#1 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,717 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:35 AM

From an article dated August 20th of 2011 that I looked up for info on Kalil's contract (link)

The Carolina Panthers continued their surprising spending spree Friday when they signed center Ryan Kalil to a six-year contract worth $49 million that will make him the highest-paid center in the NFL, according to team and league sources.

The Panthers transactions since the NFL lockout include re-signing its own pending free agents such as defensive end Charles Johnson (six-years, $72 million), running back DeAngelo Williams (five years, $43 million), linebackers Jon Beason (five years, $51.6 million), James Anderson (five years, $22 million) and Thomas Davis (five years, $12 million).

The Panthers also signed kicker Olindo Mare to a four-year, $12-million contract...

That wasn't the last of it, of course, but that was what they had done to date :unsure:

The article also includes this line...

After a flurry of free agent and trade activity that surprised many around the league, Panthers general manager Marty Hurney had identified Kalil's long-term deal as his next priroity.

Apparently both Yasinskas and his ESPN editors missed "priroity".

But typos aside, take a look at those contracts, all signed in relatively short order.

Oy :(

#2 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• HUDDLER
  • 5,048 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:37 AM

If TD can stay healthy his contract is a fricking bargain.

#3 RelaxImaPro

RelaxImaPro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,187 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:21 AM

So in retrospect in relatively short order we dished out the highest Center, Defensive End, Linebacker, and RB tandem contracts in the NFL.  Lol.

#4 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,093 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:55 AM

Absolutely sheer madness.

#5 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,309 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:13 AM

and we cheered as they hurt us.

#6 O-Ther

O-Ther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationMCO

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:38 AM

and everyone has re-negotiated and helped the team out (except CJ) or been cut. More looking out the windshield to where we're going and less looking in the rear view mirror please.

#7 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 6,032 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:46 AM

http://youtu.be/mqUUlBwtKNs?t=5s

#8 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:55 AM

I see what you did there. But when I read the thread title I thought of the 90s.

#9 stratopanther

stratopanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationCentral VA

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:04 AM

Freakin Mare...

#10 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,937 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:35 AM

i sure did until reality hit and realized that we blew our load on just a handful of players that were the core of a losing team and one really bad kicker.

so dumb.

#11 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • 4,530 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:43 AM

and everyone has re-negotiated and helped the team out (except CJ) or been cut. More looking out the windshield to where we're going and less looking in the rear view mirror please.

you'll find this place is loaded with rear view mirrrors

#12 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,414 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:49 AM

CJ said he was not going to return to the Panthers unless they paid him big money and they did. At that point in time the players ran the show not the FO. He is still only here for that reason though and his contract is a nightmare.

#13 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,582 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:52 AM

If Hurney decided to have a few million dollars processed into toilet paper he can wipe his ass with, that still would've been a better use of capital than the money we gave olindo mare

#14 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:55 AM

So in retrospect in relatively short order we dished out the highest Center, Defensive End, Linebacker, and RB tandem contracts in the NFL.  Lol.

uh no, we gave the highest center contract (for one of the top centers in the game), highest mlb contract (for one of the top mlbs in the game) and if you consider the rb contracts together, the highest pair of rb contracts (before chud got here, they were the top rb tandem in the game).  was it smart?  in retrospect no.

#15 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:57 AM

i sure did until reality hit and realized that we blew our load on just a handful of players that were the core of a losing team and one really bad kicker.

so dumb.

i hate that mantra "resigned the core of a losing team".  they were also the core of a 12-4 team.  not one of those resigned players were at fault for our losing season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.