Photo
- - - - -

FYI, most people believed Martez Wilson was going to take Will Smith's spot all along,

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Big A

Big A

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:01 PM

Not only is he younger and more athletic than Smith, he's incredibly fast and put up great numbers last year. This loss will still hurt because the defense was planning on rotating guys in to keep them fresh and also we lost depth. im sure Saints will do same as Panthers, pick up someone from cuts like they did with Wharton.

http://www.canalstre...r-martez-wilson

As my countdown of the top 25 New Orleans Saints' players reaches No. 16 I look at Martez Wilson, an impressive athlete who should be making the most of a great opportunity this season.

In limited time last season Wilson was very efficient as a situational pass rusher. Yes, he only recorded 3 sacks. However, he also compiled an impressive 24 total pressures on just 206 pass rush snaps- good for a pressure frequency of 11.36%, and Pro Football Focus's 15th best pass rushing productivity for 4-3 DE's. Additionally, several factors are working in Wilson's favor to give him an opportunity to shine this upcoming season.

First off, Victor Butler's injury, while a terrible loss for the team, puts Wilson in a spot to contribute early and often. Second, Wilson seems to be very well suited as a 3-4 outside linebacker. He started as a 4-3 OLB and then became an undersized 4-3 DE, so a 3-4 OLB seems like a happy medium. Lastly, Will Smith has looked painfully slow this off-season. As I wrote in my entry piece for CSC (yes, this article was mine) it would be a shame if the Saints used Will Smith as an OLB over these talented youngsters.

Due to the lack of depth at OLB, Wilson should see a significant increase in snaps from 2012, and I expect his stats to reflect that. I don't think it's unrealistic at all to think that Wilson will approach double digit sacks, and be a consistent nuisance to opposing quarterbacks. As I've stated several times, Wilson's athleticism gives him exciting potential. If you remember, he recorded the fastest 40 yard dash of any linebacker at the 2011 combine with a ridiculous time of 4.49. That's what some receivers run. I know speed isn't everything, but speed like that can make for one hell of an edge rusher.

#2 BlanksKarma

BlanksKarma

Falcons Loser

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

Saints lose best pass-rusher and OLB, Pat says guy off bench is better anyway.

Color me shocked. :startle:

#3 jamos14

jamos14

The Huddle Beast

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:17 PM

Double digit sacks?!??!  LOL

The injury hurts way more than you are willing to admit. Your defense already sucked. Now you lost one of the key leaders and a consistent run-stopper.

Who knows if Vilma will be healthy.

And by most people, you must mean fans because Smith was starting for a reason (the coaches think he is better).  

#4 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

wouldnt surprise me if Wilson was more effective at OLB than Smith, who I kinda thought would be a decent DE

#5 Big A

Big A

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,204 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

Best pass rusher!? Check your stats!

This is from the 109 guys that played any snaps at DE in 2012:

Ranked 19th of 109 - Junior Gallette played 301 snaps had 5 sacks 25 QB pressures 13 tackles 1 asst 13 stops

Ranked 33rd of 109 - Martez Wilson played 203 snaps had 2 sacks and 16 QB pressures 5 tackles 8 asst 5 stops

Ranked 69th of 109 - Cameron Jordan played 1059 snaps had 8 sacks and 39 pressures 51tackles 12 assts 42 stops

Ranked 82nd of 109 - Turk McBride played 141 snaps had 0 sacks and 9 pressures 8 tackles 1asst and 7 stops

Ranked 108 of 109 - WILL SMITH played 1007 snaps had 4 sacks and 30 pressures 33 tackles 14 assts 23 stops

Tell me again who was the best rusher for Saints?

#6 Big A

Big A

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,204 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:03 PM

Double digit sacks?!??! LOL

The injury hurts way more than you are willing to admit. Your defense already sucked. Now you lost one of the key leaders and a consistent run-stopper.

Who knows if Vilma will be healthy.

And by most people, you must mean fans because Smith was starting for a reason (the coaches think he is better).

