Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My waning confidence in our running backs.

57 posts in this topic

Posted

No one was hating on Hoov....said he was arguably the best blocking FB in the game.

Teams just don't use them anymore....and even if you wanted one you can't find a Hoov.

i was just making the point that dwill would be fine with proper blocking. a good fullback worked wonders in the past. we did substitute that with shock & olsen which worked out pretty good for all our runners. but none the less, it all starts on the line for the offense.

Posted

Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, and Adrian Peterson are the only running backs in NFL history with a higher yards per carry average (minimum 1,000 attempts) than DeAngelo Williams.

Please, tell me more about how much he sucks.

Posted

We have 2 guys starting on our oline that would be either backups or not even on the roster on any other team. Worst oline in football.

Posted

I really hate criticism of running backs behind terrible offensive lines.

Posted

Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, and Adrian Peterson are the only running backs in NFL history with a higher yards per carry average (minimum 1,000 attempts) than DeAngelo Williams.

That stat doesn't prevent him from aging and turning into a different RB....

And no one says he sucks...you are just too defensive in regards to Mr. Williams

Posted

D-Will doesn't quite have the same burst he once had, but he's still a fantastic back. He needs a team that can actually block for him. We are currently not that team.

Posted

"As a Running Back however he has digressed significantly since our last playoff appearance, and I personally don't see him as a top 20 RB in the league anymore."

You do know the last playoff appearance was in January 10, 2009, right? That was 4 years and almost 9 months ago?

He hasn't "digressed," he's gotten almost 4 years older. And he's getting older at a time when the Panther O-line is getting worse.

Posted

Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, Doug Martin, Arian Foster, Jamaal Charles, LeSean McCoy, C.J. Spiller, Trent Richardson, Ray Rice, Alfred Morris, Matt Forte, Chris Johnson, Frank Gore, Steven Jackson, Maurice Jones Drew, Jonathan Stewart....all are better players than Deangelo right now. I probably left somebody out.

OP is right, he's not a game changer at this point in his career. The Barry Sanders comparison made earlier was RIDICULOUS!

Posted

Even if they were as good as some people here want to believe , and they aren't anymore, they obviously aren't so amazing they can overcome a terrible line, which is where the money spent on them should have gone. Get ready for a long season of mediocre play and a whole bunch of excuses. 

Posted

the difference between williams and those guys...the only way williams gets into the hall of fame is if he buys a ticket.

there's a heck of a lot more to being a great running back than ypc.

Posted

Good god its preseason. Yes the o line sucks but get to the regular season first. We'll pickup a guy or two be fine. Gettleman hasn't even made it to his first game as a gm. Building a team takes time.

Posted

My waning confidence in our OL.