Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

What positions are the Saints supposedly lacking in 3-4?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#16 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,135 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:57 PM

did you mean to post this on the saints board?

#17 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 8,883 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

the saints really need a NT for the 3-4, a big fatass to plug up the middle and basically just be someone you can't move or get rid of

in other words, they should sign you

#18 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 8,883 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:13 PM

In all seriousness, there are some guys that could fill in at NT that have been released recently that would be an upgrade for you guys

#19 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

the saints really need a NT for the 3-4, a big fatass to plug up the middle and basically just be someone you can't move or get rid of

or rob ryan?

Sent from my ADR910L using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#20 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:33 PM

I keep reading the same comments on rivals board, but yet nobody can elaborate.

First off, lets get the Will Smith was best player thing out the way. Last year he was worst graded guy on entire team and ranked 108 out of 109 of all 4-3 DE's. the only thing he brought was veteran leadership since he's been with team for a while, but he was last year WORST player on defense. To put it in perspective, Gallette had more sacks and about the same QB pressures in just 460 snaps compared to Smiths 1089 snaps.

Now for the "they don't have 3-4 personnel" statement.

As for personnel, lets break it down. The DBs are not affected by 3-4 or 4-3 and with addition of Vacarro, Greer healthy, P Rob looking decent in preseason, Corey White continuing the improvement streak started last 3 games of last year, and finally Ryan understanding Harper is best used near the line in run support and blitz and not in coverage, the DB group will be fine.

Now for the 3-4 personnel, the front 3 not only have looked solid, we have guys with future breakout status not only playing but in that depth. Cam and Hicks have been great with Bunkley solid in middle with some young raw talent behind them. I don't think with the guys at front 3 anyone would say we don't have good guys up there or lack personnel.

Finally the one glaring weakness is obviously the 4 LBs. Lofton is experienced and pretty solid 3 down LB on inside, but the other guys are question marks with no full time playing and both OLB spending preseason hurt. In limited play Tez and Gallette have both put up great numbers and Gallette has played about half of the snaps last year, but Tez only played a little over 100 snaps of a 1100 snap season, so they are unproven as full year players.

Then Vilmas spot is biggest question mark, is he healthy enough to play after another knee surgery? The good news is Hawthorne is a vet that played great in preseason and can play either inside or outside.

So bottom line, I believe we have the guys for 3-4, yet the LB core is the only question due to lack of playtime and not much depth. On the other hand most defensive plays are in sub packages, so base 3-4 isn't a big alignment anyway, and the play so farchas been really good at most positions,

So name the exact position the Saints don't have to play 3-4?

so the bench from the worst defense in nfl history is being promoted to the starting ranks & you're happy about that? that makes 2 of us. You sure your a saints fan?

#21 Big A

Big A

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,940 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

did you mean to post this on the saints board?

Funny, no matter where I post, when I post, or the subject, there is always one certainty, my resident stalker is there reading and commenting every time. It's cool, I'm used to having the jealous poors hanging on my every word, one of the perks/curses of growing up very wealthy. Don't worry Phil, I'll acknowledge you if I need a drink poured.

#22 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 19,135 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

Funny, no matter where I post, when I post, or the subject, there is always one certainty, my resident stalker is there reading and commenting every time. It's cool, I'm used to having the jealous poors hanging on my every word, one of the perks/curses of growing up very wealthy. Don't worry Phil, I'll acknowledge you if I need a drink poured.

uhh ive been perusing these boards for far longer than your miserable residency here so responding to the tripe you vomit all over the internet isn't outside my daily range of browsing. you're the one farting around on another team's message board to the tune of a thousand posts in about a year erstwhile demanding respect for your awesometacular life

Spoiler

#23 Big A

Big A

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,940 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

Bunkley has been solid at NT and John Jenkins was a beast of raw talent this preseason and looks like he might take Bunkleys job before end of year!

Here is last years grades, I only showed top 1/3 so you won't find FUA on the list, he was 83rd out of 85 graded! Keep on mind this is NT and DT together, so if it was just a list of NT, his rank would be even higher.

