Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carolina Panthers Shifting the Line

60 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Interesting note in today's Observor article about Wharton:

The 6-foot-4, 315-pound Wharton likely will play left guard, where he played almost exclusively during his Carolina tenure, next to left tackle Jordan Gross, his friend and neighbor. That would move second-year guard Amini Silatolu to the right side and could bump Garry Williams to a reserve role.

Wonder if this is based on something from team sources or just pulled out of their ass...

Posted · Report post

Not to argue for the sake of arguing but the entire right side caves almost immediately on every snap.  I won't complain if there is any improvement but for the life of me I cannot see us not trying to shore up the right side before the left.  JMO.

I can't argue this point except if you put an extra blocker over there it would help alot. I think Gettleman still needs to bring in another O line player for the right side. I'm not sure if a RT will be cut that is better than Bell, but if so I would sign them. Silatolu isn't too bad to have come from a division II school and to be in his second year.

Posted · Report post

I prefer Silatolu between Gross and Kalil.  That's where he gets the most help.  That, plus I don't wanna see him having to learn a new position.

I'm one who still thinks Bell could be turned into a good guard, but Wharton right now is probably a better guard.

Right Guard would be my choice as the spot for him.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

What about this line Gross-Amini-Kalil-Wharton-Williams. I always thought Garry looked better at RT, played well against the giants last year

Posted · Report post

Interesting note in today's Observor article about Wharton:

Wonder if this is based on something from team sources or just pulled out of their ass...

person co-wrote that so.....

having said all i have, though....would soliatolu be better suited for the right side than wharton? i mean you want to have your powerhouse guys on the right side, typically. that might be something to consider.

i just don't like anything that doesn't help the right side outright. it's the weakest link. bringing in any vet OL and not using them to help out the right side just seems like a bit of an exercise in futility. that has to be the priority.

Posted · Report post

person co-wrote that so.....

having said all i have, though....would soliatolu be better suited for the right side than wharton? i mean you want to have your powerhouse guys on the right side, typically. that might be something to consider.

i just don't like anything that doesn't help the right side outright. it's the weakest link. bringing in any vet OL and not using them to help out the right side just seems like a bit of an exercise in futility. that has to be the priority.

Yeah.  Sounds like speculation.

Posted · Report post

Lets get a a RT now

Posted · Report post

my gut tells me a trade is in the works

Posted · Report post

you rotate kug in while he learns to take the skates off his feet.

i don't like starting rookies on the OL, regardless of what division they played in college or where they were drafted. bring them along slowly. throwing them in the fire might be good for their development, but it could effect the team in a really bad way.

bring kug along slowly this year. use him situationally when he's healthy again (rushing downs) and then go from there.

that's what i'd do, anyway.

you're a fucking cynic..  I think he could start day 1.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

my gut tells me a trade is in the works

As long as we get a new starter at RT

Posted · Report post

Gross - Wharton - Kalil - Amini - Bell

I honestly think that could work.

Posted · Report post

you're a fuging cynic..  I think he could start day 1.

i think he could. i just don't think it would be pretty.

i've never been a fan of rookie OLs starting, esp. for us since we've had to deal with it so much in the past few years. i think it is a necessary evil but i'm ready for experienced guys on the line who are used to working with each other. i don't like the growing pains involved.

i'm one of the few guys that like kugbilla's potential and have from the beginning (although i still wish we would have used that pick elsewhere...esp. on patton) but rookie OL play like they are on roller skates and they make a lot of mental mistakes bringing about penalties and negative yardage moreso than others on the line.