Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do The Post-Cut Positional Numbers Mean a Shift in Philosophy?

26 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

4 RBs

Williams

Tolbert

Barner

Smith

Stewart would be the 4th if off PUP and Smith gone

My point being Stewart factored into the numbers whether he was active or not, so by keeping Smith, we technically kept 5.

Posted · Report post

Brockel mainly plays FB on GL blocking plays and such, so he basically counts as a FB since that's where they list him now position wise. 

Posted · Report post

This party is not over ...we will see some moves soon I would imagine.I think we will see a couple of things...The first is back filling for special team value and the 2nd is upgrading our depth . I could see him bringing in maybe 1 or 2 starters at the most if the need and value are there.

Posted · Report post

I think they're keeping some of the guys in positions of strength for potential trade leverage.

Several teams are RB hungry, same with CB's.

You could also point to a shift in personnel best suited for ST play?

Posted · Report post

We kept a lot of people because of versatility. A. Smith, Jones, White, Senn, Brockel, Addison, Naka, D.J. Moore, and Blackburn. We drafted that way late as well. Klein and Barner.

Posted · Report post

Agree with previous posters that the bottom of the depth chart is generally for special teams, so at that point a 4th HB, 6th WR, 6th CB etc. essentially play the same in-game positions if they are active.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

My point being Stewart factored into the numbers whether he was active or not, so by keeping Smith, we technically kept 5.

smith is there to keep stewart's seat warm.

Posted · Report post

I am sooooo drunk. You're going to have to make this a, "Choose A or B" for me to give you anything. Before you do, I choose B.

Now, back to being serious, we won't start the season with 5 WR's. This is where the process begins, not ends. Gettleman is no idiot. He is scanning all there is to scan like Sauron in the Lord of the Rings.

Now, back to drinking and the Gettis thread....

I actually think we start the season with five receivers.

Posted · Report post

I definitely do not think we are done. I keep refreshing my sites to see who we pick up from other cuts.  I like the direction though.  The new GM is addressing ALL needs whether it was through draft for FA.  He is not done...

Posted · Report post

I also think folkerts gets let go for a lineman we pick up.

Posted · Report post

I also think folkerts gets let go for a lineman we pick up.

I think they would choose between him and Byers since both backup C.

Posted · Report post

I agree but big difference between coaching Cam vs. the entire offense. Cam is not our offense he is our QB, regardless of his first two years, he'll have to play less a role in some areas for us to actually win some games.

I hope Shula can do it, just have to wait and see.

I mean really all we needed was a few minor tweaks to the offense to make it damn effective, and thats part of why it took off late in the season.  Do a little less out of the shotgun, do a little more under center.  Do a few less read-option plays, do a few more conventional runs.  Last but not least, HAVE CHECKDOWN ROUTES.  I can't tell you how often we'd put Cam in the shotgun on 3rd and 7 and send 3 guys deep and nobody sniffing around the first down marker only to see Cam get sacked 2 seconds later.