40 replies to this topic

#16 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:27 PM

Ring of fame is one thing, statue is another and............ HOF is something completely different.

I will say this.......... no one and I mean no one, should ever wear 89 after Smitty hangs them up.

#17 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 7,866 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:29 PM

i will cry when smitty retires. a lot.

#18 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 3,985 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:29 PM

He gets a ring and he's in the hall with his current numbers. No ring he's going to have to add to it

#19 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,351 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:00 PM

In 2008, the Panthers had 414 pass attempts, but only 352 in the games Smith played. That means (since he had 1,421 receiving yards) he averaged an absurd 4.04 Yds/TPA! Consider that last year, Megatron had 1,964 receiving yards on 740 team pass attempts.

The fact is no other receiver has come close to the Triple Crown since Smitty. Not Larry, Megatron, Green, Julio, etc. Smith obliterated secondaries 2004-2009. It didn't matter if he was double or triple teamed, he owned defensive backs of all calibers in a run dominant system. 3,000 yards and 25 touchdowns more, and he'll get in. If not, who cares? His jersey will be retired and he'll have a statue dedicated in his memory. The legend of 89 continues...

#20 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,631 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

Smitty needs 3 more years of over 1000 yards and another 25-30 TDs to be in the hunt for the hall of fame.  There are a bunch of receivers with more yards and Tds than he has now who are still not in the hall.

I think that and a Superbowl win is a lock

#21 pantherdad

pantherdad

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

In 2008, the Panthers had 414 pass attempts, but only 352 in the games Smith played. That means (since he had 1,421 receiving yards) he averaged an absurd 4.04 Yds/TPA! Consider that last year, Megatron had 1,964 receiving yards on 740 team pass attempts.

The fact is no other receiver has come close to the Triple Crown since Smitty. Not Larry, Megatron, Green, Julio, etc. Smith obliterated secondaries 2004-2009. It didn't matter if he was double or triple teamed, he owned defensive backs of all calibers in a run dominant system. 3,000 yards and 25 touchdowns more, and he'll get in. If not, who cares? His jersey will be retired and he'll have a statue dedicated in his memory. The legend of 89 continues...

hopefully not in his memory!! How about in his honor.....

#22 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,351 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:08 PM

hopefully not in his memory!! How about in his honor.....

Fair enough.

The day he retires, I'll shed a tear.

#23 NCstoner420

NCstoner420

Dave's not here man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

He led the league in receptions while playing for a team that had more rush attempts than pass attempts. You have to go back to 1984 to find another player who accomplished this. 

#24 Montie_0123

Montie_0123

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:00 PM

That was a great read, what the writer wrote I've been telling people for a long time. And what's so true about it QB Steve Young brings same thing up whenever he does a game for the panthers and he always talks about how he wished he had S.Smith on his teams because he never seen a WR who was 5'9 play like he was 6 ft and just dominate people the way he did. When the day comes when 89 is no longer on the field on Sundays I'm truly going to miss him.

#25 Udogg

Udogg

Cardiac Victim since 95

• HUDDLER
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:03 PM

Ring of fame is one thing, statue is another and............ HOF is something completely different.

I will say this.......... no one and I mean no one, should ever wear 89 after Smitty hangs them up.

If Sam Mills got a mother##$#$## statue then Steve Smith better get one.

#26 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 11,987 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:15 PM

His days are indeed numbered, due to his age. Not many WRs in their mid thirties still making an impact in the league, and he's still our #1. It will be a sad day when he decides to hang 'em up.

Yeah but not many receivers in their mid thirties are on that all organic diet either

#27 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

the illustrious potentate

• HUDDLER
  • 3,921 posts
  • LocationShelby

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:41 PM

Smith will play 3 or maybe even 4 more years.  His legend with this fan base will only grow and if we can get him a ring (or two).  He will be our first true Canton inductee and he will get his wish and get to spend as many years as he wants as an analyst/broadcaster/radio/TV personality and one hell of a dad/husband along the way.

Steve Smith may not be the GOAT right now, but he can make it into the top 5 if Shula and company can pull this ship together with Cam at the helm.

I can see it, I can feel it, I can say it. 

If the world ended tomorrow, Steve Smith would be the greatest Panther of all time.

If the world ends in 5 years, Steve Smith will be Canton bound.

#28 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• HUDDLER
  • 12,457 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:03 AM

Carolina Panthers

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) --

Head Coach- Steve Smith

Owner Jerry Richardson leaves his favorite son Steve Smith half of the Carolina Panthers and makes him head coach for life. Steve Smith said " I owe all this to the Carolina Huddle and Jasonluckydog , Zod should make Jasonluckydog a mod"

www.jasonluckydoghadadream.com

#29 Achilles

Achilles

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:12 AM

If he never wins the Superbowl, his chances are pretty low I think. If he ranks in the top 3 receivers in the league this season and maybe one more, and gets to the playoffs it will be close. I have been watching NFlL football for 30 years and Smitty is a rare, almost uncanny, athlete.

This organization is lucky to have a player like Smitty ( despite the anger management issues). The article puts Smitty's career in context based on the QB. Obviously, Delhomme had the most success. He does have a pretty good connection with Cam. I think he needs at least 3 more seasons as a starter before he considers hanging up the boots.

#30 h0llywood

h0llywood

I HATE LUKE KUECHLY!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:14 AM

Here's the same guy with his formula of the top WR of all time.....................

http://www.footballp...areer-rankings/

And coming in at #9.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.