Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Syria--To Bomb or Not To Bomb

295 posts in this topic

Posted

I supported the admin irt Libya and more than likely I will support this move as well.  In this case, its probably the right thing to do. 

There are times we should get involved and times we shouldn't. We just need to get better at choosing when to get involved.   Although its a lot easier to pick and choose in hindsight. 

Posted

Find one person in this thread who agrees who our ally is in the region is.

That won't even happen.

I think most would agree that Turkey is an ally since we have a treaty with them (They are a member of NATO). 

1 person likes this

Posted

I think most would agree that Turkey is an ally since we have a treaty with them (They are a member of NATO). 

As is Saudi Arabia, technically. They were a founding member of the UN and also the recipient of the largest arms deal in US history, totaling over 60 billion, in 2010. All this despite that 15 out of 19 of the 9/11 "terrorists" were Saudi nationals and that Saudi Wahabism is widely viewed to the the root of Islamist extremism. 

But you know, money and such. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Its all just building up to invade Iran.  Have to make sure your back is safe before you do it though. 

Posted

As is Saudi Arabia, technically. They were a founding member of the UN and also the recipient of the largest arms deal in US history, totaling over 60 billion, in 2010. All this despite that 15 out of 19 of the 9/11 "terrorists" were Saudi nationals and that Saudi Wahabism is widely viewed to the the root of Islamist extremism. 

But you know, money and such. 

We actually have a treaty with Turkey (NATO) approved by the Senate, that says we will come to their aid if they are attacked by another country.  We have no such treaty with Saudi Arabia.  And if we did, the fact that 19 of their citizens decide on their own to commit a criminal act would not affect that treat in any way.  

Posted

We actually have a treaty with Turkey (NATO) approved by the Senate, that says we will come to their aid if they are attacked by another country.  We have no such treaty with Saudi Arabia.  And if we did, the fact that 19 of their citizens decide on their own to commit a criminal act would not affect that treat in any way.  

Don't we have a military alliance?  SA, UAB, Kuwait, Qatar, etc...

Posted

Don't we have a military alliance?  SA, UAB, Kuwait, Qatar, etc...

But nothing like Turkey.  You can say Turkey is one of our truest allies over there. 

Posted

We actually signed a mutual defense agreement in 1951 with Saudi Arabia and it's why we have a base inside their country (though technically it's a "US Training Mission"). Nice try though. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm not sure why, with all the bitching from every corner of the planet about the US "interfering" in the middle east, we would get involved in this at all.

I get the humanitarian issues, but how the fug is bombing them going to aid in that???

Simple, leveling the playing field. But the problem arises, just like in afghanistan and iraq, once we topple it down, we get too involved in trying to rebuild. Thats when the costs arise and the lives start to stack up. I don't want to fight in war thats more twisted than either iraq and afghanistan combined. Its a death trap for anyone trying to get involved. 

3 people like this

Posted

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrodollar_warfare - That was the term I was trying to remember yesterday.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_hegemony

"....Put a McDonalds on every fugin' corner. If we gotta blow up the corner, then build the McDonalds- so be it."

petro dollar was what I thought was the underlying reason for Iraq but the broader reason being Iraq could become a fulcrum for the ME to swing.

maybe the current ME is the unintended consequence or perhaps intended of the 2nd invasion. who knows?

Posted

sure i have zero evidence

Posted

yep. sometimes you have to be bold and have balls and not be afraid to either be wrong or go where nobody else goes.

stay scared goodwill hunting and never stick your neck out for anything.