Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Interesting tidbit on Beason's restructure...FA at end of the Season?

NFL

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#106 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,936 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:19 AM

Actually that was mentioned here several months ago. I'd have to do some digging but Stewart was named our starter.

what? I have serious doubts he plays much if at all this season. I hope I am wrong.

#107 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,969 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:54 AM

This is a smart move. I love me some Beason but guys are never the same after that micro fracture surgery.

#108 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,241 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:27 AM

Bingo, so this absurd theory needs to be put to rest. Barner getting reps is meaningless in reality. He was drafted to be our Scatback. Barner isn't going to replace Stewart or Williams.

Barner was drafted to hopefully be a RB....bc we need to get away from Double Trouble. That starts next year.

Barner getting reps isn't meaningless. If he turns out to be what DG drafted....he becomes a legit part of the RB committee next season and DG starts axing Double Trouble

#109 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,623 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:14 AM

what? I have serious doubts he plays much if at all this season. I hope I am wrong.

He'll be fine. I see him playing 14 games this season. I think The Panthers will let Stewart rest until Week 3.

#110 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,623 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

Barner was drafted to hopefully be a RB....bc we need to get away from Double Trouble. That starts next year.

Barner getting reps isn't meaningless. If he turns out to be what DG drafted....he becomes a legit part of the RB committee next season and DG starts axing Double Trouble

He's been labeled our scatback by Rivera himself. Don't count on it. There's a reason why Barner made it all the way to the sixth round. I'd let go of those lofty expectations right now.

#111 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,241 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

He's been labeled our scatback by Rivera himself. Don't count on it. There's a reason why Barner made it all the way to the sixth round. I'd let go of those lofty expectations right now.

I have made no lofty statements....only after a NFL season Barner likely will be ready to be part of a RB committee. One ball...too many runners. Old, injured or expensive guys are going to be leaving soon....

we are going to be moving away from Double Trouble most likely starting next year. You need to start working through that....we are going to move away from them for a variety of reasons.

#112 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,623 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

I have made no lofty statements....only after a NFL season Barner likely will be ready to be part of a RB committee. One ball...too many runners. Old, injured or expensive guys are going to be leaving soon....

we are going to be moving away from Double Trouble most likely starting next year. You need to start working through that....we are going to move away from them for a variety of reasons

Sorry, but you have no evidence of that. Uttering assumptions and wishing it would happen doesn't equal reality. I suggest you stop predicting because you're not very good at it.

#113 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,241 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:00 AM

Sorry, but you have no evidence of that. Uttering assumptions and wishing it would happen doesn't equal reality. I suggest you stop predicting because you're not very good at it.

yeah, there is....

Look around the NFL and also look at why Hurney was fired.

Double Trouble isn't the future.  We have both of them today b/c we got handcuffed to them.  

if Stewart limps through this year and Williams looks like he did last year.....it is an easy call.

#114 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,623 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:07 AM

yeah, there is....

Look around the NFL and also look at why Hurney was fired.

Double Trouble isn't the future. We have both of them today b/c we got handcuffed to them.

Ummm, no. We could've released D-Will this off-season and likely saved a good chunk of cash. Does that sound like we were handcuffed? Nope.

#115 SooSlow84

SooSlow84

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationYour mother's basement

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

I've been studying the cap for some time. We may keep deangelo Williams in 2014, but we could save a bit as a June 1 cut. We absolutely will keep j stew in 2014, (cap reasons) but one of them will be gone in 2015. The cap hits are way too much for running backs that year and they're getting old and now have an injury history. We have too much talent with Tolbert, Poole, barner and even smith to be paying two older running backs that kind of money.

#116 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,623 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

I've been studying the cap for some time. We may keep deangelo Williams in 2014, but we could save a bit as a June 1 cut. We absolutely will keep j stew in 2014, (cap reasons) but one of them will be gone in 2015. The cap hits are way too much for running backs that year and they're getting old and now have an injury history. We have too much talent with Tolbert, Poole, barner and even smith to be paying two older running backs that kind of money.

This is where I concede. In fact, both J-Stew and D-Will could be released in 2015 (depending if one or both take paycuts, or if D-Will is already released in 2014). That said, Tolbert could be gone by 2015 too.

#117 SooSlow84

SooSlow84

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationYour mother's basement

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

This is where I concede. In fact, both J-Stew and D-Will could be released in 2015 (depending if one or both take paycuts, or if D-Will is already released in 2014). That said, Tolbert could be gone by 2015 too.

I really think we need to make Tolbert happy. He's underrated and could have been utilized better the last season. One of the best fullbacks in the league IMO.

#118 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,623 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

I really think we need to make Tolbert happy. He's underrated and could have been utilized better the last season. One of the best fullbacks in the league IMO.

I agree. Tolbert didn't get enough love and props from the fans last year but he was a beastly bowling ball when he was employed. Mike also came to our rescue when the injuries started to pile up. He's not the fastest guy in our backfield but he is just as versatile as D-Will and J-Stew.

#119 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,033 posts
  • Location704

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

Saw this last night, too. 

Certainly looks like this is Beason's last season here. I'd be SHOCKED if they offer him another huge contract extension after what just happened with him after signing the last one. 

This could be good for us though because Beason is obviously going to be playing to the best of his abilities and could give us a monster season. We all know what he's capable of doing. He's playing for another big contract this year and contract seasons usually yield nice results. 

Going to have to defend Marty on this one though - giving a big contract to our best, most productive, and team captain was a no brainer at the time and I would have done the same. The contracts to DW, James Anderson, Delhomme are the one's that fuged us. 

#120 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,241 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:12 PM

Saw this last night, too. 

Certainly looks like this is Beason's last season here. I'd be SHOCKED if they offer him another huge contract extension after what just happened with him after signing the last one. 

This could be good for us though because Beason is obviously going to be playing to the best of his abilities and could give us a monster season. We all know what he's capable of doing. He's playing for another big contract this year and contract seasons usually yield nice results. 

Going to have to defend Marty on this one though - giving a big contract to our best, most productive, and team captain was a no brainer at the time and I would have done the same. The contracts to DW, James Anderson, Delhomme are the one's that fuged us. 

Beason's contract was still bad b/c of his health status when he got it....

and you can add Big Money, Godfrey, Mare, basically anyone who signed anything post 2010.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NFL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.