go to a charter school and have flourished and if they went to public I think they would be bored and maybe digress.

If anything this has made many finally look at how bad public schools really are. Competition is good and if it can force public schools hand to change for the better then great.

Where has all this out rage been over public schools been the last 10 years? Where were the protests?

I will say it again. If a child gets a voucher and doesn't do better then it removes the notion more money for teachers will improve a childs test scores.
The common denominator is still the parents/guardian and the child no matter where they go or how much a teacher makes or how new the school is.

Expect more parental involvement and teacher parent relationships and scores go up.

You can't paint all public schools with the same brush.

I teach at what is right now an average public high school. Ten years ago, we were top ten in the state (back when they had the ABC scores that ranked the high schools).  The biggest differences I see are

1) Our staff was top notch back then-- I think today we are above average but not top notch.

2) We don't have the level of positive parent involvement we had then

3) We had money to for "extras" (pay teachers for after school tutorials and run extra bus routes for students staying for tutorials

Most of the private and charter schools that boast high test scores fall into one of two categories:

1) Have placement tests (smarter kids get in--wow they do better!)

2) High tuition cost (parents that pay for students to attend are more involved)

3) Open to all students in a geographic location, but have to provide their own transportation (cutting out the poorer kids, who generally score lower)

I have students that have flourished in our public school-- attending all sorts of prestigious universities and receiving scholarships.

Public schools aren't perfect obviously and I agree 100% that they can be improved. I just can't wrap my head around the idea that cutting teacher pay and support staff (assistants) is the way to improve it.

#14 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,653 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

cutting pay and charter schools being a viable alternative to public schools are two entirely separate issues.

i still don't think the goal to cut funding is some mastermind plot to blow up public schools for the schools that are for profit.

there just hasn't been the funds for many things the last few years and now the state doesn't have the funds. just raising taxes isn't enough.

and of course i'm not painting ALL public schools as being bad. just like anything. there are good schools and bad.

but competition HAS to be there or you get a bad product.

#15 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,927 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:00 PM

If you don't think that theres a master plan with all this than you have not been paying attention to ALEC and for example, Bobby Jindal.

http://www.policymic...-s-own-standard

http://dianeravitch....out-of-program/

http://www.wafb.com/...voucher-program - Hey lets steal money from somewhere else to keep up this charade!

http://www.nytimes.c...ional.html?_r=0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.