Photo
- - - - -

North Carolina next to get rid of state income tax?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,768 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:56 PM

http://www.washingto...tion_ref_map=[]

#2 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,918 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

Maybe you don't ever go to the Drudge Report like you say, but this was also just on the Drudge Report.

As far as the tax cuts go, great.  Good for them.  As long as they provide enough cuts to programs to cover the 600 million they have already cut in taxes plus these new cuts in taxes and don't further inhibit the progress this state has made which has made it one of the best places to live in the United States for the last 20 or so years.

I'm not sure that is possible, and more likely they won't make any real cuts and just cut taxes because it is good for elections even though it is bad for the State.

#3 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,494 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:59 PM

I don't think I would support doing away with income tax entirely.  But I would like to see more user fees.  I would especially like to see I95 and i85 become toll roads in order to get back some of the money we spend when we travel north.

#4 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,774 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

95 in particular, its 80 percent NY to FLA

#5 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 7,108 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

"...don't further inhibit the progress this state has made which has made it one of the best places to live in the United States for the last 20 or so years...."

Any progress made has been effectively demolished by McCrory in the last several months.  Now, with the second highest unemployment rate in the country, much of it along the I-95 corridor, some of the highest state taxes in the country, among the highest gas taxes in the country and ridiculous insurance rates...

I lived in NC from 1993-2000 and we've recently moved back to NC from Virginia after a 13 year absence. Gas is higher, grocery costs much higher, insurance is crazy and property taxes easily triple what I paid in VA. Fug NC, but we're stuck here for at least 3 years...

#6 bigjohn

bigjohn

Block and Tackle

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:20 PM

"...don't further inhibit the progress this state has made which has made it one of the best places to live in the United States for the last 20 or so years...."

Any progress made has been effectively demolished by McCrory in the last several months.  Now, with the second highest unemployment rate in the country, much of it along the I-95 corridor, some of the highest state taxes in the country, among the highest gas taxes in the country and ridiculous insurance rates...

I lived in NC from 1993-2000 and we've recently moved back to NC from Virginia after a 13 year absence. Gas is higher, grocery costs much higher, insurance is crazy and property taxes easily triple what I paid in VA. Fug NC, but we're stuck here for at least 3 years...

So the plan is drop income tax.

Surely the gas tax, sales tax and property taxes will automatically drop as well.

This is crazy but the idea will get a lot of votes.

#7 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,412 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

http://www.carolinah...han-just-links/

#8 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:50 PM

I just don't know how they plan to make up for dropping it.

No income tax can work in a place like Texas or Alaska where they have immense mineral wealth. Or places like Nevada and Florida where they get a ton of money from tourism taxes.

Not really sure how Wyoming and South Dakota make it work though. Being two of the least populated states might be a reason it can work though. Not really very knowledgeable about their tax system.

We don't have much in the way of natural resources in NC and while we have a healthy tourism industry, we don't have anything like Florida or the gambling industry in Nevada.

#9 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,506 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:58 AM

consumption tax?

#10 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,331 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:10 AM

You've already created a consumption tax on food which moves the tax burden to the poor and middle class just to give the wealthy a tax cut.

#11 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,768 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:16 AM

Because the wealthy don't eat...or eat higher priced items.

#12 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,647 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:20 AM

Please make every effort to leave as soon as possible.

#13 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,774 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

Because the wealthy don't eat...or eat higher priced items.

I didn't think it would be possible for you to increase your utter cluelessness, supply side butt kissing or outright stupidity more than you've shown the past few months but I'm man enough to admit I was wrong.

#14 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,465 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:34 AM

Any progress made has been effectively demolished by McCrory in the last several months. Now, with the second highest unemployment rate in the country, much of it along the I-95 corridor, some of the highest state taxes in the country, among the highest gas taxes in the country and ridiculous insurance rates...

We have the highest gas tax because we have one if the lowest cigarette and alcohol taxes.

Let me know as soon as you can leave...I will gladly pay for your one way bus ticket out of our state.

#15 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 7,108 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:34 AM

Please make every effort to leave as soon as possible.

On second thought, the idea of sticking around just to annoy you will be worth it....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com