Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

With Kickoff less than 2 weeks away, we can take a moment to look ahead...

22 posts in this topic

Posted

Cam is up for an extension after this season as well, correct? I think this could be Hardy's last year with the team.  Especially with this coaching staff, we seem to have a knack for finding and developing DEs, and I'm ok with going with Johnson/Alexander/Addison/Draft Pick next season.  I just don't think we have the money for both CJ and Hardy to have top 5 DE contracts along with paying Cam and (season after next) Luke market value.  And IMO, Cam = Luke >> Hardy in terms of impact/importance to the team.

Posted

thx for the buzzkill. :(

1 person likes this

Posted

Cam is up for an extension after this season as well, correct? I think this could be Hardy's last year with the team.  Especially with this coaching staff, we seem to have a knack for finding and developing DEs, and I'm ok with going with Johnson/Alexander/Addison/Draft Pick next season.  I just don't think we have the money for both CJ and Hardy to have top 5 DE contracts along with paying Cam and (season after next) Luke market value.  And IMO, Cam = Luke >> Hardy in terms of impact/importance to the team.

Not exactly on Cam.

Cam will be going into year 4 and the Panthers have a 5th year option.

I "THINK" they can start negotiating a new deal either during or after year 4, but I'm not 100% sure.

Cam is likely at least a season from a new contract, if not 2.

Posted

Not exactly on Cam.

Cam will be going into year 4 and the Panthers have a 5th year option.

I "THINK" they can start negotiating a new deal either during or after year 4, but I'm not 100% sure.

Cam is likely at least a season from a new contract, if not 2.

Newton can start negotiating after this season

1 person likes this

Posted

ray of sunshine...

edit - thanks for the nice write up.

Posted

thx for the buzzkill. :(

No need to be sad.

Some really smart things have been done.

I can go over DWill's and Stew's contract if you wish, that will make you sad.

Posted

We need to learn from the Ravens mistake and resign Cam before we get stuck cutting everybody just to sign him.

Posted

Newton can start negotiating after this season

Yeah, that's what I thought:

Further, there are no renegotiations of rookie contracts until after a player's third year, removing any holdout possibilities for a high-performing young player before his fourth year. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7929748/nfl-bad-time-rookie

1 person likes this

Posted

First of all if Newton does get it a new contract it will be very cap friendly in year 1 and 2 so it likely won't be more than we will spend next year on him and potentially will be less. Hardy surely won't get a Charles Johnson contract next year no matter what he does.  With a flat cap next year, there will be tons of free agents pressing salaries down and making guys choose shorter contracts.

As for Godfrey, if all we save is 2 million assuming he plays well, we will resign him likely to a more cap friendly contract.

What we haven't discussed is all the guys we can pick up who might be upgrades given the glut of guys who will be free agents in 2014.

Posted

First of all if Newton does get it a new contract it will be very cap friendly in year 1 and 2 so it likely won't be more than we will spend next year on him and potentially will be less. Hardy surely won't get a Charles Johnson contract next year no matter what he does.  With a flat cap next year, there will be tons of free agents pressing salaries down and making guys choose shorter contracts.

As for Godfrey, if all we save is 2 million assuming he plays well, we will resign him likely to a more cap friendly contract.

What we haven't discussed is all the guys we can pick up who might be upgrades given the glut of guys who will be free agents in 2014.

That's on my todo list.

Hate to do that so early in the season.

2 people like this

Posted

Good write up Kurb.

Secondary and O line are going to be tough to fix, with WR right after that.

We have been holding the line and WR corps together with duct tape recently.