Photo
- - - - -

North Carolina next to get rid of state income tax?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,528 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:35 AM

We have the highest gas tax because we have one if the lowest cigarette and alcohol taxes.

Let me know as soon as you can leave...I will gladly pay for your one way bus ticket out of our state.

Don't smoke and don't drink that much... thanks for your thoughts, though, but see my response to Kurb and apply as needed.

Don't get butt hurt because your state has taken huge steps in the wrong direction, just do something to change it.

#17 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,826 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:55 AM

Don't smoke and don't drink that much... thanks for your thoughts, though, but see my response to Kurb and apply as needed.

Don't get butt hurt because your state has taken huge steps in the wrong direction, just do something to change it.

I don't smoke at all and don't drink much (outside of Panther Tailgates). I was just pointing out that the high gas tax is a result if lower other taxes. I remember several years back when there was a proposal to raise the cigarette and alcohol tax rates....there was screaming that this would be unfair to the poor and muddle class.

#18 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,541 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:58 AM

On second thought, the idea of sticking around just to annoy you will be worth it....

Nail's don't annoy Hammers.

#19 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,528 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:10 AM

I don't smoke at all and don't drink much (outside of Panther Tailgates). I was just pointing out that the high gas tax is a result if lower other taxes. I remember several years back when there was a proposal to raise the cigarette and alcohol tax rates....there was screaming that this would be unfair to the poor and muddle class.

It's a difficult proposition as a higher tobacco tax would undoubtedly effect the growers still in the state, although that number seems to be shrinking regardless. Seems to me a limited time subsidy to tobacco growers derived from the tobacco taxes or an incentive program to change what product is being grown might be an alternative. A lot of the tobacco fields surrounding the areas I've lived in the state are now growing something else.

With respect to the alcohol taxes, I'd never seen state run alcohol businesses until moving to NC back in the early 90's. I don't understand it except as a source of revenue for the state, but even without the ABC, there are still state taxes collected on alcohol when it is brought in to the state. Privatizing the liquor store business would create more jobs, reduce the state's expenses on maintaining these stores, payroll, purchasing, etc. and put it all on the private businessman. The state will still collect the taxes and collect revenues from the sale of liquor licenses.

#20 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:16 AM

Because the wealthy don't eat...or eat higher priced items.

They do, but someone that makes 5x what a middle class earner makes does not eat 5x as much or buy 5x as much stuff. Most wealthy people don't go out and buy new appliances and cars every year just because they can. Some yes, but most do not. 

Nick Haneur explains it well:

#21 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,425 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:47 AM

They do, but someone that makes 5x what a middle class earner makes does not eat 5x as much or buy 5x as much stuff. Most wealthy people don't go out and buy new appliances and cars every year just because they can. Some yes, but most do not. 

Nick Haneur explains it well:

It's not necessarily about eating 5x as much...or buying 5x as much...it's about buying the one items that cost 2-3 and even 5 times more than the norm.  Texas and Florida seem to be doing pretty well under their tax system/economic plans, and to simply think the vast burden is going to fall on the poor is as much as a myth as believing that voter id requirements will suppress minority voting. 

#22 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:35 AM

It's not necessarily about eating 5x as much...or buying 5x as much...it's about buying the one items that cost 2-3 and even 5 times more than the norm.  Texas and Florida seem to be doing pretty well under their tax system/economic plans, and to simply think the vast burden is going to fall on the poor is as much as a myth as believing that voter id requirements will suppress minority voting. 

Texas is the Saudi Arabia of the United States.

Florida is the most popular tourist destination in the U.S. They get more money from tourism than from any other industry.

NC has very little in the way of oil or gas like Texas and while we have a decent tourism industry, it is nothing like Florida.

All states are not equal so you cannot say "It works in state x so it will work in state y too."

I'm not saying it WON'T be a good thing, I just don't see how we make up for the lost revenue and don't think it will work in NC. We don't have the ability to rely on outsiders (whether visiting as tourists or buying natural resource exports) to take the burden off of residents like Florida, Texas, Alaska, and Nevada can.

You're also crazy if you think that wealthier people consistently purchase things that are costing several times the norm. It just doesn't work like that. Some things yes, but the majority of wealthy people are just normal people.

One last thing, it is not about the overall burden, it is the burden in proportion to income. Increasing the consumption tax on poor people and lower middle class people will simply push more people onto government support programs to make up the difference. They currently pay very little, and sometimes nothing, in state income tax, yet they still struggle to make ends meet. If their cost of goods goes up with increased consumption tax, they're losing ground and more will end up on welfare programs.

#23 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,773 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:16 AM

You've already created a consumption tax on food which moves the tax burden to the poor and middle class just to give the wealthy a tax cut.

probably middle class
poor using food stamps, WIC, etc already

#24 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,832 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

which is cool, right

#25 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,773 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

Not exactly cool, but not exactly the old standby quote of "it hurts the poor"

I have mentioned many times about the worry on a fair tax and consumption tax. Middle class will get creamed on about all things as poor gets freebies and rich pay the campaign funds(left and right) so they get by.

#26 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,832 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

Because the wealthy don't eat...or eat higher priced items.

I dont even know  anymore if you are just dumb or completely ignorant

#27 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,832 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

Ask madhatter what his monthly food budget is then ask someone that is making $50k a year with the same number of dependents and see if it equals out.

(Nothing against you mr hats...just trying to show an example of how making 8x more than someone doesn't mean your food budget is 8x higher. thus the burden has been moved to the middle class.)

#28 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,826 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:17 AM

Ask madhatter what his monthly food budget is then ask someone that is making $50k a year with the same number of dependents and see if it equals out.

(Nothing against you mr hats...just trying to show an example of how making 8x more than someone doesn't mean your food budget is 8x higher. thus the burden has been moved to the middle class.)

You are correct Panthro.

We do eat out more, but the food bill is not comensurate with income levels.

#29 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,832 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

Thanks for paying for the stadium upgrades by eating out more

#30 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,826 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for paying for the stadium upgrades by eating out more

I do what I can.....but has more to do with the fact that my wife hates to cook than anything else.

We have been married for over 18 years....and if you asked me if she is a good cook, I would honestly have to say that I really don't know.

Also...I am a fan of a sales tax much like Pennsylvania has. 

Most food and clothing are tax free....but more luxury items and most eating out in restaurants is still taxable.  Seems to be an equitable scheme.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com