#16 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,638 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

Not speaking for him of course, but I think his point is not that the kids were black, but that the media goes out of their way to not mention race in a case like this, but it's the first thing that's mentioned when it is reversed.

imo it's all about what the news media can stir up and cause ratings with.

The race of these 3 kids has zero bearing on this. At least not to me... it doesn't sound like it was any kind of racially motivated incident or anything like that... just three dumbass punk kids who thought it would be cool to kill someone.

Tell me what you think the media would be saying if a gang of three white kids in Oklahoma (or NC or SC or anywhere) hunted down a black kid walking/running down the road minding his own business and shot him in the back, killing him ... just for fun.

I just came across this story today.

Didn't know about the race of the attackers until I saw the comments section littered with white people screaming about a double standard. If the most someone can take away from this is paranoia toward whites. Well...

This tragedy makes me sick to my stomach.

Unfortunately as can be observed online, the vicious cycle of intolerance from all of humanity will always continue.

#17 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,565 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:24 PM

Didn't know about the race of the attackers until I saw the comments section littered with white people screaming about a double standard. If the most someone can take away from this is paranoia toward whites. Well...

Unfortunately as can be observed online, the vicious cycle of intolerance from all of humanity will always continue.

But isn't that the point...

It is a horrible thing and the race of the attackers is completely irrelevant... until the media decides that they need to stir up some controversy...

The life of this promising young man is gone and the three lives of these stupid young boys are ruined as well.  All for what?

As for internet comments on news stories... well...  you know what you're getting there... half trolls and half the dregs of society.

#18 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,025 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

That "paranoia" isn't what I'm taking away from it ... it is a tragedy, pure and simple, as you say. It's how I felt as well, even before I knew the races of those involved and now regardless of those races.

My point is how the media plays it ... or doesn't play it ... and how you think they would play it if the races were reversed. My beef is with the media (and other high-profile people).

#19 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,093 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

Did race potentially play a role in the Trayvon Martin Killing?  Let's see.

The previous break-ins in the community were attributed to young black males.

Trayvon Martin met the profile.

The town in which the Martin killing took place in had a history of racism. 

The police were quick to release George Zimmerman, giving the appearance to some observers of racial bias.

Did race play a factor in this latest killing?  Perhaps.

If it did, I am sure we will hearing more about it.

#20 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 12,638 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

Back to the OP referencing Martin and Zimmerman. Talk to me when the deceased victim in this case is aggressively vilified and scrutinized by a large number of Americans for minding his own business in his neighborhood.

#21 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,058 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

They have black people in Oklahoma?  *confused*

#22 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:47 PM

Disgusting behavior by these thugs, these are the type of African-Americans I'm so fuging ashamed of, the ones that paint a bad image for all the rest of us. 

#23 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,691 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:47 PM

the alternative:

"black teenagers gun down college ballplayer"

do none of you see how that looks really douchey as a news report

#24 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,136 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

the alternative:

"black teenagers gun down college ballplayer"

do none of you see how that looks really douchey as a news report

Almost as bad as "white hispanic" while doctoring 911 tapes and pixelating police camera videos.

By the way...the two issues have nothing to do with one another, but bias through omission is still bias. 

#25 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,058 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:55 PM

I read they can't identify them because they are all 3 under 18. So maybe it's a legal thing not what's being suggested. 

#26 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,025 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

I read they can't identify them because they are all 3 under 18. So maybe it's a legal thing not what's being suggested. 

They've already been identified, and photos have been posted to news sites.

#27 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,093 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

The public reaction to George Zimmerman had much to do with the question of his credibility.

These three have no credibility issues, because they have already admitted to murdering someone due to boredom.

Their racial motivations may be an additional issue worth consider in sentencing, but there is little doubt these three will be spending decades behind bars.

#28 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

the lamestream lsm liebrul media hasn't told me the race of the accused so idk if they're thugs or crazed lone wolves

#29 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,691 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:05 PM

Almost as bad as "white hispanic" while doctoring 911 tapes and pixelating police camera videos.

By the way...the two issues have nothing to do with one another, but bias through omission is still bias. 

in this case whiteness is social and cultural, not racial; it ties into notions of white privilege and why zimmerman was allowed to leave the scene of the crime that night. also power structures and historical context are why a white authority figure murdering a black kid make bigger news. the lives lost are worth the same, but the added social evil of prejudice is what puts cases like Z vs. T over the top in news and media.

#30 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,058 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

They've already been identified, and photos have been posted to news sites.

I'm not seeing them on American sites.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.