Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Handling of a Franchise Quarterback

213 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

First off, this isnt a thread on Cam's abilities or perceived lack of skills in certain areas. This is about how you view the organization has handle having a franchise level QB. 

In my personal opinion, i dont think we have handle having one very well. 

When you look at most of the recent teams with franchise level qbs, the teams have tried to build around them. Look at the drafts and moves for the Colts, Redskins and Seahawks. They either tried to provide weapons or protection for their qbs or already had established them on the team. 

I havent seen that from this team yet. Its almost as if they expect Cam to make up for the shortcomings of this team on offense. He has for the most part, but i think he will need some help eventually.

What is your opinion on how we have handled having a franchise QB so far? 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I think next year is the year we go heavy on offense in the draft.  I'm expecting no less than 2 OL's in the first three rounds.

Posted · Report post

They built him a good offense 2 seasons ago, and now while they were trying to fix the defense so that the team can win some games, the offense became mediocre.

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

look at the OL.

look at the offensive skill players drafted since cam was drafted.

then look at what was done for keek in front of him.

we are in the process of extending hardy and we have gone cheap with the OL.

gettleman hasn't done enough to help the offense. the org. didn't do enough prior to gettleman getting here. we had two big TEs once upon a time and we replaced him with another RB that we labeled a FB because he was heavy .

the team made a decision between building up the offense and the defense and they have chosen defense as the priority and offense as the afterthought. 

you hire a defensive guy as a coach and that's what happens.

5 people like this

Posted · Report post

Yeah we haven't helped him the way we should.  I almost feel like Gettleman sees this season as a wash and was getting defensive players, probably expects to axe Rivera, hire his own coach, and go offense next season.  I hope not though.

Posted · Report post

They are debating right now on WFNZ if Cam is even a franchise QB yet. I contend that he is and that we need to do more to support his side of the ball.
4 people like this

Posted · Report post

look at the OL.

look at the offensive skill players drafted since cam was drafted.

then look at what was done for keek in front of him.

we are in the process of extending hardy and we have gone cheap with the OL.

gettleman hasn't done enough to help the offense. the org. didn't do enough prior to gettleman getting here. we had two big TEs once upon a time and we replaced him with another RB that we labeled a FB because he was heavy .

the team made a decision between building up the offense and the defense and they have chosen defense as the priority and offense as the afterthought. 

you hire a defensive guy as a coach and that's what happens.

this is my point. as a franchise with a franchise level qb wouldnt it make sense to give said qb everything possible and build around him? i love me some keek, but you dont win superbowls by having the best mlb in the game. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

i hope offense is the priority next year, but look at the hole we've dug.

gross and wharton are only signed for this year and unless they are re-signed that leaves kalil as the only OL worth a crap. 

and steve smith is the only WR under contract for next year.

so we are essentially left with kalil, silatolu, kugbilla, bell, and garry williams (i suppose) on the OL and steve smith as the WR. that's a whole lot of holes to fill.

Posted · Report post

Maybe we could have done more but we have drafted o-line and offensive skill players in each of the last two drafts (unfortunately some of those picks have not worked out), we went out and got Greg Olsen, and I don't believe that Smith, Lafell, Dwill, J-stew are all scrubs.

Our offense has been top 10 in TDs per drive the last two seasons and our offense has been better than most of those other QBs.

Our defense on the other hand had not been as successful until later last season, and even then it had more holes than our offense.

We do need O-line help. If the play of our o-line continues to struggle I am sure that will be addressed in the next draft.

But in terms of player personnel I think we have handled him fine.
3 people like this

Posted · Report post

its a shame too, because we are now behind in helping him develop. this is year 3 for Cam and we havent got him a solid line and a real #2 wr or a consistent running game not involving him. 

Posted · Report post

@OP

You brought up a great point. 

Because one could sure question the previous GM, and current coaches ability to help this QB get to the next level. 

Nonetheless, when the season starts, I think the offense will surprise, because of said QB, and how he effects it. 

But yes; it appears more could have been done, despite the holes on defense in 2011, early 2012. 

Posted · Report post

Double