94 replies to this topic

#16 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

3 Issues with trading for an offensive lineman:

1) I have heard nothing of any team or player that would be on trading block. That doesn't mean the options aren't out there. But before asking DG to trade something of value I'd like to know what the return at least could be.

2) The best time to make a trade will be between the 3rd and 4th preseason games. A quality starter that is still good but just so happened to get beat out by a young up and comer is the ideal situation. But teams aren't going to let go of a player until they are sure and no injuries have occurred.

3) And this is the most important point. Your assumption is that DG believes it is worth the risk to make a trade and that he sees Newton as his franshise QB. Neither may be case.

The fan in me agrees with you in that right now I'm still hopeful for this season and believe Newton is our guy. And maybe a trade may happen. But it's not like its as easy as just saying it. Other teams have to be willing as well.

Very good point about Newton, but you have to give him the tools to see exactly how good he can be. 

You invested a first overall pick in him and he has put up the best two years for any QB.   Most teams would prioritize protecting hin and give him a WR or two. 

However, this team has been saying they are running more to set up play action.  We are scaring nobody in the run game.  If we can't run or protect the passer, we wiill never know what we have at QB.  It is a different position when you can't get set and your timing is thrown off.

#17 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,486 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

Very good point about Newton, but you have to give him the tools to see exactly how good he can be.

You invested a first overall pick in him and he has put up the best two years for any QB. Most teams would prioritize protecting hin and give him a WR or two.

However, this team has been saying they are running more to set up play action. We are scaring nobody in the run game. If we can't run or protect the passer, we wiill never know what we have at QB. It is a different position when you can't get set and your timing is thrown off.

Hurney invested....not DG. DG could think ideally a different type O should be paired with his D

#18 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

I believe the philosophy behind the curtains is similar to what they think of CB's. I think they believe they can win with 2's and 3's as long as they have a LT and a C. It didnt look good to me.

How could they possibly justify taking a project in the 4th?

#19 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:05 AM

Gettleman isn't all in on this season. Luke got the weapons around him so the pressure is on Luke and the defense to lead this team. Not Cam and the offense. This team was built for games like the Baltimore showing.

#20 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,757 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

Tired of  "Rome wasnt built in a day" excuse, and it is an excuse. We've waited far too long.

#21 Dash Global

Dash Global

• HUDDLER
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

We have been building Rome since 2008.  What is your point?  Wait til next year?

We are close THIS year.  A RT is about all we need  to compete if our D stays healthy.  One player--and we sit on $16 million in cap room.

And you want to wait until 2014.

Kinda hard to build when you have an incompetent GM (Hurney). I have full confidence in Getts. 

We are gonna compete regardless if we bring in any OL help thanks to a good defense. I mean unless Shula lays a complete EGG. He atleast has Chuds playbook so I am hoping for atleast average playcalling. 

I want us to use our left over money and sign OL after cuts are made. Temporary bandages until we can do more next offseason. 

#22 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,511 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

how do people keep saying we've been building since 2008, through all the bad drafting, and never once acknowledge our CURRENT GM IS IN HIS FIRST YEAR?!?  lol

#23 SooSlow84

SooSlow84

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationYour mother's basement

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:31 AM

I have lost at least four IQ points by reading the comments in this thread. May god have mercy on your souls.

#24 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,511 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

I have lost at least four IQ points by reading the comments in this thread. May god have mercy on your souls.

pretty much...

#25 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,512 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:38 AM

I can't help but to wonder how far along we'd be now if we hired Gettleman in 2009 when we should've gotten rid of Hurney and Fox and started over

#26 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

Kinda hard to build when you have an incompetent GM (Hurney). I have full confidence in Getts. 

We are gonna compete regardless if we bring in any OL help thanks to a good defense. I mean unless Shula lays a complete EGG. He atleast has Chuds playbook so I am hoping for atleast average playcalling. 

I want us to use our left over money and sign OL after cuts are made. Temporary bandages until we can do more next offseason. 

I see your point. Agree about Hurney too.  I imagine John Fox thinks this is the most dysfunctional place on earth.

#27 SgtJoo

SgtJoo

Reppin that Bull City

• HUDDLER
  • 3,679 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

Ron Rivera says #Panthers will determine if they will look outside organization for O-line help after Thursday's game vs. #Steelers.

https://twitter.com/...383812388691968

Did nobody see this?

#28 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 5,232 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:55 AM

Its not so much about finding impact o linemen, its more about finding people better than what we have. I think we will be ok with serviceable guys.

#29 Rhell

Rhell

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

The Seahawks traded a scrub OG for a scrub DT last week.  We have some crappy players we can swap at CB, DT, and WR for a decent OL if we were really looking at all our options.

http://profootballta...ga-to-seahawks/

#30 Udogg

Udogg

Cardiac Victim since 95

• HUDDLER
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:57 AM

Make a trade. 

While we do not have much to offer,  it is time to get serious about RT.  Or you can spend all of that cap room on a mediocre QB, someone for Cam to watch from the rehab tub. 

So we need to make a trade with someone to get a starting quality RT/RG even though we don't have anything really tradeable that we could part with.   Makes sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com