Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Safety Philosophy

51 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

yes, if they have qualities other than intimidation such as instincts and coverage skills.

Posted · Report post

I'm kind of over having a bunch of nice guys out there. Finally some players who get physical and talk smack (Mitchell, kuechly, Norman).

Posted · Report post

Could you rephrase so that I know precisely what you are asking? The first part of your question is somewhat... ambiguous?

I'll try again....

If Tom Brady knows player X is horrible in coverage and wants to pick on him. Is he going to stop bc the defender laid a hit on one of his WRs? I wouldn't think that would suddenly make Tom Brady change his mind....

Posted · Report post

I'll try again....

If Tom Brady knows player X is horrible in coverage and wants to pick on him. Is he going to stop bc the defender laid a hit on one of his WRs? I wouldn't think that would suddenly make Tom Brady change his mind....

No but if the receiver cant line up the next play and his backup alligator arms the catch..well..

Posted · Report post

I'll try again....

Tom Brady's good play turns into a bad one when the receiver spends too much focus on the incoming hit.  But yes I see your point and I think I agree.  I'd rather have a solid clean player than a dirty big hitter.

Posted · Report post

More of the Mike Mitchell discussion from preseason...

As it turns out, Mitchell hasn't really generated that many penalties.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I think the safeties have been laying the wood on a consistent basis without really causing idiotic penalties. Which is great.

Posted · Report post

I'd agree.

I'm pretty happy with the results to date.

Posted · Report post

I'll still take the occasional penalty for a jaw dropping hit...

Posted · Report post

I'll still take the occasional penalty for a jaw dropping hit...

A lot of folks probably would.

I'm happy that at least so far though, we haven't had to make that trade off.

Posted · Report post

Is revive old thread night?

Posted · Report post

I dont know why people downplay players' emotions on the field. Fans act like theyre statues or robots in a game of Madden. They are people just like you and I. They feel hate, they feel pain, and they feel fear. Its the very reason why Smitty does what he does when he gets a 1st. Getting someone to emotionally compromise themselves in a game is very big. . . ask Jordan.

For this reason I say its very important for a safety to let a guy know that he's willing to knock his head off if he tries something dumb. Its sticks with you for the whole season, not just that game.