• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

#91 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,523 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

Don't we have a military alliance?  SA, UAB, Kuwait, Qatar, etc...

But nothing like Turkey.  You can say Turkey is one of our truest allies over there. 

#92 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,615 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

We actually have a treaty with Turkey (NATO) approved by the Senate, that says we will come to their aid if they are attacked by another country.  We have no such treaty with Saudi Arabia.  And if we did, the fact that 19 of their citizens decide on their own to commit a criminal act would not affect that treat in any way.  

We actually signed a mutual defense agreement in 1951 with Saudi Arabia and it's why we have a base inside their country (though technically it's a "US Training Mission"). Nice try though. 

#93 P.I.A

P.I.A

• ALL-PRO
  • 511 posts
  • LocationFinally Home!

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

I'm not sure why, with all the bitching from every corner of the planet about the US "interfering" in the middle east, we would get involved in this at all.

I get the humanitarian issues, but how the fug is bombing them going to aid in that???

Simple, leveling the playing field. But the problem arises, just like in afghanistan and iraq, once we topple it down, we get too involved in trying to rebuild. Thats when the costs arise and the lives start to stack up. I don't want to fight in war thats more twisted than either iraq and afghanistan combined. Its a death trap for anyone trying to get involved. 

#94 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,190 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

http://en.wikipedia....odollar_warfare - That was the term I was trying to remember yesterday.  

http://en.wikipedia....Dollar_hegemony

"....Put a McDonalds on every fugin' corner. If we gotta blow up the corner, then build the McDonalds- so be it."

petro dollar was what I thought was the underlying reason for Iraq but the broader reason being Iraq could become a fulcrum for the ME to swing.

maybe the current ME is the unintended consequence or perhaps intended of the 2nd invasion. who knows?

#95 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

sure i have zero evidence

#96 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,190 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:14 PM

yep. sometimes you have to be bold and have balls and not be afraid to either be wrong or go where nobody else goes.

stay scared goodwill hunting and never stick your neck out for anything.

#97 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,637 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

Don't we have a military alliance?  SA, UAB, Kuwait, Qatar, etc...

No, not anything as official as NATO.  We have some less formal agreements, memorandums of understanding, exchange of bases, but no Senate approved treaties.

#98 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,637 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

We actually signed a mutual defense agreement in 1951 with Saudi Arabia and it's why we have a base inside their country (though technically it's a "US Training Mission"). Nice try though. 

There is a formal arrangement , but we have those with a lot of countries, They are a far cry from NATO. 

Here is a list of all treaties regarding defense with Saudi Arabia that were in effect as of 1 Jan 2012.

See also ECONOMIC AND TECHNICAL COOPERATION
SAUDI ARABIA — DEFENSE ^

Agreement relating to the extending of procurement assistance to Saudi Arabia for the transfer of military supplies and equipment.
Exchange of notes at Jidda June 18, 1951.
Entered into force June 18, 1951.
2 UST 1460; TIAS 2289; 141 UNTS 67.

SAUDI ARABIA — DEFENSE ^

Agreement providing for a military assistance advisory group.*
Exchange of notes at Jidda June 27, 1953.
Entered into force June 27, 1953.
4 UST 1482; TIAS 2812; 212 UNTS 335.
Note
* Terminated February 27, 1977, except that the provisions of paragraph 7 remain in force in respect of activities under the agreement of February 8 and 27, 1977 (28 UST 2409; TIAS 8558). See MISSIONS, MILITARY.

SAUDI ARABIA — DEFENSE ^

Agreement for the loan of F-86 aircraft to Saudi Arabia.*
Exchange of notes at Jidda
November 10 and 13, 1962.
Entered into force November 13, 1962.
14 UST 1181; TIAS 5414; 488 UNTS 175.
Amendment
May 1 and 22, 1963 (14 UST 1184; TIAS 5414; 488 UNTS 180).
Note
* Paragraph 1, first sentence of paragraph 5, and paragraphs 7 and 8 terminated by agreement of May 16 and November 11, 1965 (17 UST 1390; TIAS 6095).

SAUDI ARABIA — DEFENSE ^

Agreement relating to the transfer of F-86
aircraft to Saudi Arabia.
May 16 and November 11, 1965.
Entered into force November 11, 1965.
17 UST 1390; TIAS 6095.

SAUDI ARABIA — DEFENSE ^

Agreement on privileges and immunities for United States personnel engaged in the training program for the maintenance and operation of F-5 aircraft in Saudi Arabia.
Exchange of notes at Jidda April 4 and July 5, 1972. Entered into force July 5, 1972.
23 UST 1469; TIAS 7425.

Agreement relating to the deposit by Saudi Arabia of ten percent of the value of grant military assistance provided by the United States.
April 11, April 19, and May 15, 1972.
Entered into force May 15, 1972.
23 UST 2664; TIAS 7459.

SAUDI ARABIA — DEFENSE ^

Memorandum of understanding concerning the Saudi Arabian National Guard modernization program.
Signed at Jidda March 19, 1973.
Entered into force March 19, 1973.
24 UST 1106; TIAS 7634.

#99 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:53 PM

President Obama drew a line in the sand and the Syrian government crossed that line. 

He has to react in some way or lose credibility in the region. 

But does his response have to be military action?

#100 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,637 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:28 PM

President Obama drew a line in the sand and the Syrian government crossed that line. 

He has to react in some way or lose credibility in the region. 

But does his response have to be military action?

I guess we could try rainbows, smiles and loving them into submission.  :)

The Russians are going to veto any sanctions, and would likely ignore them anyway.  So I am not sure what other options we could try.

One option that might become available in the not so distant future are weapons that don't explode, kill or maim, but knock out command control and communications.  That type of weapon would be idea for this situation, but I don't think it has been developed yet, not enough to use at any rate. 

I have wondered what might happen if England, France, the US and Russia and China just offered Assad 1 Billion dollars to pack up and leave and go live on an Island somewhere.  It would be interesting to see if he would accept.   

#101 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,793 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:08 PM

in the end nothing will happen and Obama will make the US look like a bunch of pussies...

good job Obama.

thanks to all who voted in this community activist, no matter what happens we look bad...

#102 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:11 AM

no matter what happens we look bad...

Well, being a resident of the palmetto state, you should be used to that by now.

My sincere condolences, here is some soothing music to make life a little more copasetic.

#103 P.I.A

P.I.A

• ALL-PRO
  • 511 posts
  • LocationFinally Home!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

Well, being a resident of the palmetto state, you should be used to that by now.

My sincere condolences, here is some soothing music to make life a little more copasetic.

that was quite soothing.

#104 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,400 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

I hear Obama's going to deliver an address on this. 

"ooo.....you make me sooo angry"

#105 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,436 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

Looks like Russia sending their Naval fleet of destroyers to Mediterranean Sea. poo is getting real.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com