Photo
- - - - -

Ron Rivera Press Conference

Best Answer rayzor, 02 September 2013 - 10:14 PM

just for clarities sake here is rivera's actual words about this game being important from this interview.

Exactly. We talked about starting strong. We talked about we finished strong last year, we want to pick up where we left off. We want to start strong and we're going to start physical, playing hard. Ummm...I agree and I agree with your sentiments about it. The thing that people don't realize is that this is a 16 game marathon. You want to win them all. You want to win your first one, but truthfully you want to win the one you're about to play because that's the most important one. That's our approach. We're going to focus in on one game at a time and when that game is over you want to move on to the next one and I've talked about that to these guys and I think that's probably the most important thing that we focus in on this first game.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#106 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:16 PM

"Coaches who can outline plays on a blackboard are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their players and motivate."

Vince Lombardi

This

#107 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

"So if the players trust the coach, it's not a problem. If the players don't trust the coach, it is a problem, and vice versa."
Bill Parcells

You know why coaches come out with books on motivational speaking after retiring and show up at corporate retreats and talk a lot of BS and make megabucks to do it? Because people are stupid, and emotional, and willing to go with the easy answer "that team just willed themselves to victory" than the hard one "that team played a gameplan to perfection and utilized a lot of disguised coverages to confuse the opposing offense into performing well below their norm and eked out a win."

I'm not saying that you want a robot leading your team, but it's far more about players trusting the coach's judgment than it is about the coach giving some dumbass spiel about winning and expecting motivation alone to achieve anything. But as soon as losses start to pile up, no one will trust the coach, and a lot of otherwise excellent coaches get shown the door because their motivational abilities can't make a winner out of a crappy team.

I hear you man I really do. He's right this is a 16 game season but its not the NBA 82 games its not the 300 games of the MLB. Every game matters.

Remember when Cam said he's tired of hearing "ol we'll get them next week" ? He said you keep saying that and you end up 0-16.

I don't want to hear that from Ron, with this team and his track record their may not be a next week.

Look at last season. How long did it take him to get in Chuds ass about the offense and make some changes? You know why it took so long? No urgency none.

#108 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

"So if the players trust the coach, it's not a problem. If the players don't trust the coach, it is a problem, and vice versa."
Bill Parcells

You know why coaches come out with books on motivational speaking after retiring and show up at corporate retreats and talk a lot of BS and make megabucks to do it? Because people are stupid, and emotional, and willing to go with the easy answer "that team just willed themselves to victory" than the hard one "that team played a gameplan to perfection and utilized a lot of disguised coverages to confuse the opposing offense into performing well below their norm and eked out a win."

I'm not saying that you want a robot leading your team, but it's far more about players trusting the coach's judgment than it is about the coach giving some dumbass spiel about winning and expecting motivation alone to achieve anything. But as soon as losses start to pile up, no one will trust the coach, and a lot of otherwise excellent coaches get shown the door because their motivational abilities can't make a winner out of a crappy team.

Double post

#109 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,657 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:29 PM

in case you aren't old enough to be a panther fan from the beginning,
Richardson prefers defensive minded head coaches.

Don't hold your breath.

Don't talk to me like I don't know, I'm well aware of RIchardson's meddling in the team operations. Why do you think this team fails so often? Let the people you hire do their fuging job, quit meddling.

#110 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:30 PM

That has been his mentality all along. No urgency.

"There is always next week"

just when i start to feel a little confident that he's turned a corner he opens his mouth and proves he's the same guy.

i can;t wait until he actually shows that losing isn't an exceptable outcome ever or he's fired.

no urgency week one. this is the tone he's setting. yay.

gettleman...get this clown out of town if we have a losing record going into the bye or at any point afterward and find someone who won't tolerate it.

#111 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,386 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:32 PM

I honestly feel as poor of a HC he is, it's worth it to have him assembling our defense. I don't want to lose him and hire some jerkoff like Rob Ryan to bring us a #25 ranked D.

#112 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• HUDDLER
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

Oh. My. God.

I just watched the video. And now I'm just dumbfounded at this thread.

Ron Rivera's exact words: "The most important game you play is the next one."

Wow, sounds like a total loser mentality right there.

#113 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• HUDDLER
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

just when i start to feel a little confident that he's turned a corner he opens his mouth and proves he's the same guy.

i can;t wait until he actually shows that losing isn't an exceptable outcome ever or he's fired.

no urgency week one. this is the tone he's setting. yay.

gettleman...get this clown out of town if we have a losing record going into the bye or at any point afterward and find someone who won't tolerate it.

Watch the video. He says nothing of that nature.

#114 jfo89

jfo89

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationHuntington Beach, California

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

The rivera comments were blown way out of proportion, he actually said he stressed getting off to a quick start so I don't see why everyone's crying..

#115 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 7,768 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

please for the love of god lock this thread this poo is so stupid. CONTEXT

#116 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 4,390 posts

It seems like he's brushed off the signings of mikell and wharton writing it off as "oh well guys got hurt so we had to sign them" or "we needed veteran depth" but they could both be good starters for us

#117 Panthers69473

Panthers69473

THE HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • LocationIndiana

The rivera comments were blown way out of proportion, he actually said he stressed getting off to a quick start so I don't see why everyone's crying..

Probably because like me they didnt watch the video the quotes in the op seem to be misleading but still what the actual fug garry williams will be starting over wharton

#118 jfo89

jfo89

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationHuntington Beach, California

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

Probably because like me they didnt watch the video the quotes in the op seem to be misleading but still what the actual fug garry williams will be starting over wharton

I would definitely watch the video and form your own opinion. And as far as williams and Wharton, while I may not agree with the choice, I just choose to trust the coaching staff and not stress out over it.

#119 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

Watch the video. He says nothing of that nature.

i did. you're right.

much better than what was represented in the OP. not sure how he got what he did from what rivera said.

pick up where they left off last year. start fast. want to win them all.

to be fair, rivera made enough excuses and justifications for losses last year..."there's always next week" and "rome wasn't built in a day". crap like that just pisses me off. i'm still not at all won over by rivera yet. game management and his reactions to losses are two very huge things for me and until i see changes there, he's still the same guy. his accepting that he could have done things better management-wise last year and pointing out bad decisions he made and owning them made me feel a bit better about him, but i have to see it to believe it.

#120 NavyPF4L

NavyPF4L

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:17 PM

The fug.. When did Joe Person start posting on the huddle?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.