Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darth Biscuit

Biscuit's Droid Maxx Review

27 posts in this topic

So my daughter has a non-data  line on my account. We're both eligible for upgrade and of course she wants an iPhone. If I made hers a data line is this still possible?  I've had unlimted data for years. Or maybe I could make hers unlimited since I'm not a huge data user.

I don't think you can do anything with hers... sorry.  The trick for yours is to upgrade her line with the new smart phone (this only works directly thru Verizon, Best Buy or Costco).  It will automatically upgrade her line to a data line.  You MUST activate the new phone on her line... but then you can use their website to transfer "her" new phone to your line and it will drop hers back down to a dumb no-data line.   You get the new phone, her line goes back to the way it was.

It's a loophole.

Some of the "discount" vendors have requirements that you keep the data package on the line it's activated on for a certain period of time, Verizon itself does not.

Search it online, lots of info on it.

1 person likes this

The battery life use to be really good on the Nexus.  I think it's newer versions of Android are taxing the hardware so much that it just runs the battery down quicker.  

This was a couple of weeks after I bought the phone. This was pretty normal use, except for the fact that I wasn't around a ton of wifi.....

Screenshot_2012-01-21-19-11-531_zps9482d

Now I'm lucky to get 12-14 hours on a full charge with normal use....

Cant get my battery to charge now :(

Happened before and I got it worked out, not so lucky this afternoon :(

I'm thinking about getting a new phone soon, my battery seems to dying fast lately

Great review! I'm strongly considering a Motorola for my next phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Bump.  got the moto x yesterday.  so far I'm impressed.  Even got the Kit Kat update last night. Google pushed this one out fast.  Full screen (status and nav bar are overlaid on the wall paper)...camera action is very cool.  OK google now...I can even say "find my phone" and it will ring.  This feature alone will save me countless hours :)

I like the OK google now and use it some, but until it gets a little more interactive, it's fairly limited for me.

The Maxx is supposedly going to get 4.4 at some point...  we'll see I guess.  It's currently on 4.2.2 on Verizon.

Bump. got the moto x yesterday. so far I'm impressed. Even got the Kit Kat update last night. Google pushed this one out fast. Full screen (status and nav bar are overlaid on the wall paper)...camera action is very cool. OK google now...I can even say "find my phone" and it will ring. This feature alone will save me countless hours :)

Thats pretty nice right there...I have a note 2 and am always forgetting where I put it due to it being too big to keep in my pocket while im working.

I like the OK google now and use it some, but until it gets a little more interactive, it's fairly limited for me.

The Maxx is supposedly going to get 4.4 at some point...  we'll see I guess.  It's currently on 4.2.2 on Verizon.

I think the more  you use it, the better it gets, but yeah I don't need to talk to my phone all that much.

The "assist" app with the driving sensor deal is very cool.  tells me who's calling with option to answer or ignore. Haven't gotten any texts yet while driving but will ask the wife to help me test that this afternoon.

I think the more  you use it, the better it gets, but yeah I don't need to talk to my phone all that much.

The "assist" app with the driving sensor deal is very cool.  tells me who's calling with option to answer or ignore. Haven't gotten any texts yet while driving but will ask the wife to help me test that this afternoon.

Yes, now the driving mode is really cool.  It will ask if you want it to read the text to you.

I wish it was able to send texts without manual interaction, but even if you talk to it you still have to manually click it to send the text... and it doesn't understand you very well in a moving car with the road noise, etc., unless you pick it up and hold it close.

I just tried that 'find my phone' thing... I didn't even know it did that...

Honestly I haven't spent much time in trying to learn what the voice commands are capable of.

Did it work?  I read that the find my phone was a kit kat feature. 

I have a Motorola bluetooth thing in my car, that works with MyMotoSpeak, that allows you to read texts and respond totally hands-free.  Some of the times it misses what you want to say and its frustrating a bit, but the device itself does a pretty good job of blocking road noise, etc.  I want to try it with my new phone without the software, see if it works.