Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Seattle shouldn't forget DeAngelo Williams (article)

Carolina Panthers

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,470 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:04 AM

Another dime by David Newton. I'm really really starting to like this guy. He's way better than Yas has ever been already imo. Anyways here's the meat and potatoes.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- So the Seattle Seahawks say they can't let Cam Newton run on them, that they must force the Carolina Panthers quarterback to throw to beat them.

"Which I don't think he can do,'' Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner said in ESPN.com colleague Terry Blount's report. Two words: DeAngelo Williams

Carolina's goal is to go to a more traditional running game that doesn't rely totally on Newton's legs. Not that they won't use the read-option that was successful a year ago, but they want to use it less and the running backs more.

And my personal favorite....

"We've got a lot of naysayers, man," Williams said. "They can believe what they want to believe, but when the clock starts on Sunday, you ask that defense over there at the end of the game if [we] have a running game, an O-line, a receiver or a quarterback. "They're the ones that will have to defend us."

http://espn.go.com/b...forget-williams

In that last quote DeAngelo pretty much sums up how the whole country/media looks at us... At least how they'll look at us until Sunday!!!!

#2 Carolinaboy1979

Carolinaboy1979

• NEWB
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationThe Piedmont

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:04 AM

Love what Dwill said....I hope he stays pissed off while he's running the ball

#3 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,752 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:25 AM

I was impressed with DLo in the preseason. Showed great burst, hit the hold decisively and doesn't appear to show any drop off.

#4 xav8tor

xav8tor

Foul Weather Fan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationOff the Grid

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:38 AM

I was impressed with DLo in the preseason. Showed great burst, hit the hold decisively and doesn't appear to show any drop off.

What games were you watching?  Don't get me wrong, I really like DWill and the Panthers as a whole, but his performance, and that of our offense in general during the preseason, was far less than stellar.  In three games (DNP in game 4) here are his stats:

5 for 10

12 for 39 (plus 1 reception for 3)

4 for 2

The only holes I saw him hit were the ones between the butt cheeks of the guys he ran into on two consecutive plays in the Ravens game.

#5 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:53 AM

I wasn't very impressed with Deangelo in the preseason. Hopefully he is just saving it for Sunday. He was out played by a rookie.

#6 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,752 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:08 AM

When there were holes to hit, he hit them.

I think some of what we saw was him trying to stay true to the play call and limit the number of times he bounced outside. There were some very uncharacteristic runs into the backs of the O-linemen when there was daylight outside. You could see his helmet turn towards the actual gap- so I have to assume he was told to abide by the play design.

This also makes sense given the youth and question marks on the OL. You want the OL to see on tape what happens when they don't do their jobs. You can't assume the RB is going to bail you out with a good cutback for a positive gain.

#7 PntherPryd

PntherPryd

Relic

• Moderators
  • 1,987 posts
  • LocationWilmington

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:10 AM

Forget Seattle.  I'm hoping Carolina doesn't forget Williams.

#8 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,752 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

I can't imagine that happening with Shula. Chud? Yep, but not Shula.

#9 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,752 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:16 AM

I can't imagine that happening with Shula. Chud? Yep, but not Shula.

#10 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 4,802 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

David Newton also said the only chance we have in the game is to keep it close. He picked us to lose.

#11 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• HUDDLER
  • 5,440 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:21 AM

at this point, i want these guys to shut up and win.

there wouldn't be any naysayers, doubters, haters, etc, etc, if carolina would just consistently win games. 

#12 Dick the Butcher

Dick the Butcher

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,373 posts
  • LocationCornelius, NC

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

Why is it taboo to point out Cam's inaccuracies in the preseason, yet A-OK to harp on D-Will's performance?

#13 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,357 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

When there were holes to hit, he hit them.

I think some of what we saw was him trying to stay true to the play call and limit the number of times he bounced outside. There were some very uncharacteristic runs into the backs of the O-linemen when there was daylight outside. You could see his helmet turn towards the actual gap- so I have to assume he was told to abide by the play design.

This also makes sense given the youth and question marks on the OL. You want the OL to see on tape what happens when they don't do their jobs. You can't assume the RB is going to bail you out with a good cutback for a positive gain.

I seriously doubt a vet in preseason was told to run into bodies and piles and away from daylight.

Williams ever since Hoov left...Williams is a different runner. He needs someone to clear him space between the tackles IMO. He has been very inconsistent the last 2 years IMO and that is why Stewart is the preferred RB....Stew doesn't have 1 big run to cancel out 8 poor ones

#14 Jrock88

Jrock88

huddle vet

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

i still believe in Williams, hes my flex option this week in fantasy(over Smitty).... he must get 20+ carries if we are going to beat Seattle

none of this shotgun draw/ read option crap either.... Williams was never meant for that , we need to line him up behind tolb in the IForm and pound the rock

if we abandon the running game Seattle will crush us, their secondary is too good

#15 Cpt slay a ho

Cpt slay a ho

Lord Flacko

• HUDDLER
  • 2,151 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

i hope Williams proves alot of you guys wrong this year........

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com