Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Safety Philosophy

51 posts in this topic

Posted

Gettin the intimidation going in the preseason so they don't have to rack up penalties in the regular?

Posted

I would rather have a safety laying the wood and taking an occasional penalty than watch DJ Campbell supposedly play safety on that 3rd quarter TD pass by Flacco.

It's a lot easier to fix over-aggressiveness than teach aggressiveness.

Posted

Mitchell's late hit penalty was a pretty tacky call...

Maybe so but how about the hit on the qb that was not called? I watched his late hit last year aginst Cam and I have wached him this year I think he crosses the line in todays NFL and will be a liability. Having said that I would take him over naki

Posted

No, but will the receiver staring down a nasty shot think twice when that ball comes his way?

That's the question.

Sure but but there is a fine line to walk ....if it cost your team 15 yards in a critical part of the game it is not worth it.

Posted

We're going to see a lot of dink and dunking from opposing offenses this year.  DBs absolutely have to hit receivers hard.  Penalties or not, QBs are not going to respect this secondary.

Posted

We're going to see a lot of dink and dunking from opposing offenses this year.  DBs absolutely have to hit receivers hard.  Penalties or not, QBs are not going to respect this secondary.

QB's might not, but if you think you are about to get the ever loving poo knocked out of you, it changes how you prepare. That's part of what made Hines Ward so invaluable for years. He seemed to not care if the big hit was coming.

Posted

QB's might not, but if you think you are about to get the ever loving poo knocked out of you, it changes how you prepare. That's part of what made Hines Ward so invaluable for years. He seemed to not care if the big hit was coming.

Yeah that's what I'm saying.  QBs won't respect the secondary so we must force WRs to.  

1 person likes this

Posted

Oh yeah, Mr. Scot, you should be a mod.

Posted

Ward was just as likely to be the guy delivering the hit.

Posted

That is true too.

Posted

And the mods have been chosen already.

Posted

I'm a fan of Mitchell's nasty play. We need a Smittyesque chippy player on our D. 89 is good for a few personal fouls every few weeks, and I personally love that about him. So long as Mitchell can back it up with decent play, I'm fine with it. Just as long as it's not blatant Saint like behavior.