Photo
- - - - -

PGA Tour: The Barclays in New Jersey

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#31 Bob NC

Bob NC

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

So, yes, while the fans simply dictate via TV viewership and ratings who the media covers, I'm still trying to figure out what the viewing public uses as criteria when choosing their sports idols. 

When I decide whether or not I like a sports player, or an actor or actress, I base it on their performances in their craft.

I couldn't care less what they do in the hours I am not watching them work. 

I have a friend who refuses to watch Tom Cruise because she doesn't agree with his religion, she won't watch Susan Sarandon because she doesn't agree with her politics.

You know the only thing I care about Tom & Susan?  What they do during that 2 hours I am watching them work.  I'd rather know my neighbors opinions on politics rather than Susan Sarandon or Bruce Springsteen.

I like Tiger because I enjoy watching him play and compete on the golf course.  As far as I'm concerned, I shouldn't even KNOW what his relationship is with his wife, or girlfriend, or a friggin goat for that matter.

Whether or not Tiger gives to the United Way, or signs 10 autographs instead of 100, or smiles like a goofy dickhead after hitting a poor shot is of no concern to me.

I'm part of the viewing public and I choose my favorite athletes based on past and present performance.

#32 Bob NC

Bob NC

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

Not sure where you get this.  Golf was on it's way out?  How?

I'm not denying that Tiger had an impact on the popularity of the game, especially for young people, but on it's way out?  Hardly.

People love a winner.  Tiger came on the tour and dominated for years, people love that...  see also Michael Jordan and guys of that type for proof of this.

Ratings were stagnant.  Purses were stagnant.

The number of younger golfers entering the game was shrinking.

Arnold, Gary, Jack were pretty much finished.

Tiger energized everything having to do with the game.

#33 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:27 AM

Ratings were stagnant.  Purses were stagnant.

The number of younger golfers entering the game was shrinking.

Arnold, Gary, Jack were pretty much finished.

Tiger energized everything having to do with the game.

Again, I'm not denying Tiger had an effect...  but to say that golf was dying?  I think you're dead wrong.

#34 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

HUDDLER

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:29 AM

Also, FYI... it's not just Tiger that brings in the ratings...

http://blogs.golf.co...-mickelson.html

Of course, before Pebble Beach, weekend golf ratings were off the chart as viewers tuned in to watch Phil Mickelson's win at the Phoenix Open (up 65 percent) and Tiger Woods's win at the Farmers Insurance Open (up 85 percent). The downward trend continued at the Accenture Match Play Championship last weekend after Woods and Rory McIlroy lost in the first round. (Mickelson didn't play the event.) 

#35 Bob NC

Bob NC

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

Again, I'm not denying Tiger had an effect...  but to say that golf was dying?  I think you're dead wrong.

Okay, instead of splitting hairs, the sport was not growing.

#36 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

HUDDLER

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

Okay, instead of splitting hairs, the sport was not growing.

Yeah I can agree with that.  But I suspect that had been the case for many years.

Before Tiger there were plenty of stars playing... Tom Watson, Ernie Els, David Duval (at the time)... hell, even John Daly.

Phil was up and coming then too...

Tiger just came in and dominated like no one had done since Nicklaus and it did garner a lot of attention, particularly since he was so young.