• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#71 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

What if a human effectively creates whatever supernatural deity he or she believes in?

Then I believe in the deity that gives me like a billion dollars.

#72 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

Moderators

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:20 PM

That always sounds nice and if everyone believed that it would probably lead to a more peaceful society. However there is too many contradictions amongst them all for my brain to accept that idea. Jesus can't be the only true god, and it also be correct that there are no gods, while also correct that the millions of Hindu gods exist. You get what I'm sayin.

If you can make that jive, I'm all ears, respectfully.

I think those contradictions are man made.

If God is indeed all encompassing could God reveal himself in a number of ways. What if (sorry for the masculine slant) he is the million gods of the Hindi or of the ancient Greeks. Perhaps he reveals himself in different ways and since man is left up to interpret what God is. .. there in lies the contradictions and many interpretations.

#73 Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas

So you're telling me there's a chance....

• PipPipPipPip
  • LocationAspin, Colorado
HUDDLER

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

not trying to single you out Lloyd at all, but how do you know which higher being to "bet on"? 

are you basically just going with your gut?  I am honestly curious on this because I have heard a few posters here suggest that someone like myself, that holds no beliefs really, just worship the Christian God so I can get into heaven... but there are a lot of paths to deity-granted salvation so I don't really like that idea.

That's actually a great question, and to be completely honest, I have no answer. Who's to say one religion is right verses another? This is yet another problem I have with organized religion. This is also why I said that I believe in a maker, not a specific deity. 

#74 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:12 PM

You are looking at it the wrong way.  You should start a deity where other people give you a billion dollars.

Joining a religion causes you give money, and takes credit for anything good that may happens to you.

#75 mav1234

mav1234

HUDDLER

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:56 PM

Ehh I was more talking about the afterlife; obviously it does not seem that whatever deities exist frequently alter reality as far as most of us can tell to do things like that. :P

#76 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• LocationAlaska
HUDDLER

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:18 PM

You are looking at it the wrong way.  You should start a deity where other people give you a billion dollars.

Joining a religion causes you give money, and takes credit for anything good that may happens to you.

Pat Robertson is getting a little long in the tooth, maybe Rodeo could step into his shoes and make a few billion in change.   

Seems like there is never a shortage of people eager to give their money away to shysters in hopes of proving to God that they are worthy of entering the pearly gates of heaven.

#77 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

HUDDLER

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

Pat Robertson is getting a little long in the tooth, maybe Rodeo could step into his shoes and make a few billion in change.

Seems like there is never a shortage of people eager to give their money away to shysters in hopes of proving to God that they are worthy of entering the pearly gates of heaven.

Tell people what they want to hear and then ask for money.

I've considered encouraging my son to go into that field. Are u really taking advantage of people when they are so willing and happily give?

#78 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• LocationAsheville, NC
SUPPORTER

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:17 PM

dude you just started a rapid fire matt dillahunty youtube marathon. thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users