Photo
- - - - -

Smith Fined ; Kuechly Not

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#16 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

What I hate is that the NFL fines Armond Smith the same amount it would have fined Charles Johnson.  I think fines should be based on a small percentage of the player's salary.

For Smith, if he is cut, $15 K could be a large percentage of the man's salary.

If he's cut and doesn't get picked up by another team, he doesn't have to pay the fine. It's not like it's the IRS and they are going to come seize his car against the amount owed. He would only have to pay the fine if he ever reenters the league with another team and makes a roster. 

#17 RufftownRepresent

RufftownRepresent

Formerly Know As Ruff

HUDDLER

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:14 PM

I'm glad Kuechly didn't get fined, he didn't deserve to.

#18 MHS831

MHS831

HUDDLER

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

If he's cut and doesn't get picked up by another team, he doesn't have to pay the fine. It's not like it's the IRS and they are going to come seize his car against the amount owed. He would only have to pay the fine if he ever reenters the league with another team and makes a roster. 

I thought he would have to pay it if he wanted another team to pick him up.  Regardless, fining CJ $15k is like you or I getting a parking ticket.  Sucks, but we pay it and move on.  However, to Smith, that is about 3% of his gross salary.   Not too fair.  I think a fine should be based on a percentage of 1% of a players' salary.

#19 Rook35200

Rook35200

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

that's a lot of money for armond smith

This is one of my problems with the NFL and Roger Goddell. I wonder who decides how much a fine is going to be. I know Armond Smith was wrong in this situation but he barely kicked him. Cam's kick against the raiders last year was worst than that and Cam didn't get fined

#20 Rook35200

Rook35200

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

I thought he would have to pay it if he wanted another team to pick him up.  Regardless, fining CJ $15k is like you or I getting a parking ticket.  Sucks, but we pay it and move on.  However, to Smith, that is about 3% of his gross salary.   Not too fair.  I think a fine should be based on a percentage of 1% of a players' salary.

I was thinking this too, until I started thinking about the the other side of the argument. If you fine players based on a percentage of their income I believe the lower earning players will be more inclined to take shots at other players. I'm not saying that this is likely to happen, but look at it this way. What if you were a millionaire and made about 100K a month, and I made $5 an hour. We both parked in "No Parking" Zones in the same area and got tickets. Since I make $5 per hour my ticket was written for $40 (roughly one day's pay). Since you make 100k a month your ticket costs you $3500 (roughly one days pay. Is that fair to do just because I make less money?

#21 PantherGuy

PantherGuy

SUPPORTER

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

dude should know better than that.

flat out dumb...mainly because of consequences like this.

Exactly. I kinda bad feel for Armond getting fined 15k as a fringe player, but you just can't kick someone in the nuts.

#22 Borat

Borat

Very Nice, I Like!

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:43 PM

Semi-related, but from RR's latest column (http://espn.go.com/n...-#nflrank-lists)

Panthers LB Luke Kuechly clear down at 22? That's a crime and should be punishable by every member of The Senile 63 getting cable. The kid is a monster. He plays like he's triplets. He's a top-10 defensive player or the poll should be dissembled, boxed up and dropped into Lake Erie.

#23 SgtJoo

SgtJoo

Reppin that Bull City

SUPPORTER

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

It's bullshit Smith gets automatically ejected for kicking a guy when Brady does the same thing (worse imo) and stays in the game.

Bitch kick by Smith, don't get me wrong. But still...

#24 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

HUDDLER

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:33 PM

Stupid is as stupid does...

#25 RelaxImaPro

RelaxImaPro

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:22 PM

Semi-related, but from RR's latest column (http://espn.go.com/n...-#nflrank-lists)

Yeah, we all kinda' knew that thing was a joke as soon as Cam popped up at #100... in a list ranking the top 100 offensive players.

Lol, okay.  The guy who has generated more offense in his first two years than any other player in NFL history is at the very bottom of the top offensive player rankings while RG3, Luck, Kaepernick, and Wilson are listed over 50 spots higher.

Seems legit.

#26 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

SUPPORTER

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:13 PM

What I hate is that the NFL fines Armond Smith the same amount it would have fined Charles Johnson.  I think fines should be based on a small percentage of the player's salary.

For Smith, if he is cut, $15 K could be a large percentage of the man's salary.

Maybe. This might also lead to bruisers as in hockey. Send in the low paid guy on the next kickoff and tell him to spear someone in the nuts.

Which sounds awesome actually.

#27 O-Ther

O-Ther

Well done > well said

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:07 AM

Not gonna lie, saw the thread title & thought "Aw hell, what did Smitty do now?"

#28 frash.exe

frash.exe

Freddy Frashbear

HUDDLER

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:17 AM

that's a lot of money for armond smith

Not as much as the roster spot he's probably going to lose because of this