Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Barner over Williams

178 posts in this topic

Posted

this logic is incredibly flawed .. wow

It's not, really.

DWill is very talented and given any form of OL play other than "derp just stand there gaiz" he will gain more yards.  The thing is he's a smart, patient runner who wants to let his blocks develop and pick his hole.  Behind an OL that is not developing blocks or generating holes this type of runner generates low to no yards per carry because they're stopped in the backfield or pushing just to get back to the line of scrimmage.  Add to this that DWill is not as fast as he was as a rookie (who is?) and you have a bad situation for a very talentd RB.

In Barner you have a young guy, very fast, without the patience to let a block develop who runs as hard as he can (which is pretty hard) at the first sliver of daylight he sees.  Behind an OL that is not developing blocks and not generating holes this might be the ONLY daylight you see and it must be seized.  In this situation the type of runner who is normally flawed by not having patience might be a better choice exactly because of that stylistic difference that we normally consider a flaw.

This may or may not end up being the case depending on how things turn out but the logic in suggesting it MIGHT be the way to do things is not flawed in any way.  Especially based on what we've see.

And for the record noone that I see is suggesting that Barner is the better / more talented back. Just that he's the one that might gain the most yards with the poo OL we have.

Posted

I don't care about who is the best RB

I care who is the best RB for the Panthers

When you factor in money, talent, oline, etc

Barner and Tolbert make the most sense

Posted

There are a lot of fans extremely emotionally attached to Deangelo, apparently.

3 people like this

Posted

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7776/news Says on yahoo Barner has a foot injury. I hope he broke his damn foot. This forum is so worthless the mod is making ridiculous threads about how a worthless rookie should start after three worthless preseason games. He really means it too.
1 person likes this

Posted

Dwill has always been the kind of back that waits for his blocks to develop (which I'm not knocking) but with this Oline your not going to be able to do that.

Barner just grabs and goes and gets what he can while he can. Basically 1 yard is better than no yards.

Zod and mwright350 are not saying barner is better than dwill. But for this unique situation with an Oline so bad, barner is the better option with his style of running. Of course it's a small sample size and I'm just going by what I've seen so far as well.

Posted

I still have yet to see a good argument from a dwill fan

Posted

Williams had four carries lol.

Posted

we know from the past it takes 5-7 weeks for this line to start opening up running lanes, coincidentally the same time we start winning.  looks like this year may be no different

Posted

I can't ever tell when Zod is series or just throwing crazy threads out there that he knows will cause people to get emotional.

In any event, if you want Cam to get killed let Barner start.  I could block back there better than he did last night.  Guy has to learn how to block in the NFL before he even sniffs starting. 

And Deangelo rules.  I'd rather have him over any of our RB behind whomever is on the OL.

Posted

Game over.

Posted

D-lo has a career YPC average of five yards.  What is Barners? Quit buying into this RBs are worthless after 30 nonsense.  That is the only reason I can fathom why someone who gets as close to the action as Zod would ever post something like this.  I don't think D-lo has the speed to bounce it outside anymore.  Alot must have changed in ten months, because he sure ran a few long TDs last year.  This is ESPN logic on this thread.  This seems like the opinion of someone who doesn't even watch the Panthers.

Posted

You call it whatever you want..... I call it like I see it. Whether I am a fan of a player, team, coach, etc... If a guy is underperforming and is getting outplayed then so be it. This isn't about being attached. Go on somewhere with that homeboy.