#1 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,403 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

The unemployment rate in North Carolina inched higher in July, the first uptick in the closely watched economic indicator since January.

The state’s seasonally adjusted unemployment rate rose one-tenth of a percentage point to 8.9 percent last month, according to data released Monday by the state Department of Commerce’s Labor and Economic Analysis Division.

“It was a disappointing month,” said Mekael Teshome, a PNC Financial Services Group economist.

Although the jobless rate was seven-tenths of a percentage point lower than it was a year ago, North Carolina’s unemployment rate is tied with Rhode Island for the third-worst in the nation. Only Illinois, at 9.2 percent, and Nevada, where the unemployment rate is 9.5 percent, have higher unemployment rates.

The national unemployment rate for July was 7.4 percent, an improvement from June’s 7.6 percent.

Raleigh, N.C. – For the second month in a row, North Carolina Gov.Pat McCrory has a net-negative approval rating. And it’s the lowest it’s ever been: 39% of voters approve of the Republican’s job performance, while 51% disapprove.

The Republican-dominated General Assembly is doing even worse, with an approval rating of only 24%. Nearly half of voters have a higher opinion of the Moral Monday protestors than the N.C. legislature. Half of voters polled say the G.A. is causing North Carolina national embarrassment, including 21% of Republican voters.

http://www.publicpol...in/pat-mccrory/

#2 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,514 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

A old work friend told me some fun stuff.

NCDENR supervisions, at least some of them, got reclassified from "Hired" to "appointed" This allows regional management to be placed and not hired.

Also the Dept of Water Quality has been dismantled and rolled into "Water Resources" they are also laying off 15% of the staff and hiring MORE managers for the reduced staff.

The dumb just keeps on coming.

Third Party 2014!

#3 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,536 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:12 PM

Third Party 2014!

Kurb is on the path to the dark side. 

#4 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,968 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

More managers... clearly this is the way to get more work done.  Clearly.

#5 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,454 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

Doesn't a typical state job include 5 managers standing over 1 hourly paid guy doing the work?

If they keep hiring managers, who are they going to stand over and watch?

#6 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,870 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:33 PM

A old work friend told me some fun stuff.

NCDENR supervisions, at least some of them, got reclassified from "Hired" to "appointed" This allows regional management to be placed and not hired.

Also the Dept of Water Quality has been dismantled and rolled into "Water Resources" they are also laying off 15% of the staff and hiring MORE managers for the reduced staff.

The dumb just keeps on coming.

Third Party 2014!

does this mean less regulation for development? :)

I want to personally bulldoze goose creek because of the damned carolina heelsplitter. Just wipe it off the map, thanks.

#7 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,514 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

Doesn't a typical state job include 5 managers standing over 1 hourly paid guy doing the work?

If they keep hiring managers, who are they going to stand over and watch?

That's DOT. :D

Let me share a story with you that looking back should have opened my eyes sooner.

I was chatting with a "lifer" guy was deep in local and state politics and had been "re assigned" to a regional office after making roughly 6 figs in Raleigh.  He was griping about the demands of being a manager with state government. His complaint went something like this.

"So ya know, some county representative can just call me up and ask me how much $ we spent on Wetland Delineations, like ya know how many hours and how many we have a year.....HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT?!...I would need to get some admins to look all that data up, I can't know where all my departments hours are going all the time"

Now tell me, how many private businesses DON'T know where their man hours and $ goes?

does this mean less regulation for development? :)

I want to personally bulldoze goose creek because of the damned carolina heelsplitter. Just wipe it off the map, thanks.

Likely, the Bosses for NCDENR have all kinds of conflicts of interest right now. 

One is a "retired" developer, one was recently part of a big environmental remediation/planning firm, I suspect all kinds of "express" options for permitting and relaxing of rules will happen next year.

I'm also expecting another round of layoffs next June/July as well.

#8 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,399 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

is unemployment even a problem in NC?  i thought we should be focused on voting regulations.

#9 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:55 PM

I'm all for more regulations if it keeps Jase in check.  

#10 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,642 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

Generally speaking, associating the governor (any governor) for unemployment numbers is fairly silly. And when that governor has been in office a few months, its ludicrous.  My guess is that the unemployment numbers are staying high because textile jobs are still going away, while the booms in banking and IT that occurred in the 90's thru 07 have gone away..  And the housing industry which has recovered in some areas, is still lagging in NC, outside of Charlotte and Raleigh.

Public policy polling has been consistently off regarding republicans in North Carolina.  That being said, there is little doubt that Mccrory's ratings are dropping.  Doesn't really mean much, but its certainly true. 

#11 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,403 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

Generally speaking, associating the governor (any governor) for unemployment numbers is fairly silly. And when that governor has been in office a few months, its ludicrous.  My guess is that the unemployment numbers are staying high because textile jobs are still going away, while the booms in banking and IT that occurred in the 90's thru 07 have gone away..  And the housing industry which has recovered in some areas, is still lagging in NC, outside of Charlotte and Raleigh.

Public policy polling has been consistently off regarding republicans in North Carolina.  That being said, there is little doubt that Mccrory's ratings are dropping.  Doesn't really mean much, but its certainly true. 

I'm pretty sure NC has had a republican controlled legislature for almost three years now, and Pat Y PROMISED that NC would have a lower unemployment rate than SC by December. I can GUARANTEE you that he won't meet that promise. 

#12 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,199 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:20 PM

here is the real tragic thing. there are those, maybe even on this board although they don't have the guts to admit it but they are GLAD these #'s are the way they are. that's how partisan some people are.

this is the underbelly of stupid politics. you just can't make anybody happy.

#13 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:28 PM

Who knows how the unemployment works.

You hear all kinds of scenarios like, 500,000 quit looking for work and gave up, so the unemployment numbers actually look better. Always wierd for me, but would the reverse not also be true? People who were originally in the given up category, now move back into the work force, would that make the numbers worse even though the situation is not as dire?

Maybe NC does not count like the feds though

#14 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,105 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:54 PM

Ah nows the time for thoughtful reflection and not Obama I mean McCrory blaming

#15 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,199 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:56 PM

been awhile since i said this but umm, both sides do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com