But hey great point, forget the guy that graded in top third of all DT and NTs and the raw talent that played great all preseason, take our cast off that was basically worst ranked of all DTs and that will make your line better! LMFAO! Moron! What's next genius, cut Brees and pick up Clausen!? Lol

1185058_207863569375795_1528793205_n.jpg

#24 nickzz

nickzz

o

• HUDDLER
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

saints defense will be complete and utter poo

fact

#25 Keep Pounding

Keep Pounding

Smith & Wesson 460

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationIn your backyard!!!!

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:03 PM

Big A, ranked the OL yall played and rank the OL we played.

Also your DEF looked horrible in the open field vs a quality OL. The positive your 1st team DEF allowed only one TD and 3 FG's, in the 1st half. (that still equates to 32 points in a full game), I know I know its preseason. 

I do think that your DEF will be better,  but I would say finishing 3rd best in the DIV is yall ceiling, injuries, new system and who is on yall schedule will cause Rob Ryan to lose his hair.

But I still see you guys making some noise, Brees is that good.  He only needs the DEF to improve slightly to win a few more games compared to last year, BUT......... Our DIV plays tougher teams then we did last year.

#26 Big A

Big A

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,940 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:06 PM

so the bench from the worst defense in nfl history is being promoted to the starting ranks & you're happy about that? that makes 2 of us. You sure your a saints fan?

By bench I think you mean guys that started part time and were full time starters by end of year? Lets look at the last game of season against those mighty Panthers an see who played their best against them:

Wait how can that horrible NT Bunkley grade so well when we obviously need 83rd ranked FUA (according to rocknrolla)? How are 3 of top 4 grades from these horrible bench players against the unstoppable Panthers!? Stupid stats, when will they understand what panther fans say trumps any actual statistical data and becomes fact!?

1238733_207866299375522_595425269_n.jpg

On look who's worst graded, Will Smith again. Wonder how he ended up worst graded player on Saints for entire season when according to Panthers fans he the best defensive player?

#27 Big A

Big A

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,940 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

Big A, ranked the OL yall played and rank the OL we played.

Also your DEF looked horrible in the open field vs a quality OL. The positive your 1st team DEF allowed only one TD and 3 FG's, in the 1st half. (that still equates to 32 points in a full game), I know I know its preseason.

I do think that your DEF will be better, but I would say finishing 3rd best in the DIV is yall ceiling, injuries, new system and who is on yall schedule will cause Rob Ryan to lose his hair.

But I still see you guys making some noise, Brees is that good. He only needs the DEF to improve slightly to win a few more games compared to last year, BUT......... Our DIV plays tougher teams then we did last year.

Oline ranks:

Saints Preseason Opponents Oline AVG 17th
23rd Raiders
22nd Dolphins
12th KC
10th Texans

Panthers Preseason Opponents Oline AVG 23rd
30th Bears
25th Steelers
19th Eagles
17th Ravens

https://www.profootb...ensive-lines/3/

So you're saying the fact the Saints defense put up more sacks and a lot more QB pressures than Panthers this preseason had something to do with them facing an average Oline rank of 17th while Panthers faced much easier Olines averaging 23rd. Great point, imagine if they had faced the easier Oline Panthers face how many more sacks and pressures they would have racked up!

#28 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 19,135 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

heeeeeeeeeeeere chubby chubby chubby

#29 Mother Grabber

Mother Grabber

Gettlemagic 2.0

• HUDDLER
  • 12,683 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

what part of 'WORST DEFENSE IN NFL HISTORY' are you having trouble understanding?

#30 Big A

Big A

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,940 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:40 PM

Another fact that may be overlooked is the fact Ryan is a pressure type defense with lots of blitzes just like GW with blitzing anywhere from 45% to 60% of the plays. In this preseason, the Saint D ran 17 blitzes total! That's 3, 5, 6, and 3 blitz plays in each of the 4 games for a blitz rate around 7%.

So basically a defense that is built around blitzing more than half of the time spend 93% of the snaps sitting back and playing in base packages. That's basically the defense Spags tried to implement last year that failed, yet they did pretty well this preseason and should be much better with more blitzing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.