Photo
- - - - -

My waning confidence in our running backs.

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#31 LA_Panther

LA_Panther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

If there were holes he wasn't hitting or the fact that the ravens were 3 yards in the backfield on every run play, then I would agree with the OP.  Being that's not the case, I will say that Deangelo is still the best all around back on the team.  Give him some holes and he runs better. 

Gotta disagree. If he can stay healthy, I think Stew is the best RB on the team, because a bruiser like that will get you yards even with a bad O-line. He also has the explosion and the speed of D-Will.

#32 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,305 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:27 PM

I'm not sure where you're going with your reasoning. No one was talented last year, so we called shitty plays? And then in November everyone became talented so we called better plays?

{{sigh}} Tolbert is our FB, that is what you asked. And if Tolbert is out there and the RB runs the ball, he better be blocking or distracting defense somehow.

What did I want to see? Wins.

Simply put....OL play last year prevented us ultimately from being able to be consistent. Other things factored in but that was the biggest.

Later in the year Cam and the D got better....and the easier schedule helped.

All this OL stuff was evident last year.

And there are many types of FBs just like there are TEs. Hoover and Tolbert are about as similar as Olsen and Brokel.

#33 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,645 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

Oline.

Williams can still run.

Love the blinders the OP is wearing.

#34 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,305 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

That doesn't sound like a problem with ability of our RBs. Negative plays disappear fast with good blocking.

We don't have good blocking....didn't last year. When we handed off last year it stalled drives and put is in 3rd and longs. A problem

#35 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

So D Will gets none of the blame?

offensive & defensive lines are at least 80% of the game imo. They are far more active in what's happening during playsets than most give credit for or even realize. Truly is a team game, where everyone should share the blame. Yet the qb, coach & sometimes rbs take the brunt of the blame. Watch the losing half of last year & then the winning half. Oline was the difference then. & will be the difference now. For all thbe fb haters...., go ask dwill if hoover was worth paying?

Sent from my ADR910L using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#36 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,305 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

offensive & defensive lines are at least 80% of the game imo. They are far more active in what's happening during playsets than most give credit for or even realize. Truly is a team game, where everyone should share the blame. Yet the qb, coach & sometimes rbs take the brunt of the blame. Watch the losing half of last year & then the winning half. Oline was the difference then. & will be the difference now. For all thbe fb haters...., go ask dwill if hoover was worth paying?

Sent from my ADR910L using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

No one was hating on Hoov....said he was arguably the best blocking FB in the game.

Teams just don't use them anymore....and even if you wanted one you can't find a Hoov.

#37 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

No one was hating on Hoov....said he was arguably the best blocking FB in the game.

Teams just don't use them anymore....and even if you wanted one you can't find a Hoov.

i was just making the point that dwill would be fine with proper blocking. a good fullback worked wonders in the past. we did substitute that with shock & olsen which worked out pretty good for all our runners. but none the less, it all starts on the line for the offense.

#38 Guest_Spider Monkey_*

Guest_Spider Monkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, and Adrian Peterson are the only running backs in NFL history with a higher yards per carry average (minimum 1,000 attempts) than DeAngelo Williams.

Please, tell me more about how much he sucks.

#39 FattyFatFat

FattyFatFat

Buddhist Monk

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts
  • LocationMint Hill

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

We have 2 guys starting on our oline that would be either backups or not even on the roster on any other team. Worst oline in football.

#40 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 19,044 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

I really hate criticism of running backs behind terrible offensive lines.

#41 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,305 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, and Adrian Peterson are the only running backs in NFL history with a higher yards per carry average (minimum 1,000 attempts) than DeAngelo Williams.

Please, tell me more about how much he sucks.

That stat doesn't prevent him from aging and turning into a different RB....

And no one says he sucks...you are just too defensive in regards to Mr. Williams

#42 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,756 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:41 PM

D-Will doesn't quite have the same burst he once had, but he's still a fantastic back. He needs a team that can actually block for him. We are currently not that team.

#43 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,640 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:45 PM

"As a Running Back however he has digressed significantly since our last playoff appearance, and I personally don't see him as a top 20 RB in the league anymore."

You do know the last playoff appearance was in January 10, 2009, right? That was 4 years and almost 9 months ago?

He hasn't "digressed," he's gotten almost 4 years older. And he's getting older at a time when the Panther O-line is getting worse.

#44 WolfpackRob

WolfpackRob

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationVegas

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, Doug Martin, Arian Foster, Jamaal Charles, LeSean McCoy, C.J. Spiller, Trent Richardson, Ray Rice, Alfred Morris, Matt Forte, Chris Johnson, Frank Gore, Steven Jackson, Maurice Jones Drew, Jonathan Stewart....all are better players than Deangelo right now. I probably left somebody out.

OP is right, he's not a game changer at this point in his career. The Barry Sanders comparison made earlier was RIDICULOUS!

#45 Keith Moons Liver

Keith Moons Liver

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:06 AM

Even if they were as good as some people here want to believe , and they aren't anymore, they obviously aren't so amazing they can overcome a terrible line, which is where the money spent on them should have gone. Get ready for a long season of mediocre play and a whole bunch of excuses. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com