• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 Chaos

Chaos

@chaos_cltsports

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,442 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:03 AM

Lafell, smdh - I was ready to annoint Gettis as a serious competitor for #2, then he got a drop too.

Garry Williams straight turrible

Star, Short, Frank the Tank, Keek all have the rising stock.  Our secondary still looks lost if we don't get the push up front though.

#17 Pejorative Miscreant

Pejorative Miscreant

Cold Ass Honky

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:18 AM

My (less than expert and moderately... ok  extremely inebriated ) take on the game and the state of our Panthers. 

• I am overall much more optimistic about this team now.  If Ray Lewis had not retired and was still playing he would have been the 2nd best (speaking of current ability not total body of work so dont blast me) LB on the field.  If the Panthers show up this year in some big games I think that at the end of the year Luke will be regarded as the best MLB in the league and has the potential to carry that torch for a long time.  The defense as a whole seems ready to play and we have some ballers.  Mitchell needs to stop making douche bag plays but if they can somehow harness that the unit will be formidable each and every week.

• The offense is a question mark.  After seeing the first offensive series (most notable Bell being pushed back into Cam resulting in an errant pass) my opinion was reinforced that the OL is by far the weakest link on the team and should be addressed prior to the game with the Seagulls.

• After the Defense took over and the OL being so sucky, I concluded that we would see few if any "non vanilla" offensive plays.  Shula would keep everything conservative and keep the Gulls guessing.

• Overall we appear to have an elite defense and an offense with some potentially elite players that are being hamstrung by a sub-par OL.

I think the there are 3 things we need to do between now and opening day

1. Get Mitchell under control
  2. Get a couple (or three) Offensive Linemen
  3. Scrimmage our subpar OL against our extremely formidable front 7 in hopes of helping them have a crash course so they are not totally overwhelmed in September.

#18 catfang

catfang

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,549 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

Riser: my dick when I saw what Keek did last night. I love that man. I'd have his babies. No homo of course.

#19 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,900 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

what was most impressive about star to me is how easy he made it look. He just tossed people aside, if you specifically watch him off the snap. he explodes off the line and surprises the poo out of the o-line. KK was all over the place hustling, slithering by the o-line and making plays as well. This DT tandem is so much fun to watch.

#20 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,980 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:01 AM

I think folks are overreacting a bit about Armond Smith's ejection.

It was quite a little bit overblown of an incident in the first place, and Smith is a versatile player for us.

#21 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 9,136 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:06 AM

Fua - fell

No seriously...he got knocked down on every play

#22 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

Riser - Sean McDermott. Never again will he be called McDerp. He just unleashed a style of defense that relies on tricking the QB, showing him a formation, and then shifting late to take away what he wanted to do only seconds before. It worked. And we had the pressure up front to force Flacco to make quick decisions. If we continue to execute this style of defense to perfection and generate pressure, then we might break the record for most interceptions by a Panthers defense.  

Fallers - O-line, Cam Newton.

#23 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,566 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

Keek, Star, KK, Alexander, Davis.

O-Line, RB's, Cam (not just him on this one). every WR not named SS.

This O Line will only allow us to win 7-8 games even with that defensive front.  You still need to be able to put up 24 per game on O to win week in and week out.  This D will tire out quickly with rookie DT's and everyone flying around like crazy if the O can't stay on the field.

#24 French Navy

French Navy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationKing of the world, on a boat like Leo

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

K.K. has now looked good in all the preseason games, right? Great DT picks this year!

#25 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

It's a good thing Gano has looked solid, because with this crappy offense we'll be kicking a lot of FGs.

Oline was terrible, and Cam was overthrowing, I'd probably put blame 66% oline and 33% on Cam for our troubles.  I can't blame Cam for not finding people open since we had ZERO run game but when someone WAS open and it overthrows, come on.  LaFell and Gettis with clear drops too.

Defense was awesome and fun to watch.  One thing I noticed is now that we have some DL depth we're able to have some better rotations in there.

#26 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 41,454 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:38 AM

Rising: Richard Rogers. As special teams coordinator he has put together what looks like could be the best special teams unit in many seasons.

I'd include Bruce DeHaven in that.

#27 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,900 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

he missed TWO fuging throws. 3 people dropped passes.

#28 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,295 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

Rising: Richard Rogers. As special teams coordinator he has put together what looks like could be the best special teams unit in many seasons.

i would say that rogers benefitted from bruce dehaven being his asst. coach/mentor. dehaven is pretty much a legend in the special teams world.

dehaven is far more qualified to be the STs coach. i'm not sure if dehaven was brought in to mentor  rogers or to be the back up plan in case rogers didn't work out. maybe both.

that said, when i found out that dehaven was coming here i knew we were in for a boon to our special teams. he is by far the best coach we've had on special teams that i can remember us ever having.

bills team site has a good bio on him and his accomplishments: http://www.buffalobi...56-eb043b5d78dd

ginn was another great addition as well, but i think that dehaven is the guy that will help us more than anything on STs this year. i don't think that rogers is a scrub, btw. i think we were better when he took over last year, but there's no doubt in my mind that dehaven will make rogers better.

#29 jayflip

jayflip

vaya con dios

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,844 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

Gano has won us all over somehow. Not one poster was content with him at the start of the offseason, but the man has some serious leg.

#30 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,295 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:55 AM

star, kk, alexander...all risers in my mind. all three of those guys looked good.

i liked the secondary as well. they were very opportunistic and really took advantage of the pressure applied by the defensive front which is exactly what they should be doing.

beason looked good in the little bit he was out there. i was a bit nbervous for him, but he seemed to be able to jump right back into the action.

shula scares me. that offense last night was supposed to be a glimpse into what we should expect for the team. defense and special teams looked great in every aspect. the offense....not so much. i know that the OL presented a lot of problems, but shula seemed unable to adjust. i have this feeling that my concerns about him and in-game management will be justified. i have seen nothing to make me feel like my doubts about his abilities as a play-caller will be wrong, and i'm not happy. the offense was predictable. the offense didn't have their poo together. individual players need to step up. gettleman needs to get OL help and be aggressive with getting it once cuts start coming in, but on the whole shula needs to get his offense clicking. he needs to get them better prepared and better managed while the game is being played. i know that the players like him and respect him, but if he can't manage a better game than that those players in his corner will only be there out of obligation. the respect will dissipate.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com