Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cam and his accuracy issues.

169 posts in this topic

Posted

I have noticed this too. I can't claim to be a NFL QB expert but it just seems like a lot of the elite QBs make far more throws to wide open WR than ones that require tremendous timing and touch. Of course they make those throws all the time but 6/10 completions are to guys that have a lot of space and maybe 2/10 are what I would call difficult.

Cam, in my opinion, attempts far too many of these difficult passes. Is it the system? Or Cam? Or the plays being called?

Peyton Manning seems to be interested in getting the ball to his play makers and letting them work. Our offense seems to be interested in Cam making plays.

-Part of that is the Panthers scheme (they don't trick the defense well enough)

-Part of it's the Panthers (receivers don't get open, enough separation). 

-And part of it's Cam (not seeing the open receiver soon enough, or forcing it to a complaining, but double covered Steve Smith). 

Hopefully, the offense, receivers, and Cam will all bet better at this the upcoming season. 

Posted

I think it's more correct to say he has a consistency problem, but that has a lot to do with the type of QB he is.

Have said it before: Newton's never going to be a pinpoint accurate passer like Drew Brees or Tom Brady. Rather, like Brett Favre, he's going to tend toward a mix of "holy cow" and "what the $@&%". You'll see him within the same game make passes with laser accuracy followed up by passes that look like he threw with his eyes closed. Favre did it his entire career.

You can't coach that kind of thing out of a natural gunslinger. Nor should you try. That inner confidence that results in the occasional "oh no" is also what produces all those moments of "oh yeah".

Me? I'm okay with that.

Brett Favre and John Elway both got Super Bowl rings playing that way. Jake Delhomme came pretty darn close. You can win with a guy who's more daredevil than surgeon as long as you understand that's who he is and build your offense appropriately around him.

7 people like this

Posted

I think it's more correct to say he has a consistency problem, but that has a lot to do with the type of QB he is.

Have said it before: Newton's never going to be a pinpoint accurate passer like Drew Brees or Tom Brady. Rather, like Brett Favre, he's going to tend toward a mix of "holy cow" and "what the $@&%". You'll see him within the same game make passes with laser accuracy followed up by passes that look like he threw with his eyes closed. Favre did it his entire career.

You can't coach that kind of thing out of a natural gunslinger. Nor should you try. That inner confidence that results in the occasional "oh no" is also what produces all those moments of "oh yeah".

Me? I'm okay with that.

Brett Favre and John Elway both got Super Bowl rings playing that way. Jake Delhomme came pretty darn close. You can win with a guy who's more daredevil than surgeon as long as you understand that's who he is and build your offense appropriately around him.

We'll said.

Posted

Me? I'm okay with that.

Good points.

The only this is; we don't know if he can be "a surgeon" like Brees, Brady" and manning are now, until he has adequate protection and a few more years in the league. So let's not automatically write him off yet (though I know you're saying he's good enough NOW as is). I get that. 

Remember, Drew Brees bounced around the league initially. Brady didn't start right away, and Manning had a boatload of INT's his Rookie year. But they all got better. Cam claims he wants to be the best, and works hard. So Maybe he'll do the same? We also can't forget both Manning, and Brady look horrible with out adequate protection and schemes. Cam at least needs a good, consistent O Line, to help his inner "surgeon-like" ability blossom as well. . 

We'll see?

Posted

Isn't it ironic, that Washington, Seattle, and San Francisco ran more running than passing plays in 2012, but everyone in the media always discusses their QB's first, when their not even the first option on offense? SMH

Things that make you go hummh?

Posted

I always like pointing out cam is like the third tallest qb in the league throwing to maybe the shortest number one wr.

I don't know if that has an effect but it definitely makes not great throws look worse.

1 person likes this

Posted

Newton's height gives him phenomenal field vision.  It's one of his better traits.

Try finding a friend in a crowded room.  Then try it standing on a chair.  That'll give you an idea of Newton's advantages.

(it'll also get you a lot of weird looks) :unsure:

Posted

I always like pointing out cam is like the third tallest qb in the league throwing to maybe the shortest number one wr.

I don't know if that has an effect but it definitely makes not great throws look worse.

If you're saying a tall, high jumping, circus catch type receive--like AJ Green, would do wonders to Cam's completion, percentages, perception and TD numbers, you're absolutely right!

Hopefully, Gettis, Lafell, Hixon or Williams, will emerge as a poor mans AJ Green or Gronk/Jimmy Graham for Cam this year?

Posted

Double

Posted

Good points.

The only this is; we don't know if he can be "a surgeon" like Brees, Brady" and manning are now, until he has adequate protection and a few more years in the league. So let's not automatically write him off yet (though I know you're saying he's good enough NOW as is). I get that. 

Remember, Drew Brees bounced around the league initially. Brady didn't start right away, and Manning had a boatload of INT's his Rookie year. But they all got better. Cam claims he wants to be the best, and works hard. So Maybe he'll do the same? We also can't forget both Manning, and Brady look horrible with out adequate protection and schemes. Cam at least needs a good, consistent O Line, to help his inner "surgeon-like" ability blossom as well. . 

We'll see?

Granted, young QBs all have their struggles.  Often it's a matter of gaining chemistry, learning how to read the field, etc,

That said, in 40 years of watching football, I can't recall ever seeing a fireballer changed into a precision passer. 

What I have seen, though, is fireballers who became consistent enough to be winners (Terry Bradshaw is a good example of that).

It's a mistake to try and change the kind of quarterback he is.  What the coaches want to do is just make him "the best him" that he can be.

Put another way, you don't try to turn Cam Newton into Drew Brees.  You coach to turn Cam Newton into a better Cam Newton.

3 people like this

Posted

When he has time to set his feet his accuracy is fine, hard to eval his throws when he making them with an olineman in his lap.

Posted

Newton's height gives him phenomenal field vision. It's one of his better traits.

Try finding a friend in a crowded room. Then try it standing on a chair. That'll give you an idea of Newton's advantages.

(it'll also get you a lot of weird looks) :unsure:

I'm 6'6" so I can vouch for this.