#31 SooSlow84

SooSlow84

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationYour mother's basement

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Panthers have always carried 3 QBs on their roster and Gettleman did so in New York as well. In this day and age of injuries to QBs, why risk having only 2 available on game day?

Gettlemen has usually rolled with only two to my knowledge.

We have only had two available on game day since drafting cam. Clausen was not an active player during any of those games and despite what some think he would not be able to play in the game if cam and DA were to go down. So no need really for a third qb. Designate someone as an emergency qb and roll with two on the roster and either one on the practice squad or sign a FA if one gets injured.

#32 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,632 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

If you need a quarterback really bad, we have a really bad quarterback.

:lol:

#33 catnip

catnip

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

The Panthers don't have a need for 3 QBs. If Clausen beats out Anderson thats OK.  Neither is our future starter. Now that Armanti seems to have made the team, he could serve as our 3rd QB until we picked up a vet if needed.

#34 redbuddha

redbuddha

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • LocationCentral Alabama

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

Passing Rushing Fumbles
Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck Rate Att Yds Avg TD Fum Lost
2005 BAL 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2005 CLE 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2006 CLE 5 3 66 117 56.4 793 6.8 5 8 8 63.1 4 47 11.8 0 2 1
2007 CLE 16 15 298 527 56.5 3,787 7.2 29 19 14 82.5 32 70 2.2 3 5 2
2008 CLE 10 9 142 283 50.2 1,615 5.7 9 8 14 66.5 25 55 2.2 0 9 2
2009 CLE 8 7 81 182 44.5 888 4.9 3 10 11 42.1 10 8 0.8 2 5 3
2010 ARI 12 9 169 327 51.7 2,065 6.3 7 10 25 65.9 5 25 5 0 6 3

Except for one season DA hasn't been that effective.

#35 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 16,811 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

I think he'd be a decent option for Reid's Cheifs.

As long as he isn't here, I don't care where he goes!

#36 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

I know his skill set is way better suited to it.

Weis ran an Earhardt-Perkins system at Notre Dame. Not WCO technically, but closer than the base Coryell we run.

Not much closer.  Tom Brady notwithstanding, it's smash-mouth football with a lot of play action.

I'm not saying that his skill set isn't suited for it, but he's never shown me a talent for short timing routes, and he has shown an ability to throw a deep ball (even if there is a lot of air under it).  So given that, I guess my thought here is that it's not too likely Clausen, a product of down-field offenses (Coryell and E-P) would look to join a WCO team.  Nor would a WCO team be looking his way necessarily. 

If that's the case, then the Jets won't be interested.  If I were him, I would be asking my agent to call Buffalo, Jacksonville, and *shudder* Oakland.  I can't think of any other team that's a real candidate, although being the backup in Arizona could net some playing time this year when Palmer gets hurt.

#37 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 44,759 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:22 PM

Not much closer.  Tom Brady notwithstanding, it's smash-mouth football with a lot of play action.

I'm not saying that his skill set isn't suited for it, but he's never shown me a talent for short timing routes, and he has shown an ability to throw a deep ball (even if there is a lot of air under it).  So given that, I guess my thought here is that it's not too likely Clausen, a product of down-field offenses (Coryell and E-P) would look to join a WCO team.  Nor would a WCO team be looking his way necessarily. 

If that's the case, then the Jets won't be interested.  If I were him, I would be asking my agent to call Buffalo, Jacksonville, and *shudder* Oakland.  I can't think of any other team that's a real candidate, although being the backup in Arizona could net some playing time this year when Palmer gets hurt.

Wow, are we playing them again this year ?

thug-life.gif

#38 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 11,412 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

I have a feeling he'll have a future in hollywood. He would be perfect on one of those teen disney shows

Sent from my SCH-I545 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#39 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• HUDDLER
  • 12,011 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:37 PM

DA has more trade value then Clausen, Buffalo would love to have DA start week 1 then what they have now

#40 Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas

So you're telling me there's a chance....

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • LocationAspin, Colorado

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

Clausens contract is practically guaranteed in full.
He has a million dollar cap hit regardless if he's on the roster or not.

Derek Anderson has a bit above a million dollar cap hit and its not guaranteed at all. Trade DA to the browns for a 7th or cut him and roll with clausen this year to save a million dollars in cap.

I realize I'm probably alone in this opinion but DA has looked horrible so far this year and clausen has looked good.

Agreed. Its pointless to keep 3 QB's. If Cam goes down, we're screwed, no matter who the backup is. Cut/trade DA, keep Jimmy and pray that Cam survives.

#41 Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas

So you're telling me there's a chance....

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • LocationAspin, Colorado

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Panthers have always carried 3 QBs on their roster and Gettleman did so in New York as well. In this day and age of injuries to QBs, why risk having only 2 available on game day?

AE can "fill in" as a third QB. No need to keep both DA and JC.

#42 CPcavedweller

CPcavedweller

• HUDDLER
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

Because we have Armanti, who with our offensive line would be much more serviceable than Clausen. If the holes are still there in the oline we need a more mobile quarter than Pickles. I cringe when he steps up in the pocket right into offensive lineman. Edwards could serve as an emergency QB while not taking up a roster spot. When was the last time the top 2 QBs went down for any other team?

#43 Rules&Regulations

Rules&Regulations

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

You mean to tell me that his future isn't as the Panthers star and greatest QB of all time? Has anybody told Mel Kiper yet?

#44 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,632 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

Not much closer. Tom Brady notwithstanding, it's smash-mouth football with a lot of play action.

I'm not saying that his skill set isn't suited for it, but he's never shown me a talent for short timing routes, and he has shown an ability to throw a deep ball (even if there is a lot of air under it). So given that, I guess my thought here is that it's not too likely Clausen, a product of down-field offenses (Coryell and E-P) would look to join a WCO team. Nor would a WCO team be looking his way necessarily.

If that's the case, then the Jets won't be interested. If I were him, I would be asking my agent to call Buffalo, Jacksonville, and *shudder* Oakland. I can't think of any other team that's a real candidate, although being the backup in Arizona could net some playing time this year when Palmer gets hurt.

Granted all of Clausen's pro experience is with a longball team, but realistically, he hasn't looked that good.

Someone else mentioned Andy Reid's Chiefs. I'd agree with that as a good destination for him.

(man, it's still weird talking about Andy Reid coaching somewhere other than Philly)

#45 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,632 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

Here's a fun thought...

The Giants have had what you could term a 'good cop/bad cop' rotation at quarterback with Eli Manning as the starter and David Carr as the backup.

Wonder if Gettleman would be tempted to follow that model, release Derek Anderson and go into the season with Newton and Clausen one and two :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.