Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,788 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

DeAngelo Williams can take the ball and run with it

Carolina Panthers running back DeAngelo Williams spent the past two seasons looking for more carries.

Williams should get them this year.

Williams became an expensive complementary piece in two seasons with former offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski, now the coach in Cleveland. He was benched last season before Stewart was hurt, and watched Cam Newton become the first quarterback to lead his team in rushing since Donovan McNabb in 2000.

But Williams will get the bulk of the work with Stewart out. In an exhibition loss to Philadelphia two weeks ago, Williams had 12 first-half carries for 39 yards before sitting out the second half.

Person seems to believe we'll see the Panthers use Williams more like a "feature back" with Stewart out.

Agree of disagree with Person's take?

Agree or disagree with the idea?

#2 UNCrules2187

UNCrules2187

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

I think it's true. We've been giving DeAngelo a steady dose of carries in the preseason. He had, what, 12 in a half vs the Eagles? Provided he stays healthy, I think DeAngelo will get at least 250 carries this season.

#3 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,788 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

If he's right, we'd be using Williams similar to the way the Vikes use Adrian Peterson, at least for the first six games until Stewart comes back.

(and to be clear, Stewart coming back this season is not something I'm taking as a given) :(

#4 SooSlow84

SooSlow84

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  • LocationYour mother's basement

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

Dwill: feature back
Poole: backup
Barner: scat back, certain plays

I'd like this.

#5 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,296 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

We have no choice but to give him more carries...

But I don't see how he suddenly is going to look like a different RB than he did in 2012 and 2011. He just doesn't fit what we do as well as I would like....have to put to put up with a lot of non impressive stuff to get that occaasional big run.

I hope Tolbert gets a bigger role...almost what we would have given Stewart

#6 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,788 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

A load of things depend on what happens with the OL before week one.

#7 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,727 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:57 AM

he is built for more of a traditional offense, or thats how it seems he was more effective(08 and 09).  we dont have a traditional offense QB and it has shown this preseason, or at least how I see it.  Person is a tool and what he just said was already said a couple months ago, not thread worthy.

#8 UNCrules2187

UNCrules2187

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

We have no choice but to give him more carries...

But I don't see how he suddenly is going to look like a different RB than he did in 2012 and 2011. He just doesn't fit what we do as well as I would like....have to put to put up with a lot of non impressive stuff to get that occaasional big run.

I hope Tolbert gets a bigger role...almost what we would have given Stewart

In 2011, he had only 155 carries, but for 836 yards (5.4ypc) and 7 TDs. Don't see why he can't replicate that type of performance...I'm sure his ypc will go down just by increasing his carry count, but I don't see why he can't average at least 4.0 ypc (his lowest ever ypc average was last year, and even then it was 4.1).

I think if D-Will gets at least 250 carries this year, he will be a 1,000 yd back again...

#9 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

Won't matter who's playing RB if our OL can't open up any holes. Feel better about the left side though

#10 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• HUDDLER
  • 5,437 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:06 AM

when has carolina not used williams or stewart as a featured back when one or the other is out?

#11 countryboi

countryboi

• HUDDLER
  • 2,385 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC born and raised

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

I am expecting d-will to share carries with Tolbert.....on a 75/25 basis

#12 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:08 AM

Would like to see Tolbert get more carries this year.  He has experience carrying the load and is the only proven power runner now that Stewart is is out for awhile.  With the Panthers porous O-Line, getting a power back in there to tire out the defense early in the game could open holes for the shiftier backs like Williams and Barner.

#13 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,393 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:09 AM

Person speculating...

'Nuff said

#14 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • LocationKitchen

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:15 AM

Although person is an idiot I agree we use Williams primarily but I think we need to stick barner in as the 3rd down back because of the speed mismatch. Tolbert can come in on short plays.

#15 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,296 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

In 2011, he had only 155 carries, but for 836 yards (5.4ypc) and 7 TDs. Don't see why he can't replicate that type of performance...I'm sure his ypc will go down just by increasing his carry count, but I don't see why he can't average at least 4.0 ypc (his lowest ever ypc average was last year, and even then it was 4.1).

I think if D-Will gets at least 250 carries this year, he will be a 1,000 yd back again...

His final season stat sheet hasn't looked that bad....but I just don't think he is that effective in our new O.

I know it isn't the gospel but there is a reason why PFF will study both seasons and Williams grades out negative and Stewart positive in both 2011 and 2012 despite the end of the year stat sheet saying the same.

He seems to go nowhere to often. The big runs even out his stats but it is all the stalled drives and runs to nowhere that hurt us moving

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com