Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carolina Panthers Seattle shouldn't forget DeAngelo Williams (article)

38 posts in this topic

Posted

When there were holes to hit, he hit them.

I think some of what we saw was him trying to stay true to the play call and limit the number of times he bounced outside. There were some very uncharacteristic runs into the backs of the O-linemen when there was daylight outside. You could see his helmet turn towards the actual gap- so I have to assume he was told to abide by the play design.

This also makes sense given the youth and question marks on the OL. You want the OL to see on tape what happens when they don't do their jobs. You can't assume the RB is going to bail you out with a good cutback for a positive gain.

I seriously doubt a vet in preseason was told to run into bodies and piles and away from daylight.

Williams ever since Hoov left...Williams is a different runner. He needs someone to clear him space between the tackles IMO. He has been very inconsistent the last 2 years IMO and that is why Stewart is the preferred RB....Stew doesn't have 1 big run to cancel out 8 poor ones

Posted

i still believe in Williams, hes my flex option this week in fantasy(over Smitty).... he must get 20+ carries if we are going to beat Seattle

none of this shotgun draw/ read option crap either.... Williams was never meant for that , we need to line him up behind tolb in the IForm and pound the rock

if we abandon the running game Seattle will crush us, their secondary is too good

1 person likes this

Posted

i hope Williams proves alot of you guys wrong this year........

1 person likes this

Posted

I guarantee a 100 yards game for #34 tomorrow.

Posted

Start Williams on your fantasy team this week.

Posted

i still believe in Williams, hes my flex option this week in fantasy(over Smitty).... he must get 20+ carries if we are going to beat Seattle

none of this shotgun draw/ read option crap either.... Williams was never meant for that , we need to line him up behind tolb in the IForm and pound the rock

if we abandon the running game Seattle will crush us, their secondary is too good

Tolbert isn't Hoov....lead blocking isn't his thing. He can do it but he is basically a RB. He wasnt brought here to lead block.

Instead of that, might as well just line Tolbert up without a lead blocker and use that freed up man to help draw defenders away.

Williams' biggest strength was always popping stuff outside... Seattle is too fast for that. Gotta go straight. Williams doesn't do that and contact well....no matter how much we wish it so

Posted

Tolbert isn't Hoov....lead blocking isn't his thing. He can do it but he is basically a RB. He wasnt brought here to lead block.

Instead of that, might as well just line Tolbert up without a lead blocker and use that freed up man to help draw defenders away.

Williams' biggest strength was always popping stuff outside... Seattle is too fast for that. Gotta go straight. Williams doesn't do that and contact well....no matter how much we wish it so

I disagree, Williams had more success when lining up in the I and running between the tackles early in his career. sure he had success bouncing outside when it wasnt there, but thats not the only thing he can do.

and it really doesnt matter who is at fullback.... its fullback... go hit someone, not complicated

Posted

I love the guy, but D-Lo sure sounds confident for a man who looked like complete ass in the preseason (and 90% of last season).  It's good that he's confident, just hoping that hopefully he knows something we don't.

Sorry, but I just don't have any faith in this run game this year.  Considering that we're supposedly focused so much on the run this year it's got me kind of cautious.  If we make any noise this year it's probably going to be because of Cam's arm and his miracle scrambles.

Posted

I disagree, Williams had more success when lining up in the I and running between the tackles early in his career. sure he had success bouncing outside when it wasnt there, but thats not the only thing he can do.

and it really doesnt matter who is at fullback.... its fullback... go hit someone, not complicated

Yes, when he had one of the best lead blockers in the game paving his path through the mess.

see, you aren't giving Hoov near enough credit for the great work he did. A lead blocker isn't just a warm body. Hoov was top 2 back around 2008....

all that aside, it doesn't help Williams goes down virtually with almost all contact now.

Posted

supposedly we are going to a more pro style offensive scheme, so thats an upgrade. jury is still out on the offensive line play though. I like our tackles and C , guard play will be the big question

Williams will have more opportunites this year, and hopefully in a more suitable offense for him...so we will be able to gauge what he has left in the tank. 

Posted

all that aside, it doesn't help Williams goes down virtually with almost all contact now.

only if you grab his dreadlocks LOL

Posted

Most of williams long runs are up the middle.

It's nice that so many fans don't know this as well as they should.

Tolbert has lead blocked for 1000 yard rushers, so

Once again, our fans don't seem to know our own players.

I

2 people like this