Photo
* - - - - 3 votes

4th and inches

Best Answer Rook35200, 08 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

49ers were on the Packers side of the field, Panthers were on their own side. That's the difference, not the coaching.

I doubt that matters. Harbaugh on 4th and inches would have gone for it if he were our coach today.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#31 Toolbox

Toolbox

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts
  • Locationnc

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

. . .in your own side of the field.

I swear to God, i think some of you have never seen a football game before.

The 4th and inches was close to the 50 yard line.. that's not a bad place to attempt to go for it.. if its back at the 20 you would have a point.

#32 rico6

rico6

Shit.

• HUDDLER
  • 6,712 posts

it's not the 4th and inches that point out, it's Russel Wilson with his all-star cast of Wide Receivers outright raping our secondary.

Russel had what Cam was supposed to have today. Bizzaro week definitely.

#33 Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas

So you're telling me there's a chance....

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • LocationAspin, Colorado

I think the more disgusting decision was to have the ball around your own 30, around 35 seconds left in the half, all three timeouts left, Seahags get the second half kick off, and you do nothing. Couldn't we have at least tried to pick up 30-40 yards to attempt a FG. Did he really think the Hags were only going to score 3 points? Yeah I know it's taking a risk. But you have to take risks. That conservative poo ain't going to win you nothing.

#34 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,335 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

I think the more disgusting decision was to have the ball around your own 30, around 35 seconds left in the half, all three timeouts left, Seahags get the second half kick off, and you do nothing. Couldn't we have at least tried to pick up 30-40 yards to attempt a FG. Did he really think the Hags were only going to score 3 points? Yeah I know it's taking a risk. But you have to take risks. That conservative poo ain't going to win you nothing.

They had 2 timeouts as well, if we turn the ball over they could do the same exact thing AND receive the 2nd half kick off.

#35 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 16,199 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

I don't know that anyone could make the wrong call there. Your QB is 6 foot 5, built like a linebacker, and has incredible drive in piles. put him under center, run him up the gut.

Don't get me wrong, if it's me, that is my exact mindset there. I think statistically we're something like 24 for 25 on converting 3rd and 4th downs with 1 or less to go, IIRC. That is because of Cam.

But, at the point he passed it up the first time, I was okay because I was still hoping/believing we were going to suddenly show that aggressive-downfield approach and start racking up points... Which never happened, lol.

#36 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,292 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:04 PM

this times ∞

pissed me off the first time he did it. even more pissed off the second time. it was at that moment i realized that he is the same lame coach he's been the first couple years.

i don't care if the players like him. they aren't winning with him. he can't get the job done.

find someone that can. if he's got a losing record going into the bye, he needs to be gone.

no more excuses. just win. if the players don't want him gone, then they need to make up for his insufficiences.

You wanted him to go for it on the Panther 34? Up? Against a Seahawk team that wasnt doing much at that point?

4th and 2nd at the 50? Up....against against a Seattle team that wasnt doing much?

neither of those are comparable to Atl IMO.

Should of punted. Should it of allowed the big TD pass and fumbled

#37 Semaj

Semaj

FIRE RON RIVERA

• HUDDLER
  • 2,115 posts
  • LocationPalm Coast, Fl

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

YOU ALWAYS GO FOR IT ON 4TH AND INCHES. ESPECIALLY AGAINST A GOOD TEAM IN A CLOSE GAME!!!!!

and yes I know that I am yelling.

and at home!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#38 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

Look up Tom Brady's % on 4th and 1/inches and then tell me god damn Cam wouldn't get it....

#39 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,292 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

and at home!

You don't go for it on your own 34 while leading at home.

#40 Semaj

Semaj

FIRE RON RIVERA

• HUDDLER
  • 2,115 posts
  • LocationPalm Coast, Fl

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

I'm probably in the minority here, but I didn't disagree with that call. Mainly because I didn't trust Shula to make the right call to get the first and second, because there was so much game left, and third, we were somewhere around our own 35 or 40 IIRC. Had it been in the 4th, absolutely.

And as made a abundantly clear in my posts, I hate Rivera, so I'm definitely not defending the idiot.

should have done a qb sneak with our 6'5 250lb qb. You really don't believe cam can move the ball 1 inch. He could have even leapt over the line and got it. Either why they are not stopping him.

#41 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

This is why rivera needs to take a hike and gettleman hire a coach with some damn balls.

on the wrong side of the 50? yeah Rivera made the right choice, sorry I know it seems like a safe call but it would have been dumb to go for it there while we were winning the game.

#42 Semaj

Semaj

FIRE RON RIVERA

• HUDDLER
  • 2,115 posts
  • LocationPalm Coast, Fl

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

We had two opportunities on fourth and short, never went for it. That being said, most coaches do not go for it. Rivera played it by the book. It is the book that is wrong.

resurrection of Fox ball.

#43 Semaj

Semaj

FIRE RON RIVERA

• HUDDLER
  • 2,115 posts
  • LocationPalm Coast, Fl

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:17 PM

You don't go for it on your own 34 while leading at home.

hell no on ur own 34. I am talking about the 50 yd line here.

#44 Semaj

Semaj

FIRE RON RIVERA

• HUDDLER
  • 2,115 posts
  • LocationPalm Coast, Fl

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

I was OK with all tons calls on 4th down and end of the half. I had an issue with the punt at the 50. We had a defense that needed a sustained offensive drive by the O in order to rest. Not to mention the momentum that would have been gained. On addition what did we have to lose. Everybody believed we were going to lose. The pressure was on the Hawks to win this game.

#45 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

yep, right call alright.

and we still lost.

We were massive underdogs this game.  If we lose, so what? We were probably gonna lose anyway. But if we make it....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com