#1 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,261 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

...with Jonathan Jones (link)

The offensive line, despite having two linemen with Pro Bowls on their resumes, is the biggest question mark on the team.

But Gettleman said it’s just a matter of time before the line solidifies and begins playing as one.

“I think you’ve got five guys that know how to play, now we’ve got to get them to play together,” Gettleman said during practice Wednesday. “The offensive line is the most difficult group to coordinate with. There’s five guys, they’ve got to move as one, think as one. They’ve got to trust each other. They’ve got to know what the other guy’s going to do when blitz and movement starts to happen. So there’s a lot of things going on in there. Do I have confidence they can do it? Yes, without even hesitating.

“I’m up in New York and we have the same offensive line together for five years. It was easy. They just knew each other. We’re not there yet. But these are very competent football players.”

And talks specifically about Chris Scott

Left tackle Jordan Gross and center Ryan Kalil are the stalwarts on the line. Byron Bell and Garry Williams are still settling into their positions as right tackle and right guard, respectively, and at left guard, veteran Travelle Wharton is expected to start with last year’s starter Amini Silatolu “still out” for Week 1, he said Wednesday.

It’s unclear what will happen to that position when Silatolu returns from a hamstring injury. Silatolu has only played left guard in his one-year career and Wharton hasn’t played on the right side in his nine years in the league.

“I don’t think there’s any issue,” Gettleman said. “I think the guy you guys are forgetting about is (reserve guard) Chris Scott, who we picked up early in camp and really has done a (heck) of a job. And he’s got the flexibility to move right and left. So there’s flexibility there.”

#2 mjligon

mjligon

@mleezy53

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:54 AM

Still doesn't make me feel any better, but im just a dumb fan.

#3 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

Freddy Frashbear

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,793 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

HAAHHGHH MAAAHHHLIEEZZ

#4 Phil

Phil

• HUDDLER
  • 2,793 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:59 AM

So Wharton is getting the start?  I'm ok with this.  Hopefully Amini is healthy enough to rotate in this week.  I am a little concerned, but there is plenty more to be excited about this week.  I'll just sit back and see what happens.

#5 RelaxImaPro

RelaxImaPro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

Oline becoming one...

Take out 'li' and oline becomes one...

Cut somebody named Li.

Sign Jet Li to be RT then cut him.

Or hell keep him, whatever I don't care, he might actually be an improvement.

#6 NavyPF4L

NavyPF4L

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:03 AM

I have to say there is a lot of truth to what he said. Even in our better years the o line started off slow and rocky only to gel and start demolishing opposing d lines midway through the season. We will just have to be patient and hope they do it sooner rather then later. Hopefully not lose us any games or get cam killed before so. =\

#7 NavyPF4L

NavyPF4L

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

Oline becoming one...

Take out 'li' and oline becomes one...

Cut somebody named Li.

Sign Jet Li to be RT then cut him.

Or hell keep him, whatever I don't care, he might actually be an improvement.

Deep pooh right there.

#8 RelaxImaPro

RelaxImaPro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:08 AM

Deep pooh right there.

#9 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,781 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

as usual i'm torn between trusting a professional and nagging fear leftover from the hurney era where professionals weren't to be trusted

#10 countryboi

countryboi

• HUDDLER
  • 2,418 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC born and raised

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

I just dont know how gettleman can look at this Oline and be ok with it, Silatolu, williams and scott are as bad as they get, I trust that he knows what he is talking about but i have an awful feeling they are trying to spit shine a turd. 

#11 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,630 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

I do not buy it

#12 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,171 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

we have two old guys on the OL under one year deals and a few other piece meals added in.

i think we're several years away from having an OL that is consistantly good and that can come into the season already gelling.

i'm not sold at all on this OL.

#13 Chaos

Chaos

@chaos_cltsports

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

Time for SCP to get a Chris Scott Jersey. What number is he? Maybe he will emerge as a long term contributor. I'm optimistic and IGIT.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#14 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,261 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

Scott is 63, if I remember right.

#15 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,706 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:45 AM

as usual i'm torn between trusting a professional and nagging fear leftover from the hurney era where professionals weren't to be trusted

I know how you feel. Getts it's worlds away from hurney. Have faith and it will be rewarded

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com