Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My waning confidence in our running backs.

57 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

That's a silly comparison. They run out of different circumstances. Line up Cam behind the QB and send him between the tackles on a handoff and see how far he gets.

True but if the O-Line was that bad Cam wouldn't have run to run in the first place.

Posted · Report post

True but if the O-Line was that bad Cam wouldn't have run to run in the first place.

But we didn't call any of those plays this preseason.  I think we have apples & oranges here.

You're talking last year.  We're talking this preseason.

Like I said, last year was about play calling.  This preseason it's about the o-line.

Posted · Report post

But we didn't call any of those plays this preseason.  I think we have apples & oranges here.

You're talking last year.  We're talking this preseason.

Like I said, last year was about play calling.  This preseason it's about the o-line.

So D Will gets none of the blame?

Posted · Report post

So D Will gets none of the blame?

Not for last night.  Neither does Barner nor Poole.  I can't see it.  We won't even talk about A Smith, stupid, stupid, stupid.

I'm not saying RB's can't be blamed for bad runs at times.  They'll hesitate too long or make a wrong cut or stay behind blockers longer than they need or lose their balance, and so forth.  It happens. 

Posted · Report post

If the o-line wasn't that bad, Cam wouldn't have to run.

Posted · Report post

It would be hard for any back to succeed when they're  getting tackled as soon as they touch the ball. 

Posted · Report post

I was talking about this preseason. And, yes, we use a FB. His name is Tolbert.

When it seems that none of our RB's can penetrate for much more than a few yards, it's the o-line. Last year, it was play calling.

You'll have to ask Rivera that question. Maybe our o-line play wasn't up to par? Williams did okay when the o-line played decent, while Stewart was out.

You wouldn't even need to two hands probably to count the number of times Tolbert was used as a lead blocker last year....

He is more of a power RB. He isn't a Hoov FB....that is almost a dead breed

Posted · Report post

D-Will is Barry Sanders-esque. He may have 14 carries for 30 yards then break off a 60 yard TD run.

He gets yards in chunks. Not a guy that gets you 3-4 yards on every carry.

It is great because of the explosiveness but can also hurt you by getting little yards on a carry by carry basis.

Barry Sanders spent a career behind a weak OL....and was Barry Sanders. DWill doesn't belong in that kinda talk. Great RB in his prime but not even close to what Sanders was

Posted · Report post

You wouldn't even need to two hands probably to count the number of times Tolbert was used as a lead blocker last year....

He is more of a power RB. He isn't a Hoov FB....that is almost a dead breed

Exactly!  It was play calling last year.

Posted · Report post

Exactly! It was play calling last year.

I think it was talent....they didn't have the talent to execute anything consistantly.

If you have the talent to execute....you can have Jeff Davidson call your plays and win.

Tolbert isn't a lead blocking FB. Can't go back to Foxball and pretend he is Hoov and our OL can smash people.

What did you want to see different? Chud's biggest flaw was situational play calls.....not generating offense

Posted · Report post

Barry Sanders spent a career behind a weak OL....and was Barry Sanders. DWill doesn't belong in that kinda talk. Great RB in his prime but not even close to what Sanders was

I meant that in terms if how he gets his yardage. Not saying he is anywhere near the level of Barry Sanders. Just meant he will have some 1,2, or negative yard plays, but then break off large chunks of yards on a handful of carries.

Posted · Report post

Helps to have an o line that actually blocks or gets any push at all.