Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jtnc

NC unemployment rate rises; Pat McCrory & Co approval rating plummets

37 posts in this topic

Generally speaking, associating the governor (any governor) for unemployment numbers is fairly silly. And when that governor has been in office a few months, its ludicrous.  My guess is that the unemployment numbers are staying high because textile jobs are still going away, while the booms in banking and IT that occurred in the 90's thru 07 have gone away..  And the housing industry which has recovered in some areas, is still lagging in NC, outside of Charlotte and Raleigh.

Public policy polling has been consistently off regarding republicans in North Carolina.  That being said, there is little doubt that Mccrory's ratings are dropping.  Doesn't really mean much, but its certainly true. 

I'm pretty sure NC has had a republican controlled legislature for almost three years now, and Pat Y PROMISED that NC would have a lower unemployment rate than SC by December. I can GUARANTEE you that he won't meet that promise. 

here is the real tragic thing. there are those, maybe even on this board although they don't have the guts to admit it but they are GLAD these #'s are the way they are. that's how partisan some people are.

this is the underbelly of stupid politics. you just can't make anybody happy.

3 people like this

Who knows how the unemployment works.

You hear all kinds of scenarios like, 500,000 quit looking for work and gave up, so the unemployment numbers actually look better. Always wierd for me, but would the reverse not also be true? People who were originally in the given up category, now move back into the work force, would that make the numbers worse even though the situation is not as dire?

Maybe NC does not count like the feds though

Ah nows the time for thoughtful reflection and not Obama I mean McCrory blaming

been awhile since i said this but umm, both sides do it.

I'm pretty sure NC has had a republican controlled legislature for almost three years now, and Pat Y PROMISED that NC would have a lower unemployment rate than SC by December. I can GUARANTEE you that he won't meet that promise. 

I am fairly certain that the Democrats controlled all of the government of NC in 2008, so based on that logic, they get the blame for all the problems that happened in NC during that time period. 

In fact, Democrats have controlled NC for 140 plus years, so they get all the blame for every bad thing that has happened in NC since 1876. 

:)

Pat is just waiting for people to get kicked off unemployment because of the changes they passed.  

1 person likes this

Maybe it's nothing, but I have noticed a distinct lack of job announcements since the MetLife deal in January. There were several major job announcements in 2012. I wonder if things just cooled off or if companies are taking a wait and see approach with NC now. There have been a lot of changes and A LOT of negative press around the social laws that have been pushed through or proposed.

Most companies that move are from the north or mid west, are not giant corporations, and are as interested in quality of life for their transferring employees almost as much as any tax or other cost savings. Your average northerner is looking at NC right now and wondering why on earth we want to throw away our less crazy ways of thinking about things in favor of whatever these crazy lawmakers have up their sleeves and appear to be on their way out already.

1 person likes this

Maybe it's nothing, but I have noticed a distinct lack of job announcements since the MetLife deal in January. There were several major job announcements in 2012. I wonder if things just cooled off or if companies are taking a wait and see approach with NC now. There have been a lot of changes and A LOT of negative press around the social laws that have been pushed through or proposed.

MetLife deal was meh, they are promoting current employees from their other branches and moving them down here, I don't think they plan to hire many locally that would have a huge effect.