Gallette and Wilson have been out and Wilson just started practicing a few days ago and Galllette is supposed to practice this week so Smith was only starting option. As for "consistent run stopper", he ended 2012 with a -23.4 PFF run block grade, that puts him also 108 out of 109 with only Derek Wolfe of Broncos with -24.2 grade the only player grading lower than him. In contrast, arranged by rush grade, Gallette is 15 out 109 and Martez Wilson was 29 of 109.

#7 Bodybag

Bodybag

100% woman-proof

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:42 PM

I know the impulse to dog pile on a Saints fan over here is tempting, and I'm sure it's all the more maddening when the fan in question is Big A, but you should maybe make sure you're not completely and stupidly wrong about something before you submit it as factual. Will Smith is the longest tenured and most well compensated player on the Saints defense. Those are his two big stats. sacks are below fines and suspensions on the other end of the spectrum. Now you know, because I fuging told you so.

#8 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,095 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:50 PM

wilson starting or getting a majority of the snaps was almost a given. still when you're trying to raise a shipwrecked last-place defense from the murky depths you want veteran leadership and depth, and wilson provided that. losing him may not hurt as bad as we wanted it to, but it damn well hurts you more than you want it to.

#9 BlanksKarma

BlanksKarma

Falcons Loser

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:52 PM

I know the impulse to dog pile on a Saints fan over here is tempting, and I'm sure it's all the more maddening when the fan in question is Big A, but you should maybe make sure you're not completely and stupidly wrong about something before you submit it as factual. Will Smith is the longest tenured and most well compensated player on the Saints defense. Those are his two big stats. sacks are below fines and suspensions on the other end of the spectrum. Now you know, because I fuging told you so.

This is the smack board, take your facts back to RC. 

#10 Bodybag

Bodybag

100% woman-proof

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

wilson starting or getting a majority of the snaps was almost a given. still when you're trying to raise a shipwrecked last-place defense from the murky depths you want veteran leadership and depth, and wilson provided that. losing him may not hurt as bad as we wanted it to, but it damn well hurts you more than you want it to.

Did you mean "Smith" instead of saying Wilson the second time? You make it sound like we lost Wilson twice (PSH he's already injured).

And sure, Smith provided veteran leadership, not to mention there was a report just the other day that his transition was yielding progress. Yay! But however badly we needed him doesn't give a buff to his production in years past, so let's please stop overstating his contribution and be serious, gang. His edge rushing skills have waned steadily and I'm pretty sure before we lost him every rival would readily agree his fit at OLB was tenuous at best. There are other LBs yet to take the field that we have high hopes for, but one of the guys getting torched so far in PS has definitely been Smith.

It's just another bad break, that's all. If it makes you guys happy, they're starting to add up.

#11 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,095 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

yeah i meant smith

#12 RelaxImaPro

RelaxImaPro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,615 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

he's incredibly fast and put up great numbers last year

Numbers so great he had a team-high 19 tackles.

#13 RelaxImaPro

RelaxImaPro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,615 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

That's a little over a tackle per game!  You might be right, that Saints defense definitely could be improving!

#14 Keep Pounding

Keep Pounding

Smith & Wesson 460

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationIn your backyard!!!!

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

Best pass rusher!? Check your stats!

This is from the 109 guys that played any snaps at DE in 2012:

Ranked 19th of 109 - Junior Gallette played 301 snaps had 5 sacks 25 QB pressures 13 tackles 1 asst 13 stops

Ranked 33rd of 109 - Martez Wilson played 203 snaps had 2 sacks and 16 QB pressures 5 tackles 8 asst 5 stops

Ranked 69th of 109 - Cameron Jordan played 1059 snaps had 8 sacks and 39 pressures 51tackles 12 assts 42 stops

Ranked 82nd of 109 - Turk McBride played 141 snaps had 0 sacks and 9 pressures 8 tackles 1asst and 7 stops

Ranked 108 of 109 - WILL SMITH played 1007 snaps had 4 sacks and 30 pressures 33 tackles 14 assts 23 stops

Tell me again who was the best rusher for Saints?

That is like saying what taste better, this pile of poo or this pile of poo with some whip creme.

#15 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,518 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:18 PM

Alice knows his poo about ugly ass over priced man purses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com